“I want to like it but...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Wisconsin
“I want to like it but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

I want to be able to recommend this place, and I almost can – but there’s room for improvement.
Biggest issue is a lack of consistency. Lunch a month ago featured a pastrami sandwich that was perfect; piled high with meaty slices containing just the right amount of fat. This time, a good part of the sandwich was made up of inedible chunks of gristle or slices of meat with way too much fat. More to the point, the pastrami was way, way too salty (as was the potato salad).
We gave the counter staff feedback that everything was too salty and were told that there’s a new prep cook. So what; someone should taste and approve every batch of food made, and proper trimming and slicing of meats is what should happen – every time – at a deli. There’s really no excuse for the owner and staff of a restaurant not being aware of the food being served. More to the point, hearing that an entire meal is not good should have rated more of a response than “we have a new prep cook”.
Second issue is with counter staff. The place is set up so you find your own table and order at the counter, but there’s nothing to let you know that. No greetings from staff on entering the place, even when (as with my last visit) there were 2 people behind the counter not doing much of anything. We entered to a mostly full restaurant with a group people including my elderly parents; no one provided any assistance until I asked for help, at which point one of the staff offered to clear off and set up a table for our group of 4. She was very helpful, but only after being asked. It’s been the same every time I’ve been in – staff is helpful, but only after you’ve made the effort to ask them for assistance. It’s not a big thing, but sure would be better to get a helpful greeting on entering the door.
I’m thrilled to have a real deli close to my house, but until they can someone supervising and ensuring consistency I can’t really recommend this place.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Stalzy's Deli? Share your experiences!