“Great Cuisine”

A Pig in a Fur Coat
Ranked #41 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean comfort food drawing inspiration from Spain, France and Italy, we offer shared plates in a cozy communal dining experience.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a unique off the way food selection that lets you experience food you normally wouldn't be exposed to. Their duck fat fries were great and their other selections like elk ribs were all seasoned perfectly. No complaints.

1  Thank Josh B

Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you are vegan or on a strict diet, you may not find much to like on this relatively small menu. But if you are open to trying creative dishes with ingredients that may include meat, you should have a memorable dining experience. My waitperson was very helpful, and I ended up with a new menu item, monkfish in a light sauce of mussels, beans, and greens. It was perfectly prepared and absolutely delicious, one of the best fish meals I have ever had. Being alone on this trip, I appreciated the family style seating, which gave me a chance for some pleasant conversation. The three people seated nearest me ordered several different dishes, ranging from beets to pork belly, and everyone was very happy with their choices. If you're in a group, you can order small dishes and pass them around, giving each person a wider variety of flavors. The beer and wine list was extensive and good. Too bad I live thousands of miles from here; I would love to come back and try another dish.

1  Thank oregon52
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at Pig in a Fur Coat. The ambience is great if you get the early you can get the table by the window. We were a little intimidated by the small menu, but we were very surprised that we loved everything we ordered. We will have to come back to try other items. The duck fat fries were deliciously flaky crispy and with the garlic aoli was delicious. Then the olives with fennel and light orange zest also very meaty and full of flavor. Then the beef Wagnu was so tender with the vegtables and balsamic reduction, wow! A definite repeater.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went to this restaurant after a review in the Wisconsin State Journal and the food was average at best. It will appeal to you if you like fried food and empty calories. The restaurant is small and it was quite busy the evening we went and even the appetizers offered not a single healthy choice. As the name states, pork is the main entree and the evening we went there were no fish or seafood options. Would only recommend this for people who are into fried food and meat. Will probably never be back is there are so many more good options in Madison. My guess is that the Wisconsin State Journal gets swayed by any new restaurant and tries to write an interesting review.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We arrived for a visit to Madison and found Pig in a Fur Coat online. We went there Wednesday night. It was full, but they served us drinks and the duck fat fries on the porch. Great start! Very friendly staff, beautiful interior, great drinks and starter. Then inside we had dinner of the oxtail papardelle and the beet salad. Each dish was very tasty and unusual. Even the beverage list is thoughtful and interesting. Hubby had a ginger beer and I had an excellent Pils. It was all great - so great that we came back the next night!

Thursday evening not so crowded - we got right in. We had the date appetizer with chorizo - yummy, but not my favorite. Then came the scallop dish and the hamachi collar. The scallops might have been my favorite dish on this whole trip. Salty, crunchy, soft, subtle, big WOW taste. We also tried the pannacotte for dessert. I liked that a lot as well.

All in all, the service, the food, the vibe - all great. And the prices are fantastic, very reasonable. What a lovely place. I wish we had this near our home. Thanks guys!