“Best burger in Madison!”

Dotty Dumpling's Dowry
Ranked #3 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Description: Dotty Dumpling's Dowry is a Madison institution favored by the locals for over 40 years. Located in the heart of downtown, Dotty's offers award winning hamburgers, Friday fish fry, homemade soups and chili, fresh salads and so much more! Cozy up in a booth or at the bar and pick from 24 Wisconsin craft beers on tap while enjoying some Blues or Motown music in the back round. Dotty's is a Madison tradition enjoyed by guests of all ages!
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Every burger that I've true here has been excellent! Try the bison burger! Tasty an decently healthy for you. Atmosphere is pretty loud and it is always crowded. Service is quick and friendly. Great place to go for a quick dinner but not somewhere to sit and chat.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Pub atmosphere appealed to all of us: me, 9 yr old son, and my 67 yr old mother. Something for each of us: music from the 60s, decor that was interesting and fun for my 9 yr old, which made for a pleasurable dining experience. Food was superb!
I'm "ruined" for burgers from anywhere else. I highly recommend the melting pot burger. YUM!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Good burger, nice and pink in the middle, good soft bun and a nice slice of cheddar on top.

We also had some deep-fried macaroni and cheese, which was a lot less weird than it sounds. Actually pretty good. Also, good iced tea, something that's hard to find up here in Wisconsin.

Service was prompt and friendly, tea glass was refilled as soon as it got empty.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is THE best place for burgers in Madison. I've eaten at a new place every time I visit Madison, and this place is still tops in my book for lunch. I go back often to get my burger fix. Great value, good flavors, and quick service. It's a pub-grub kind of place (my favorite), and there is a good variety of burgers to choose from. They have lamb and bison burgers in their repertoire. I definitely recommend the lamb burger.

The place is half way between the Capitol and U of W campus, in a funky, young, hip area of the city. If you find yourself in Madison, you do not want to miss this place for a burger and beer.

1  Thank bradb5300
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The prices looked great until we saw the portions - tiny burgers, tiny order of onion rings, tiny order of fried mushrooms. Service was terrible. We should have left after our waitress first appearance at the table. Hurried to the point of rude. Zero eye contact. She acted like she was doing us a favor - but luckily in Madison, a good burger is not hard to find. To note, the place was about half full and we were in and out in an hour. No reason to rush us with open tables everywhere, right? I will not go back to Dotty's and if it had been me paying the check, I would have stiffed the waitress. I personally have about 10 years experience waiting tables and this was the first time ever that I was tempted to leave a $0 tip. Avoid Dotty's. Go anywhere else in Madison to find a normally sized burger and friendly service.