“Tremendous Value with Several Pluses”

Best Western East Towne Suites
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Defionitely an older facility but has been maintained well, especially rooms. Rooms are very well designed with bed area separated from sofa area. refrigerator and microwave were clean and working well, saving us money on meals. Breakfast buffet was great with hot entrees - only issue was they sometimes run out of an entree. Staff is very helpful whenever an issue arises and takes care of it quickly. Pool and hot tub are well maintained. Heating/air conditioning unit in room is newer but nevertheless a bit noisy. Overall environment is quiet,

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2010

The staff behind the desk here was some of the most helpful staff I have ever come across. Very friendly, took 30 minutes or more giving us directions and helping to find the places we needed to go. The hotel itself was like walking through a maze, making it a little less convenient making it to our room. The location was great though, very close to the airport and a reasonable drive from everything in the area. All the amenities were as they should be expected, good breakfast. Cold room a/c, clean and affordable. I will be coming back to this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Checked in after driving 6.5 hours expecting to find a room with two beds (booked 4 people through Hotwire) and instead found a queen and a hide-a-bed. Seth, the manager on duty, refused to change our room unless we paid an additional $20.00! Called Best Western and they talked with Seth and told me that they agreed his customer service skills were lacking but that they weren't able to tell him what to do. Hmmm, corporate has no control over a hotel manager??? Called Hotwire and they didn't get anywhere with Seth either. The worst thing is that we booked this hotel for our return the end of the week and it will be under the same conditions because ALL HOTWIRE ROOMS FOR THIS HOTEL ARE ONE QUEEN AND A HIDE-A-BED. Seth didn't even allow Hotwire to cancel our room for our return at the end of this week! I suggested that I would be writing a negative review and he said that it would only effect the $8.00/hr cleaning staff and put less food in their mouths. Passing the buck down to the hourly people? Not very professional.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Although this hotel isn't very impressive from the outside, with a tried brick facade, the inside is nice with an extremely friendly staff. The desk called 10 minutes after I arived in the room to see that I was pleased: a very nice touch for a not-very-expensive place to stay. It is easy to find, has good free breakfast and is, overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2010

The hotel is in a convenient area, close to shopping, many restaurants, and on a major road in Madison. I arrived later than expected to check-in, and the staff was very helpful and courteous. Check-in was fast, and in no time we were in our room. The room was a nice size: two double beds, a nice-sized desk, a separate seating area, and then the bathroom. The room wasn't as clean as I'd liked, with stains on the bed, carpet, and sofa; and the bathroom was less than to be desired. However, the great (and free) continental breakfast in the morning and the free wi-fi made up for it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I tried this hotel because I found a great rate on-line. It met my expectations of a quality hotel. The room was clean (I check edges that sometimes don't get vacuumed) and in good repair (well, chips in tile and some caulking separating). Breakfast has eggs, meat, and cereals and waffles (but only served until 9am on weekdays).

Computer in lobby; little store with microwave food, wine, snackes, etc; exercise room (get key from desk ahead so you have it if you want it); fridge and microwave in room; partition wall between bed and couch.
Swimming pool is not very warm!

Helpful desk staff. Lots of restaurant choices nearby (including two Japanese ones, a Panara, a KFC, a Noodles and Co; even Hooters!).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2009

This was my second time staying here.
I stayed here a year ago for a few days (in the fall) and I liked it so I decided to book again.

The only difference was that this time I booked it in advance online.
The rate was locked in and I had to pay in full up front (no refunds/all or nothing).
Around $80+tax per night.

They did said they excepted pets and also said that an additional pet fee may apply.
Though when I booked the room there was no price listed for pets.
Note to self: "If there is no price listed for pet phone before booking."

I booked an extended stay there for 2 weeks with my 5 pound Yorkshire Terrier.
After the second night I received a note under my door explaining the $25 per night
pet policy fee.

$25 per night is not allot of money for a pet and is fairly reasonable unless of course you are staying at an "extended stay" place.

Hmm... so thats $25 per night for 14 nights?
For a 5 pound, non shedding, well behaved, allergy free, Yorkshire Terrier.
So I did the math 14x25=350.
So then thats $350 just for the 5 pound dog?

I thought to myself this can't be right?
The most we have ever paid is $150 for the dog stays?
Most nicer hotels allow pets for free!
The Ritz, Kimptons, and even some Morgans Hotels.
We are staying at the Hard Rock next week and they only charge $150!

That morning I phoned and spoke with the manager and he politely allowed me to take $25 off the $350 pet charge making the "pet charge" $325

Then I phoned cooperate they told me it was really high but there was nothing they could do because the hotel was privately owned.

Then I spoke with the "other" hotel manager who then managed to get me an additional $25 off the $325 making it an even $300 for the pet.

We were locked in and there was nothing I could do about it except for leave and lose the pre payment for the room (in full) or stay and pay the outrageous $300 pet fee.

The staff was polite about it but I felt as though there was allot of good cop bad cop going on.

I found the housekeeper on my floor to be quite rude and sort of felt she may be a bit untrustworthy.

Example:
Because I had the dog along I phoned the office to let them know that we need the room cleaned and that we were going to be out for the next few hours between 1-4pm. When we got back to the room, the do not disturb sign was on my door. I know for a fact 100% I didn't leave it that way and I made sure of it before I left, but someone had gone into the room and placed it on my door. When I returned back to my room at around 3:30 the do not disturb sign was on my door and my room had not yet been tidied. Maybe someone needed to leave early? I don't know..

I phoned the office and they then sent someone up to clean it and it was taken care of in about 30 minutes. (so ok).

I only requested and had housekeeping about 25% of the time I stayed there.
Most of the time the room was already clean and all we needed were fresh coffee, linens and towels.

There was a blizzard and the parking lot was filled with snow.
I even got stuck in the parking lot 2 days after the blizzard had passed.
Also one of the nights there were no lights in the parking lot (it was pitch black out there)
all night long! Icy and pitch black.

I had to have my room key fixed 3 different times due to it not working properly but I guess thats not too bad considering I was there for 2 weeks.

The hallways were freezing!
The no heat in mid Wisconsin winter type of freezing.
They were only heated about 40% of the time during my stay which I guess is ok if I'm the only one staying on that floor.

The heater in the room was a bit difficult to adjust.
It was really stuffy and either the room was way too hot or too cold.
I found myself waking up 3-4 times per night trying to turn it on and off.
I also would like to say that this is not an issue I normally experience.

I didn't make the pool, gym, or spa like I did when I was there in the Fall because every time I walked out into the hallway if was freezing and I felt fear that I would totally freeze if I tried to do those things.

The location is good if you want to be near shopping and places to eat though you still may want to have a car along to get there.

Overall if you stay in the warmer seasons and do not need to use the heater you should be comfortable within the room, however, if you like a "mildly" soft mattresses be warned the mattress is on the super firm side.

The rooms are fairly spacious and the layout is pretty good.
The bathrooms are not large but sufficient.
Pretty proper for the typical corporate traveler.

You should also be fine if you don't bring a pet along or if you only plan to stay for a day or two. But.. keep in mind that theres a $25 per day we love pets policy.

Also on top of your room charge and room taxes, there is not only a pet charge, but a pet tax as well that pretty much ads up to around $30 if you stay for 2 weeks.

There went the $30 of the kind $50 deduction I received from the management!

• Stayed: December 2009