“Outstanding”

Ranked #719 of 1,014 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Wise is a great meeting place for lunch, cocktails and evening dining. We host a number of events and neighborhood gatherings each month as well serving our plated weekend brunch on Saturday and Sundays. Seasonal food and drink menus focus on area producers, farmers and ranchers. Badger fans love the view of Camp Randall stadium and the Vilas/Monroe Street area is an amazing part of town! Stop in and see us for William Hill Wednesday with LIVE music by Patrick Ferguson and $5 glasses of William Hill wine.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Both the bar and restaurant at The Wise are chic yet inviting. Every bartender and waitstaff my friend and I encountered were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. The spring cocktail menu is unique and delicious, and while we just missed getting to try the spring dinner menu, everything on the winter menu looked fantastic. We split the OUTRAGEOUSLY tasty mac n' cheese appetizer (rich enough to share) which I will be daydreaming about until I can have it again, and both of our salads were fantastic. Being a tapas style restaurant, a few of the dishes are smaller in size, but are meant to be shared, which our waitress informed us of ahead of time. Breakfast was generous in portion, and very good (I had the benedict) and the large glass windows let in loads of morning light. All in all a restaurant I would recommend, both for the unique/excellent food and the wonderful, attentive service. Check out The Wise next time you're in Madison!!!

John B, Manager at The Wise, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us and can't wait to have you back! Our staff enjoyed meeting both you and your guest and wanted me to send you their best. If there is anything that we can do to help prepare for your next visit to The Wise or HotelRED, please contact me directly.

Regards,
John Bauer

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great food, atmosphere and energy. The staff was friendly and very engaging. The Grilled Cheese was nuts (it had bacon). The scenery was chic but not over the top. Get to this impressive spot and enjoy.

The head chef even checked in on us during lunch!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had dinner here tonight and found the menu limited and the food ridiculously miniscule and expensive. I ordered the duck and wish I would have taken a picture of this dish. There was about 2 tbps. of a cranberry relish, literally 6 pieces of baby asparagus no more than 3 inches in length and two small dry pieces of duck breast that could not have weighed more than 3 ozs. combined. It seriously looked like 2 half size pieces of biscotti. I am a petite woman but left hungry. The restaurant was virtually empty yet we waited a long time for our food. My friend had the lamb chops and thought they were tastless and dry. I am a Madison resident and was so pleased when this hotel opened. It's fine for a swanky drink and maybe an overpriced appetizer to go with the ambiance but there are so many better restaurants in this beautiful city.

4Peggyo, Manager at The Wise, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

My name is John Bauer and I am the chef here at The Wise. I would like to apologize for what was obviously a terrible experience here at our restauant. We take pride in our small, shared plate style menu and there is no excuse for for us having let you down with our offerings. I take your feedback very seriously and will do my best to see that no other guests are subject to such failures in the future. Please contact me directly if there is anything else that I can do to make ammends for this unfortunate disappointment.

John Bauer
Executive Chef

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Love The Wise. Have been to Hotel Red several times for different occasions and the apps & drinks are wonderful and the atmosphere is divine. It really offers a unique setting with a great view of Camp Randall across the street. Been here for a 40th birthday celebration where the couple rented a room and had apps delivered to the party (the rooms are VERY cool), a B-Cycle event (great beer selection) and a friend & I enjoyed a beautiful day on the patio sipping vino and noshing on the divine hand cut fries w/ailoi sauce. Service is always excellent. I'm hitting it again tonight w/friends for Happy Hour and plan to get the hubby there for dinner soon. There's a B-Cycle station across the street, so perfect Date Night Spot! Park at Hotel Red, then bike via the bike path and take a spin around the lake, then head back and enjoy a wonderful dinner at The Wise. You'll be wiser for it!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had lunch at the Wise one fall day in Madison. The atmosphere is open and people watching friendly. I had the Chili and honey chicken sandwich, it was fantastic. So many different flavors melded together, made my taste buds dance. I would of never imagined chicken sandwich with :Chili, Honey, Pear etc.... Brilliant. The ingredients on the menu are locally produced. Service fantastic (you can tell the staff actually has fun at work). Can wait for my old friend to invite me back so we can eat at the Wise again. Iwill try the Duck nachos next time, they looked excellant. The Gm Jason I think his name was, even took the time to show me and my lunch partner one of their beuatiful corner suites overlooking Monroe st and Camp Randall. I can only imagine how much fun it is there during football season. Go Badgers!

Been to The Wise? Share your experiences!