“Great Italian food and popular place”

Lombardino's Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Highland Ave
Description: Lombardino"s Restaurant, a staple in Madison, WI since 1952, features a chef driven menu that changes with the seasons. With the 1950's Italian American kitschy decor, one will find excellent, simply made Italian food of the utmost quality in a comfortable neighborhood restaurant setting.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We went for dinner and had the Bolognese pasta and the Roasted Mushroom & Prosciutto Cotto. My partner loved the Bolognese and it was such a large portion that he took half with for lunch the next day. And you know what happens to pasta the next day it gets even better :). My pizza was really rich, I could only eat ¼ of it but I had plenty of leftovers for multiple lunches. I want to go back and try a Lasagna or the Bolognese :). One tip, if it is busy, you can eat at the bar or there are cocktail tables with stools where two people can have a dinner comfortably.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited this evening. We periodically come here, and are always hopeful that our next will be better than the last. There is always something that seems to be off, yet we keep coming back in hopes that those little things work themselves out. I've finally come to the conclusion that they will not. It is just too much to overcome average service and consistent, but average food. Nothing is done extremely well here, but if you like consistency and a mundane and mediocre experience, then you'll probably be happy here. We may try it again, but there are so many better places you can spend your money than at Lombardino's. I had a pasta which had decent protein, but the components didn't quite hit the mark. My wife's pasta was practically avoided. We took it to go, but that was just to see if we could possibly improve upon their attempt. It probably won't happen as a re-heat/re-configure, but either way I'll know I at least tried. I really wouldn't be too upset or worried if I mess it up, because it was messed up in the first place. I could go on, but it may be a waste of time. I'll stop by saying that our soup was barely room temperature. Good luck, make informed decisions and have fun.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went with a large party of people; so large that the staff put us at different tables. This restaurant has been a mainstay of Madison for 60 years or so and I saw why. Terrific service and dinners that were tasty as well as big.........I actually had to take part of mine home and that doesn't happen very often. I liked the decor as well. Didn't drink, so have no opinion as to the bar, but I'm going to guess that the wine was very good. I had eggplant prepared 2 different ways and it was excellent.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Lombardino's doesn't rest on its laurels as a top dining choice in Madison. It's regular menu items are consistently well prepared, but we are never disappointed when we try one of the evening's specials. If you want to dine lightly, I'd suggest a salad followed by bowl of soup as an entree. Or Lombardino's also serves an entree size of its salad offerings.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is some of the best food in Madison, notice I didn't just say Italian food. The flavors they create and the freshness of the ingredients will impress. You wouldn't know by the outside of the building, but stepping inside is like taking a break from Madison for the evening and taking a trip to Italy.