“Disappointed”

Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We used our Best Western points to pay for a one-night stay on our way to Ohio. This property does not deserve a Best Western Plus status. We had a two-queen room reserved. At check in we asked to be upgraded to a king room, but we were told we would be happier with a two-queen room because it had a "balcony". On inspection of the room, the screen door to the balcony could not be opened and multiple holes in it. There were moths caught between the screen door and the sliding door. Why anyone would prefer a balcony overlooking a parking lot over a bigger room with a king-size bed is beyond me. The refrigerator made a high-pitched sound. So between the disaster with the balcony and the noisy refrigerator, we asked for a room change with a king-size bed and no balcony.

In the hotel's defense, we were moved promptly across the hall. The room was more adequate but the setup was quite unusual. An armoire straddled the sitting area and the bedroom area, which were divided by a wall. A very small television was supposed to be viewed from both areas. When the TV was swiveled toward either area, some of the screen was blocked by the armoire. Since this is a "plus" property, there should have been a TV in both areas.

Room Tip: Don't book a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Finnish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western in early May, 2012, for two nights. The staff were friendly on arrival, and my room, while not luxurious, was perfectly acceptable. Not new, but not overly worn. My one gripe was that on opening the door, I could smell that someone had smoked in the room at sometime in the not-recent past. The suite consisted of a bathroom, a sitting area with desk, couch and coffee table, and the bedroom in the back. It had both a fridge and a microwave, which increase food options for the traveler.

The more I travel, the more having curtains that really shut out light become important, and the curtains in my 2nd floor room darkened the room very well. The free breakfast was completely unsurprising--scrambled eggs, un-browned home fries, sausage links, plus the usual make-your-own waffles--but it tasted fine. One surprise on check-in was being asked if I drank beer--there's a small hotel store with snacks, but also frozen dinner entrees, and a fridge with wine and a variety of beers, selling for $1-2 each. I haven't seen that before!

All said, my stay was completely worth the cost ($131 for two nights, including tax). Hard to beat that!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Blackduck, Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stay here in March 2012 its a great hotel nice clean rooms comfy bed pool is heated breakfast is great eggs sausage potatoes waffles oatmeal cereal yogurt and breakfast area was very clean. Also lots of restaurants within walking distance. Would stay here again

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Kellgab
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed here because my flight came in too late to get my rental car. My only gripe was that when I had called the week before to ask about their shuttle service I had been told that it ran from 8am to 11pm, but when I arrived, they told me I needed to make a reservation for the shuttle 24hrs in advance! This isn't what I wanted to hear after a long flight at 1am in the morning. But they found a way to accommodate me anyway, so yeah! Great service.
The room was great, roomy, and the bed was fantastic. I could have easily stayed longer if my needs necessitated it.
They had a complementry breakfast with some hot items.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Seavapor
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Needed a quick, easily accessible and reasonable motel after a Bucks game. Room and beds were comfortable. Breakfast was good. Couple of things I noticed was the veneer on the back of the bathroom door was starting to peel.and the pull out sofa bed was not great. Some springs were falling out.

Didn't use the pool area so I can't comment on that at all.

One nice thing was Beers were only $1 at the little store they had.

All in all it fulfilled our needs for the night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at Best Western East Towne Suites for a business conference at the Alliant Center. I choose the hotel for it's low price and location. The location was easily found off the highway 90/94 and about 20mins from the Alliant Center. The hotel also is close to the Madison airport. The hotel is close to lots of shopping and places to eat. The outside of the hotel makes it look like it is a run down place, but inside there are new carpets througout and the place is mostly clean. The room was a good size with a small living room and desk separte from the bedroom area. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever stayed in, which made it hard to have to leave early! It was a great night sleep though!! The hotel also has a wonderful pool area. Best I've ever seen for a hotel at this price! The pool water temp was very good considering it was freezing outside. The jaccuzzi was nice, but too hot actually! The beakfast was excellent! All hot food and good juice. I would definatly stay here next year for the conference - if the price is still low.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Clear Lake
Reviewed December 29, 2011

When we went into our non-smoking room it smelled like an ashtray. We asked to be moved to another room and was. However, the room had no heat turned on and it was about 25 degrees outside. The wall heater must have had some elements burned out as we sat with our winter coats on and watched a WI basketball game and shivered. When I turned on the bathroom faucet black, dirty stuff came out. Looked like the faucet had not been used for SEVERAL weeks. The water cleared up after 10-15 seconds but would not drink the water because we did not know what residue was still in the water but was not obvious. After about three hours the room was still very cold so we asked to be moved again. We were but this room also had the heat turned off and was very cold but figured what the hell - apparently that was the way it was going to be.

Apparently the basic rate included a single queen size bed. As we have a king at home and am used to the room we asked for a king. They wanted twenty more dollars to "upgrade" to a king.

We are senior citizens and are on our way to Florida for a couple of months and have traveled extensively and this is the first review I have ever written. I would recommend all travelers to avoid this motel. However, I will say the breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple