“First time here, and was glad I stopped”
Review of Tempest Oyster Bar

Tempest Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Tempest Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 990 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“First time here, and was glad I stopped”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Was in Madison, WI for work and was craving oysters and found Temepest Oyster Bar online. Their website was easy to navigate as well as the menu section. I noticed on their website that they have a happy hour and I went for that. $1.50 per oyster, and I could select between six different ones. I was also informed of the happy hour by the hostess and waitress which was great, as I hate when I go someplace and find out as I'm leaving that they had a happy hour. I ended up getting a combination of all the ones they had to offer that evening and they were presented in the order that they appeared on the menu which was nice. I also had 4 of the scallops at $2.50 each and they were amazing!!!! I read some other reviews where people loved the scallops but were disappointed they only got 2 for $13. The waitress said that these were the same so make sure to get there for happy hour!!! My tap beers were $1 off as well. The atmosphere was a little kwirky and not really my taste but it was nice. It was a little lound as other reviews have stated but I could still hear my waitress just fine. It was a bonus that there is a parking garage right next door so parking was a breeze.

• Visited August 2012

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great service by Alex and great menu”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I are recent transplants from north Carolina and were
Looking for a new seafood restaurant in Madson. We found our outside dining a wonderful experience. oysters were excellent and our entrees of flounder and fried oysters were much like our east coast versions. We will definately dine at the Tempest again.

• Visited August 2012
Wisconsin
“Excellent meal and helpful staff”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My spouse and I, decided to go out to eat during Restaurant Week, but figured we would try a restaurant that wasn't participating in it. That way, we'd have a better chance at getting a table. We made a reservation for 8 p.m. and there were probably only 6 other tables full. Because we were eating later, they were out of a few things, such as East Coast oysters. My spouse ordered Cowboy Roys from the West Coast and thought they were excellent. After reading a review on here about the scallops appetizer, I had to try it. Their scallops were probably the best scallops dish I've ever had. Wonderful! We also got some very good bread, while we were waiting for our meal. For the meal, I had the Sturgeon, which was a new experience for me and I wasn't disappointed. The fish itself, is basically just a meaty white fish and it flakes more like salmon, but without the oily feeling that salmon has. It was coated in bread crumbs and broiled. It was served with an egg, some bacon and caviar on top and with some wonderful creme fraiche, which I believe, made the dish. I was not disappointed. My spouse had the yellow fin tuna, which was pan seared. It was also very good. We also ordered some asparagus, because the sides are ala carte. There was a nice selection of local craft beers and our waiter was very happy to help us make a selection. We passed on dessert, because we were pleasantly full and didn't want to ruin that. We will definitely be returning to Tempest Oyster Bar. Main meals are in the $20 - $35 range, with certain King crab or lobster being more. Appetizers are about $13. Oysters are $2.50 a piece or you can get a tower of them.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Lislcat
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Service Ever”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My friends and I were told there would be a wait for food but would get drinks right away. It was 30 mins before someone even acknowledged us.It took 2 hours to get some of our appetizers and they were either wrong or burnt. They hadn't even started our main entree and said we weren't very high on their priority list. The waiter and hostess were extremely rude. The food was not good and way over priced.

• Visited July 2012
Milwaukee, WI
“If your tastes go beyond fried cheese curds”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had a truly splendid Saturday evenIng with friends at Tempest. The food was elegant and served perfectly. The menu is extensive with many healthier seafood options and a kitchen open to making changes to allow those with restrictions in diet to enjoy a delicious meal. Our server Alex was charming, attentive and very helpful with menu suggestions and substitutions. Service was excellent and we enjoyed drinks and a first course with the beautifully plated entrees arriving within 40 mInutes of having ordered. Try the best Brussels sprouts on the planet as a side. The sides are generous enough to share. We had halibut and substituted a hazelnut pesto topping from another fish entree rather than having ours sauced with browned butter. The soft shell crabs special and raw oyster selection were also winners. Bravo. We'll be back!

• Visited June 2012