“Fine, Generic Stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison
Ranked #38 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Visited Monona, which is what this hotel is closer to than Madison by far, for a funeral and stayed for one night. Let me preface by saying that I have had family in this area for many years but never stayed at this property because it was priced so much higher than everything else close by so had high expectations. Got a deal this time and so we tried it.

Check-in was easy and quick. Front desk service was always professional and friendly.

The room was adequate. I had expected maybe bigger, or higher quality because of the price thing but it looked like just about every other moderate hotel room I have ever been in. Decent amenities - fridge, microwave, larger flat screen TV. Air controller worked fine. Towels were okay but not great.

I thought the bed was a little squishy, and I did have a sore back when I woke up. Also, it would have been nice to have a lamp on each side of the bed. Others in my group thought the bed was okay.

Used the spa and pool for a little bit, spa was not super hot but had great jet pressure. Pool was okay. Chemical use was not over the top.

We did not eat breakfast as we had a family meal elsewhere, but there seemed to be plenty of good choices for food.

Check out was also easy, although housekeeping was knocking on the door at 8:55am.

Overall a nice, clean property - I just think it is normally over-priced compared to similar properties.

Dave

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
CISMadison, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Hi Dave -
First of all, thank you for finally giving our hotel a try! We are always happy to have new guests with fresh perspectives. I welcome any and all comments from guests, so thank you for your honest review.
I noticed your comments regarding the towels being OK and the bed being squishy. I will work with the owners to improve these areas, so that next time we get 5 stars from you! I know the housekeeping team is antsy to get the rooms turned over for the next guest, but that is no excuse for giving people an early morning wake up call! I will work with the team to resolve this issue.
Overall, I'm glad to see you had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I made several phone calls to this hotel while planning my sister's bachelorette party. The staff members were pleasant, helpful and easy to work with. The renovated building was very nice. We were pleased with the pool and hot tub as well as the breakfast offerings. Coffee and fruit and cookies offered all day was wonderful as we headed out for activities. Rooms were clean and comfortable. It wasn't as close to downtown but for the very fair price we paid and the amenities we were very happy. I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Emily -
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed the renovated rooms, breakfast, and 24hr cookies and fruit. I'm also glad to hear your interactions with the staff were always pleasant. I will be sure to share your comments with everyone!
We are happy to hear you enjoyed the bachelorette party weekend and hope you visit us on your next stay in Madison.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stay here every year when we are in Madison for the Midwest horse fair. Our rooms have always been very comfortable and clean. The lady who checked us in was very helpful and friendly. Great location with good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
CISMadison, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and the wonderful comments. We are pleased to see you have been loyal to us throughout your years of attending the Midwest Horse Fair. We're also glad to hear you enjoy the comfortable rooms, friendly staff members, and the convenient location to restaurants and the Alliant Energy Center.

Looking forward to accommodating you for the 2015 Midwest Horse Fair!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stopped in Madison on a Christmas trip around Wisconsin. We had only planned on a one night stay but with 8" of snow overnight we decided not to travel the next day. The staff was very accomodating and made sure we had a room to stay in. The rooms are very nice (executive king suite) and reasonably priced. The only complaint that we had was that the plumbing in the bathroom made a very loud rattling noise if someone upstairs was taking a shower. It only lasted 10-15 minutes but was kind of unnerving. We let the front desk know and I'm sure that maintenance has checked it out. Still our favorite place to stay in Madison.
Having a suite was nice to bring our friends back for gift exchange and to look at our Ireland pics.

Room Tip: The suites are reasonably priced and well worth the extra cost. Very comfortable and feels like home...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
CISMadison, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear you were snowed in, but glad we had comfortable accommodations for you. My maintenance team did address the rattling pipes in the room above. I hope this didn't cause too much of a distrubance for you.

I'm happy that we are your favorite hotel in Madison - we hope to see you back in the future!

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Just staying overnight in Madison. Got a good deal on priceline. Room was clean, large, and quiet. Staff was nice, breakfast was decent but not that great. Seemed close to lots of restaurants. Easy on and off highway.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank canucknuckle
CISMadison, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm happy to see you enjoyed the convenient location and our clean, quiet rooms. I appreciate you recognizing the nice staff members. I will share your comments with the team. We hope to see you on your next trip to Madison!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stay at the Country Inn every tim we go to Madison to see friends, attend the farmers market, see a play, or just enjoy partying on State St. It is in a nice location next to the beltway on the south side of Madison. Even with the traffic, the rooms are nice and quiet and comfortable. The staff is always friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is better than most of the big name hotels that charge for breakfast. We are going to stay there for Christmas and have our friends up to our suite for our celebration. You can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: The suites are just a little more than the standard rooms. If you are staying for more than one nigh...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Hi Dennis - We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very glad to see you enjoyed the convenient location and our quiet, comfortable rooms. Thank you for the kind remarks about our breakfast. I'm happy you enjoyed it! I also noticed your comments about the friendly and helpful staff members - I will be sure to share this with them.

We look forward to your upcoming Christmas visit. See you then!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Could not ask for a better more friendly staff at an excellent location in the Madison Wi area. It seems they thought of everything to make for a really nice stay. Quick check-in, nice room and then off to enjoy a concert at the Magestic Theatre. Returning at 01:00am and finding cookies and hot beverages available was a nice surprise! Great breakfast in the morning. Group of college track athletes were there and even though it was officially time for the breakfast to end , it was kept open to take good care of this group and even had breakfast bags to go. Quality customer service at its best. Will stay here whenever we can.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed the room and the late night cookies and beverages. Glad you were able to enjoy the hot breakfast and took notice of the to-go bags!
We look forward to accommodating you on your next visit to Madison.