“Simple Fare Prepared Well”
Review of Gates & Brovi

Gates & Brovi
Ranked #59 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stopped in early on a weeknight, initially for drinks and appetizers but ended up staying for dinner. We were pleasantly surprised by the menu variety and the quality of the food we ordered. The clam and sausage pasta was especially good -- exquisite in its simplicity but loaded with fresh flavor. The crowd appeared to be mostly neighborhood locals. On this occasion it was fairly quiet and we were glad to escape the crowds we often encounter farther up Monroe Street or on the Isthmus. We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This place was very casual and serves a burgers, pizza, pasta, salads, etc. I walked over from our B&B (Arbor House) for a salad to go, and it was excellent! I ordered the roasted beet and avocado salad and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went here and did the oyster happy hour, which was excellent. They also have a shrimp cake that is out of this world. Everything on the menu is of interest to me - I MUST go back! Decent beer list as well. Love the environment - kind of retro, kind of beachy casual - I dig!

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Food was good. Our kids had chicken strips off the appetizer menu. My husband had a cup of clam chowder, wasn't his most favorite-but okay. He also had the chicken salad sandwich which was good. I enjoyed the turkey sandwich and would order it again. Downfall---very limited parking options. Service was friendly and attentive however the time to receive food took longer than I would have expected as the restaurant wasn't overly busy. Overall will fine here again.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stopped in after a Saturday movie matinee and decided to check out G&B. Initial impression was a much larger space than anticipated, but comfortable and welcoming. We were greeted immediately by the bartender and waitstaff. Grabbed a booth and ordered a couple of drinks and the shrimp fritters. They were fantastic. Decided on the "Clam Digger" pizza and that was also fantastic. Obviously made fresh (took a little while, that's OK) and it was loaded with clams, great veggies, perfectly melted cheese, etc. We had a friendly young server and wish I had gotten his name. Recent UW LaCrosse philosophy grad. It's the type of place that families with young children would be comfortable and also a place where a single person could sit a the bar and feel quite at home. Covers all the bases.

Been to Gates & Brovi? Share your experiences!