“Very friendly staff; good vegetarian options; try the veggie reuben and potato pancakes.”
Review of Stalzy's Deli

Stalzy's Deli
Ranked #138 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had originally planned to have brunch at the Daisy Cafe but we had a deadline and their wait was too long. We wandered down the block and found Stalzy's. Our three-person party ordered the veggie reuben, potato pancakes, and scrambled eggs, and each of us tried everything. At first I was disappointed by the reuben because it didn't contain any "fake meat" - only sauerkraut, sauce, and thinly-sliced tomato. BUT - the flavors were excellent, the sauerkraut was perfectly cooked, the sandwich was very hot - right off the grill - and the bread was perfectly crisp. Yum! The potato pancakes were really good, served with a rich and chunky apple sauce. The scrambled eggs were the least exciting part of the meal, but they were good, seasoned simply with salt and pepper, and I ate more of them than I had planned to. :-) Service was a little slow, but the result was worth it (and we made it to the airport on time).

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here after Obrich Botanical Gardens. I'm not really much of a sandwich person but loved their veggie melt. Boyfriend had the tuna melt and if was great too. Service a little slow but excellent food made up for it!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

While the food has been delicious every time we have visited, I would like to see the sandwiches come with one side. They are a bit overpriced on their own. Perhaps the hot sandwiches/ breakfast meats could have more of the grease removed from them, too?

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a recent Saturday for lunch. Despite living nearby, this was our first meal here. I tried the 1/2 and 1/2 combo of pastrami and corned beef on rye w/Swiss cheese.

The bread was good and the quality of meat excellent. Unfortunately, the meat was so salty I couldn't finish it. I even tried cutting the salt with some Russian dressing, which was good, but the sandwich couldn't be salvaged.

My partner had the Rachel with Turkey Pastrami. The rye bread, cole slaw, meat and Russian dressing were a good match. The German potato salad and beet salad were very good.

We will try the restaurant again to see if other menu items are as good as the Rachel.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We went to eat at this deli with our toddler and found the experience to be enjoyable. The food was really tasty and everyone working there was super friendly and attentive for it being a place you order at the counter. We also felt comfortable there with our toddler and there were other people there with kids. It was a bit crowded, but that might be normal for a Friday night. One thing they could improve is to offer fries with their burgers and sandwiches.

1  Thank UWBadger22