“OK Place but not great”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Waunakee, Wisconsin
“OK Place but not great”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Madison needs more places on the east side of town and I wish Stalzy's was better that it is.The corned beef was extremely salty the potato salad was tasty but the potatoes were under cooked and hard and my roast beef and musters cheese sandwich was out of the refrigerator cold and lifeless. The place has lots of charm and good beers but it's not enough to make me come back. I can go to Ella's Deli and eat all of these things and not have any negative comments except the possibility of a noisy children's birthday party. This place needs to pay attention to detail and raise the bar on the quality of their food.

• Visited February 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great food, great atmosphere, wonderful staff”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

5 of us went to lunch at Stalzt's after reading a review of the reuben's in the Isthmus. Yup, we all had the reubens, one had the pastrimi reuben. We agree with the Isthmus that this is the best reuben we've had (and we've tried lots of reubens!). But there is sooo much more there. They have all kinds of meats the process themselves. I talked with the friendly guys at the counter and they said they tried to buy as much local as they can. The have an onsite bakery too! I've heard their catering is quite nice too. I'm definately going to have to go back and try the other things on the menu. The home made saurkraut on the reuben was really good. More mellow than the saurkraut you buy in the store. The reuben overall was more mellow. The bread was really grilled to be crunchy on the outside, no soggy bread here! The side of German potato salad was very good. Not too sharp and the smokey bacon flavor really came thru. Gotta try more sandwiches at this place!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Pat S
Madison, WI
“Should be great . . . but”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This local sandwich place, which uses local ingredients for their food, should be great, but price and only mediocre quality food make it a place that is hard to come back to.

The price is overwhelming for what you get. $12 for a sandwich and bag of chips! WOW! I told the cashier.

The pastrami today was extremely over salted, to the point where I only ate 1/2 of my $10 sandwich, leaving me disappointed in the money I spent and the quality of food..... again. My $10 sandwich consisted of 1/2pound of meat (a lot . .too much), a small piece of cheese, on 2 pieces of rye bread. No other toppings were offered or possibly not available. I asked for a smaller version of the sandwich, and the cashier looked at me funny. He did offer to make a sandwich for me that was smaller, but he was unable to put pastrami on it for some reason.

Previous visits have resulted in a similar experience. Inconsistent and over priced food. The last time I was there, they had a breakfast special at 8:30am on a Saturday Morning, but they ran out of breakfast potatoes, and I still spent $15 for eggs, toast, and bacon.

I'd love to recommend this place, as it is in my neighborhood, and I love to frequent restaurants that source their foods locally and are within walking distance to my house. But considering I can go 3 blocks down, have a sit down dinner, with locally sourced food that is consistently amazing and comes with delicious side dishes, for the same price, Stalzy's is a hard place to visit.

• Visited November 2012
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Best craft burger on Madison”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I'm not a burger connoisseur but when one is excellent I notice. These guys do amazing things with meat, and their burgers are simple but delicious. They craft all their other meat I their onsite kitchen too. Great local deli. Awesome burgers. And probably the only place in Madison where you get Cel-Ray soda.

1 Thank Jason T
Wisconsin
“I want to like it but...”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I want to be able to recommend this place, and I almost can – but there’s room for improvement.
Biggest issue is a lack of consistency. Lunch a month ago featured a pastrami sandwich that was perfect; piled high with meaty slices containing just the right amount of fat. This time, a good part of the sandwich was made up of inedible chunks of gristle or slices of meat with way too much fat. More to the point, the pastrami was way, way too salty (as was the potato salad).
We gave the counter staff feedback that everything was too salty and were told that there’s a new prep cook. So what; someone should taste and approve every batch of food made, and proper trimming and slicing of meats is what should happen – every time – at a deli. There’s really no excuse for the owner and staff of a restaurant not being aware of the food being served. More to the point, hearing that an entire meal is not good should have rated more of a response than “we have a new prep cook”.
Second issue is with counter staff. The place is set up so you find your own table and order at the counter, but there’s nothing to let you know that. No greetings from staff on entering the place, even when (as with my last visit) there were 2 people behind the counter not doing much of anything. We entered to a mostly full restaurant with a group people including my elderly parents; no one provided any assistance until I asked for help, at which point one of the staff offered to clear off and set up a table for our group of 4. She was very helpful, but only after being asked. It’s been the same every time I’ve been in – staff is helpful, but only after you’ve made the effort to ask them for assistance. It’s not a big thing, but sure would be better to get a helpful greeting on entering the door.
I’m thrilled to have a real deli close to my house, but until they can someone supervising and ensuring consistency I can’t really recommend this place.

• Visited April 2012