“Old and new Italian”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Highland Ave
Description: Lombardino"s Restaurant, a staple in Madison, WI since 1952, features a chef driven menu that changes with the seasons. With the 1950's Italian American kitschy decor, one will find excellent, simply made Italian food of the utmost quality in a comfortable neighborhood restaurant setting.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We decided to try Lombardinos on our first visit to Madison for business. There is a great old sign with an Italian chef painted on the outside of the building, and the inside is dark and traditional, with murals of Italy and knicknacks on the walls, and a bar. The food, however, is a combination of traditional Italian and more modern food, with locally sourced ingredients and imaginative sauces. We had the spaghetti bolognese, a traditional, slow cooked sauce--excellent--and a grilled trout with a green sauce of capers, olives, parsley etc. over a bed of potatoes and fresh green beans--light and fresh and delicious. For dessert we had home made sour cream ice cream topped with slivered almonds and fresh peaches with apricot syrup. Not too sweet and a great mix of flavors, and a huge serving. Definitely worth a return visit.

1  Thank timoteo56

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Google told me this is how you say amazing in Italian. This place was perfect in every sense of the word. The service was friendly and spot on. The food was absolutley delicious and the portions were huge. We went there for my sister's graduation this month and we spared no expense tasting items from every corner of the menu. The atmosphere and ambiance was great though a little crowded which I suspect was a combination of graduation weekend and the fact that this place knows what they are doing and puts on a fabulous spread. I don;t know if or when I will return to Madison, but if I do, I will be hard pressed not to try and grab a table at this gem again.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Been here quite a few times and always have enjoyed the food...tonight I took my family there to celebrate my daughters 25the birthday. Food was good as usual and the restaurant was full...apparently they have such a good business that the occasion of ,someone's birthday is unimportant. We spent over $150 with tip and got a saucer with a lone candle. It was embarrassing to sing to that. Would have chosen somewhere else had I known they couldn't have come up with a cookie or even a squirt of festive whipped cream...

1  Thank MUFanMilwaukee
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Antipasto expertly displayed; perfect thinly sliced meats, herb topped goat cheese smooth . Italian Prosecco (champagne) seamless with the meal. All dishes at our table well executed, delicious. Dessert with grappa the perfect final note. This is a legendary restaurant and maintains it's quality. Service was prompt, knowledgeable, ready to please. Atmosphere classic, warm. A must do Madison Italian destination. Good choice for special occasions.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

LOVE this place and we prefer to eat at the bar. If you can't decide between pasta dishes, they'll split the order so you can try more than one. Cannot go wrong with the orecchiette with sausage and rapini. Good wine list.