“Great Place to Stay!”

GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison
Ranked #45 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We loved this place! We had a two room suite with a kitchenette and breakfast table. The bed was very comfortable. The halls were well decorated and the service could not have been better. We asked for a quiet room and got what we asked for. There is plenty of parking allowing us to park about 20 feet from our suite. The breakfast was more than adequate but rather average for properties in this price point. We found the location excellent allowing east access and return to major highways and the interstate.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Joseph R, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thank you so much for your possitive review about our hotel! We are very proud of our property and the at home feel we provide for all of our guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you come see us again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

The manager does not help with any issues you bring to him, the hot tub was barely luke warm, and gave us horrible rashes, furniture in rooms are torn and worn out. You can NEVER find anyone at the front desk. There were a group of people from a company the took up almost the entire 3rd floor, they were up all night yelling at each other down the hallways, slamming doors, and cooking food with their doors open, so they could all come to each room and yell and laugh. When I addressed the manager about it, he told me they stay there a lot, but offered no other assistance at all.
Janet was the 1 helpful employee, who did a good job with the breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: stay away from the 3rd floor companies that stay there frequently
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Joseph R, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Thank you for bringing some of this to our attention. We are currently updating our property with new carpet, furniture, and differant amenities. we are sorry that the hot tub was not as hot as it usually is due to draining it and refilling it to make sure it is clean it takes a little longer to get it to teperature. After speaking with you in person i had adressed the issue with our longterm guests and have resolved that issue. we hope that when you come back to the madison area you will choose us again as your hotel provider.
Joe Reinhart

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I'll start by saying I was able to get a rate that was about $30 to $50 less per night than the nearest competitors I also considered, which made GrandStay a good value. If the price difference would have been smaller I may have spent just a bit more to stay at one of the newer hotels within a mile. (In other words, it's a good choice if you can get a decent deal.)

The hotel itself is on the verge of starting to look worn and outdated and you shouldn't expect high-end granite in the bathroom or some of the other aesthetic 'perks' of newer hotels. However, it was clean and safe and conveniently located to where I was traveling for work. What stood out to me were the staff. The woman I spoke with over the phone to make the reservation was more friendly and helpful than most and seemed to genuinely appreciate my business. She made an excellent first impression. The front desk check-in attendant was also very nice and helpful, and the employee working in the breakfast area cared about doing her job well and you could tell. She stayed busy making sure the space was clean and well-stocked and even asked the guests how their stay and their breakfast was so far. Great attitudes by all the employees I encountered.

It isn't the absolute nicest place I've stayed, nor is it the cheapest, but I think it's a very good value overall. I'd be happy to return the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Joseph R, Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. And yes we do have an amazing staff here who cares about each persons needs. This year we will be updating our hotel with new carpet and paint and i know when you return you will be impressed. thank you again

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Had a beautiful suite with large frig, dishwasher, cooktop, toaster, bartop/stools and a loveseat. It was clean, got a good nights sleep. Breakfast had waffles, sausage, eggs, yogurt, pastry and more. Outside the have a play ground for kids. Hotel is about a mile from resturants & shopping which made it very quiet. Yes I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Joseph R, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you so very much for your kind words. We at the GrandStay hotel take pride in making sure every guest leaves happy. With more amenities than the next hotel and happy helpfull employees we are glad you had a grand stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in early May for a family event. We had stayed here twice in the past two years. We returned because it had a nice play area for the kids, bigger rooms, and was fairly priced. The first thing we noticed when we got into our room was it looked quite run down compared to our last visit. The entire hotel could use a good, deep cleaning, but our room really needed it. There was dirt, grime, and dust in all the corners. The walls were dirty, especially by the vanity and the bathroom door. It looked like someone spilled mouthwash down the wall and door. The windows need to be cleaned and the drapes vacuumed. The carpets need to be cleaned...my brand new white socks should not have looked the way they did after walking around the room. Light switches and door knobs were sticky and dirty. I always go back over all hard surfaces with disinfecting wipes and the wipe was dirty after I wiped a few things down. I had to scrub sticky residue off the counter. The refrigerator needs a good cleaning, not just a wipe down and the ice maker and ice bin need to be cleaned. I also question if the dishes in the cupboard are really cleaned because a glass and a coffee cup I took from the cupboard were dirty. The coffee pot was so dirty I wouldn't use it. An even bigger issue was the air conditioning. It was a warm weekend and I like a cool room. The room was very warm, 75º when we arrived, so I turned the air to 65º to get it to cool off quickly. The entire time we were there, we could never get the room to cool below 72º. As soon as the room cooled to 72º the compressor turned off. After a while the compressor didn't come on at all. The maintenance man even came in on his time off to check it. He did something that got the compressor to turn on, but as soon as it hit 72º, it shut off again. Sleeping was horrible. The first night the temperature rose to 76º and nothing kicked on. I don't know if it had a movement sensor or had an auto shut-off, but sleeping was terrible. We could open one window, but that actually made it worse because it was peak season for my spring allergies. I woke up every morning congested and swollen. We finally got two small, dusty, dirty fans from the front desk. No one even bothered to clean them up so I had to. One worked, one didn't. I complained several times about the room temperature, but except for maintenance coming up the first day, my complaints were ignored..no offer to change rooms, no apology, nothing. Breakfast was passable. Soggy french toast crammed into a small crockpot, a watery mishmash of egg patties, omelets, and scrambled all in the same pan, and rubbery, microwaved sausages. The breakfast attendant was a little short at first, but who could blame her. She not only had to keep on top of the breakfast, but take care of the front desk, handling all customers by herself. This hotel is not what it used to be. I don't know if it is understaffed or poorly staffed, but we will not be giving them another chance. It's too bad because this used to be a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Joseph R, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

we our so so sorry that the room was not cleaned properly. I can assure you it is not a everyday thing here at the grandstay. we strrive to ensure that rooms are cleaned and preped for every guest. we are so sorry agian and hope you may give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We were leaving Chicago and decided to stop at a hotel instead of driving home so we could relax in a hot tub for a while. Our hotel in Chicago didn't have one and this sounded more fun then driving until 1 am. We get to the hotel and the pool and hot tub are tiny, which isn't the end of the world. But the hot tub didn't even work. The jets don't stay on unless someone stands there and holds the button. We went up to the front desk and they got it to work by shoving a bottle top in the button to keep it on, but the water was still cold. To top things off, the room wasn't even all that great. There were stains all over the floors. We should probably just have left, what a waste of money. We could have gone home for free, we just wanted to sit in a hot tub for a while and it didn't even work. I mentioned this to the front desk twice and they really didn't seem to care. I will never consider staying at one of these hotels ever again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank symn28
Joseph R, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

We are so sorry that our hot tub was not fuctioning correctly. As for the rooms we are currently updating all of our carpets, furniture, and paint, and we hope you give us another chance in the near future. Thank you for your comment and we hope to see you soon

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Our favorite hotel to stay at when we visit our children in Madison got even better. We had my mother with us and reserved the 'room' with two separate bedrooms, giving us the privacy that we all needed at a much lower cost than renting two separate rooms. We shall do this again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family