“$130 for absolute garbage. Go anywhere else if you have any taste buds.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Smoky's Club

Smoky's Club
Ranked #251 of 929 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Soups
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“$130 for absolute garbage. Go anywhere else if you have any taste buds.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had heard amazing things about smoky's club for quite some time and decided to give it a go for Valentines day. What a truly awful experience. We had 8pm reservations and were told they would call us when our table was ready. What they didn't tell us was they were running about 30 to 40 minutes behind. We decided to go to the bar and get one of their "famous" martinis. We waited almost 20 minutes before being served at the bar (it wasn't busy enough to warrant that) We had a creamsicle and a pomegranate martini. There was no balance of flavor just an obnoxious amount of alcohol and very little else. Not to mention the two drinks totaled $20. Once we finally got our table our waiter introduced himself (his name was Peter) and then he abruptly left in the middle of his introduction. After waiting another 15 minutes for him to return we placed our order and waited some more. He told us the soup of the day was shrimp soup (turns out they switched to vegetable minestrone and no one told us). We both ordered our steaks medium rare. We've read reviews of the plates being too hot and cooking the steak to much. Our steaks were to raw to even be considered rare and our plates were ice cold. Peter (the worlds worst waiter) didn't bother to check how our food was or to see if we needed anything. Not a single dish of ours was seasoned. We has to dump obscene amounts of salt to have any flavor because apparently the cooks didn't feel like doing their jobs. Once Peter dropped off the check we paid right away. Even though we had lousy service ask night Peter managed to pick up the check in less then a minute. All in all we paid $130 for two crappy steaks, salads, soups, a baked potato and a hash brown plus two garbage drinks. I would've been happier at McDonalds were at least I would've paid what the food was worth.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Known for their steaks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Smokey's Club has been known in Madison for many years for it's good steaks. It's on the pricy side, but good. The restaurant itself is not that great looking but good nonetheless.

Middleton, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I ate at Smoky's probably 15 years ago because it was supposed to be the place to go. We were disappointed then and even more now. Maybe I have been watching too many food network shows, but wow does this place need an update. The best thing about our experience this time is that we had a $20 coupon. They start you out with a relish of carrots, celery and radishes. Then came bread which was warm but dried out. We received our salads which were okay but limited dressing choices. The soup course was either potato soup or tomato juice. I ordered a 5 oz filet medium rare and 2 shrimp. My first steak was tasty but cooked more medium than medium rare. The plate was so hot that the steak kept cooking and by the time I ate my third bite the rest of the steak was well done. My server was attentive and happily replaced my steak with a new one. This one was bigger and cooked more medium rare but again the plate was so hot that by the time I cut it in half to see if it was cook properly I soon had a well done steak. The shrimp was inedible. Way overdone and not seasoned. My husband had the pork chops and they were just okay. I feel that when my bill is over $70 (we both had one glass of wine) that I shouldn't have to eat on a plastic table cloth with paper napkins. The shrimp sauce was served in a paper cup. Three servers were sitting at a table in the dining area of the bar. We had good intentions to give Smoky's another try after our first lack luster experience, but wish that we would have listened to our instincts and picked a different restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Marcy S
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Meat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

that is what one comes here for and it is what you get - no high end Peter Lugar act-alike but the place your parents took you 50 years ago for a big night, with "appetizers" of carrot, celery and radish and olives, and a high quality beef cut that is done the way you like, served in a place that must have gotten its name before the cigarette ban in restaurants - dark, woody, staff who have been there for years. My mother in law comes back to Madison now and then from the West Coast and says "Smoky's" and we go, happily.

Visited August 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“HUGE Selection of Martinis!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Martini Bob has a collection that is unbeatable! Anything you can imagine for martinis and some you can't!! And don't forget their awesome food! Best steaks in Madison!!

Visited November 2012