“Exceptional Food”

A Pig in a Fur Coat
Ranked #42 of 1,008 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean comfort food drawing inspiration from Spain, France and Italy, we offer shared plates in a cozy communal dining experience.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had to try this place because I loved the name, and it absolutely did not disappoint. We were seated quickly, our server was friendly and thoughtful. The food showed up quickly, was hot and absolutely delicious - rivaled some of the great food I've eaten in my native NYC (though this felt more like a Brooklyn kind of vibe). My favorite dish was the ravioli with egg, though I absolutely loved everything else too - the perfectly charred octopus, papardelle and porchetta were spot on. As was the dessert - sicilian sfingi. Would highly recommend it, but for the fact that I'm already worried it'll get over-run and harder to get a table!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have not been her since they have opened and just went here tonight for the first time. Had the Meatballs (x 2), fois gras, pappardelle, sea bass and a few others and this place (with 5 star service) and arguably, the best casual or foodie, wine list in Madison, won out my next fav place to come to. I'll be here next week too!

1  Thank RknRon
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Average seems a bit harsh compared to a "good" rating, but I can't quite say the restaurant was "very good," so I'm stuck with "average." A Pig in a Fur Coat is reasonably priced compared to its peers, typically it's so easy to run up a huge bill when the theme is "small plates." Total bill for two people was $120 and that included wine and a 20% tip. The highlight was most definitely the cheesecake with the ravioli a close second. The rabbit rillette was a pleasant surprise, but very rich. I felt I robbed myself for not ordering the duck fat fries, as every surrounding table ordered the fries. Maybe next time. The quinoa accompaniment to the guinea fowl was the standout, the chorizo overpowered the bird. Overall I liked A Pig in a Fur Coat, but when compared to Forequarter, Forequarter gets my vote.

1  Thank uwred1
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Celebrated our anniversary with duck fat fries, beet salad with carrots marinated in a wonderful vinegar, ravioli with duck egg and finished with mussels, and then peach cheese cake in a rammikin and bread pudding.. The food was just delicious and our waiter helped us with amounts and rhythms. We are going back with friends!. I was originally shy about the community tables, but we waited for a 2 top because it was our anniversary. Next time I am bringing friends and sitting at a long table. The people who work at this restaurant, love it and love the food they serve. It shows! One of the best!

1  Thank JanMadison
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was looking forward to eating here after hearing so many positive things about it. The atmosphere was very avant garde and interesting: bare antique-looking lightbulbs, black chalky walls. The first issue was trying to find something on the menu that sounded appealing--one companion was vegetarian and the only choice she had really was a beet/goat cheese salad. (which was very good, but seems to be on menus everywhere.) Even as a carnivore, the choices didn't sound terribly appealing. The server recommended the pork belly, and it is probably my own fault for not knowing that it would be so much fat. For a $13 dish, however, I only had one bite of meat and 70% of the dish was fat. (and no, not even crispy like bacon to make it somewhat edible.) To be fair, the flavor of my one bite of pork mixed with a few strips of apple and almond butter sauce was very good. My other companions liked the date-chorizo dish (though again, it was very small appetizer.) The server did not ask if I liked my dish, even though I left the slab of fat untouched. We left hungry and went to eat elsewhere.