“Excellent place in Madison, how has it remain hidden?”

A Pig in a Fur Coat
Ranked #23 of 989 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean comfort food drawing inspiration from Spain, France and Italy, we offer shared plates in a cozy communal dining experience.
Madison, Wisconsin
“Excellent place in Madison, how has it remain hidden?”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I have not been her since they have opened and just went here tonight for the first time. Had the Meatballs (x 2), fois gras, pappardelle, sea bass and a few others and this place (with 5 star service) and arguably, the best casual or foodie, wine list in Madison, won out my next fav place to come to. I'll be here next week too!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank RknRon

“Average+”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Average seems a bit harsh compared to a "good" rating, but I can't quite say the restaurant was "very good," so I'm stuck with "average." A Pig in a Fur Coat is reasonably priced compared to its peers, typically it's so easy to run up a huge bill when the theme is "small plates." Total bill for two people was $120 and that included wine and a 20% tip. The highlight was most definitely the cheesecake with the ravioli a close second. The rabbit rillette was a pleasant surprise, but very rich. I felt I robbed myself for not ordering the duck fat fries, as every surrounding table ordered the fries. Maybe next time. The quinoa accompaniment to the guinea fowl was the standout, the chorizo overpowered the bird. Overall I liked A Pig in a Fur Coat, but when compared to Forequarter, Forequarter gets my vote.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank uwred1
Madison, Wisconsin
“Small plates of exquisitely prepared food and the wait staff is great!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Celebrated our anniversary with duck fat fries, beet salad with carrots marinated in a wonderful vinegar, ravioli with duck egg and finished with mussels, and then peach cheese cake in a rammikin and bread pudding.. The food was just delicious and our waiter helped us with amounts and rhythms. We are going back with friends!. I was originally shy about the community tables, but we waited for a 2 top because it was our anniversary. Next time I am bringing friends and sitting at a long table. The people who work at this restaurant, love it and love the food they serve. It shows! One of the best!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank JanMadison
WI
“Overpriced, but good flavors”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was looking forward to eating here after hearing so many positive things about it. The atmosphere was very avant garde and interesting: bare antique-looking lightbulbs, black chalky walls. The first issue was trying to find something on the menu that sounded appealing--one companion was vegetarian and the only choice she had really was a beet/goat cheese salad. (which was very good, but seems to be on menus everywhere.) Even as a carnivore, the choices didn't sound terribly appealing. The server recommended the pork belly, and it is probably my own fault for not knowing that it would be so much fat. For a $13 dish, however, I only had one bite of meat and 70% of the dish was fat. (and no, not even crispy like bacon to make it somewhat edible.) To be fair, the flavor of my one bite of pork mixed with a few strips of apple and almond butter sauce was very good. My other companions liked the date-chorizo dish (though again, it was very small appetizer.) The server did not ask if I liked my dish, even though I left the slab of fat untouched. We left hungry and went to eat elsewhere.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent small indivualistic restaurant with interesting food and novel presentation”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a great place to eat food in Madison in a relaxed slightly off the wall way. Food is brought on plates for couples or groups to share. Food was varied and very well cooked. As British in America it was great to see an inventive approach to dining where quantity is often the key issue and delicacy of flavour and texture is not recognised. Here we found well cooked food presented in a novel way which did not need to give a nod to Europe but did it its own way, Creativity is a key word here and there is a refreshing attitude to food which does not need to toe the politically correct line on health issues such as low fat, low cholesterol. Great stuff. Keep on rolling.

The service was friendly and helpful where we were unsure how to order. Wine was good. Recommended and not over the top prices.

• Visited October 2013