“Nitty Gritty”

Ranked #90 of 1,007 Restaurants in Madison
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nitty Gritty has great burgers and is a Madison favorite with the students. I think anyone who wants great burgers and a beer would like Nitty Gritty provided they didn't mind the noise of a popular bar.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This place has gone downhill recently... The food is okay and the birthday special is great. How can you not like a place that serves you free beer on your birthday?

Here's the bottom line though, I've never had worse service anywhere else in Madison than this place and I'm mainly talking about the bartenders...they all have attitudes and seem like they hate their jobs... Maybe they do but I can't speculate.

Last week I was there I opened a tab they held my credit card and requested my personnel ID. I thought they were just checking my age but evidently not. They hold it along with the credit card, I thought it was odd and questioned the policy out of concern for my identity. As a result of questioning this policy I was threatens to be kicked out and treated like I wasn't a customer. Pretty embarrassing when your with a group of friends.

Here's the best thing though as my fears came to reality this past week. I hadn't used that credit card since and low and behold 4 days later I got a call from my credit card company for a fraud protection alert someone had posted 10 online charges with my information.

Stay away from this place!!!!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is such a fun place! I’ve been here one other time and just visited the place for a birthday. It was during the week so it was a bit slow, but we had good service and great burgers! The Birthday Boy was given a birthday mug with a balloon tied to it and was able to sip free beer all night – how awesome is that!? They’ve also got a list of famous people whose birthday is that day. Definitely a place to check out at least once and make sure to get something with the “Gritty” sauce!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Love, love, love the burgers! Make sure to check the burger of the day which is posted around/in the booths for unique combinations!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great atmosphere....good food....no visit to Madison is complete without a stop at the Nitty Gritty. Nice variety on the menu...great nightime atmosphere.