“My home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 95 things to do in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I'm going to miss this place. I suspect that the astronomers here are really superheroes. They changed my life in ways I never anticipated and appreciate a bit of eccentricity-sorely needed in science these days IMHO!! I leave in a month for Kansas City to get my own cape. :)

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful campus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Ok, I may be biased because I graduated from there many years ago, but it was just as beautiful as I remembered. If you go in the spring or summer there's a great farmers market surrounding the state capital. Park your car and just walk everywhere. No need to drive around. Best thing is to sit behind Memorial Union and take in the view of the lake!

Visited May 2013
San Jose, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not exactly what I'd envisioned, but a great campus...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

When you tell people you're visiting the University of Wisconsin - Madison, most people see bucolic dairyland, lakes and rabid Big 10 college football fans, screaming, with their whole bodies painted red. My daughter was accepted into a science discipline at UW-Madison and we recently went to visit. The first thing that struck me was that the University buildings were pretty easy to recognize, as they almost all were clearly marked with the UW logo and were named clearly. But even before that, it struck me that there was no real point at which you formally "entered" the UW campus. Having seen many other colleges and college towns, I was very surprised that the UW campus was/is so "urban". I say "urban" because I come from a city of over 1M in population, so Madison is comparatively small with about 300K. However, the UW campus has relatively few areas that are not bisected by roads carrying a significant number of cars. Two of those roads run parallel to each other, running the entire length of the campus, each with at least 3 lanes of traffic in each direction. That said, despite that fact that private businesses, shops and restaurants co-mingle with the campus buildings at points, the campus is well defined by the preponderance of UW buildings and students everywhere. Despite the car-friendly layout of the campus, parking is pretty horrendous - and expensive - so you're better off finding a city lot, or taking a bus. The city of Madison and UW have buses that can get you anywhere you want to go. City bus passes are part of the student fees and the UW buses are free to students.

Visited April 2013
Framingham, Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“college tour at Wisconsin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We toured the University, starting at the fantastic Union South, and heading all around campus. Union South is open to the public, and is worth visiting, even if you don't have a kid looking here. It is a real showcase, and was an attraction for my son as he prepares to make his college decisions.

Visited April 2013
Pensacola, Florida
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Go Badgers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love this University. I'm currently a student here and am so glad I decided to go to UW Madison. The education here is top notch, the campus is gorgeous, the facilities and opportunities that are available to me are plentiful. But the thing that makes me so proud to be a Badger are the people here. I've traveled all over the world and lived in several cities but the people I've met in the Mid West and the students that attend Madison are some of the best people I've met in my life. They have truly made me feel welcome and made my experience at this university even more wonderful.

For people who are thinking of touring this campus, you must visit Bascom Hill, Memorial Union (and Lakeshore path), Babcock Dairy Hall, Wisconsin Historical Society, Union South, the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and Camp Randall to name a few. There are also free campus tours organized by the University.

Visited April 2012