“West Side Hit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Luigi's Restaurant
Ranked #214 of 975 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“West Side Hit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Excellent, thin, corn-dusted pizza. Many options. Our favorite is a Wisconsin herb-roasted mushroom, mozzarella, and pepperoni delight. Positive, friendly wait staff and an eclectic lighting structure.

• Visited October 2012

Waukesha
“Excellent Cheese, Great Beer and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Ready like the pizza. Very fast and affordable. Many different pizza choices. Highly recommend.

Visited July 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great flavors, service and value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Luigi's serves great Italian comfort food, meaning the classic mainstream food which popularized Italian food. Great pizzas, excellent pastas and salads. Deserts that frighten any cardiologist. A great atmosphere with excellent service. And the prices are family friendly.

• Visited June 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“very good food... excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

The service was excellent. I had the lasagna, and that was great. My friends loved the pizza. I recommend not sitting in the window if the sun is setting, because it gets way too hot. And be careful not to hit your head on the light fixtures... It even happens to the poor waitstaff. Even so... Strongly recommended.

Madison, WI
“So disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were very excited when this place opened up down the street from where we live. Finally, a neighborhood restaurant! Our first visit, we both wanted pasta, so we ordered two pasta dishes. I tried to order lasagna, which was on their menu, but they told me they didn't have Lasagna, because they weren't happy with how it turned out. (That should have been a red flag) So we ordered a different baked pasta dish. The pasta was universally overcooked, and the sauces weren't great. Certainly not worth what we paid for them.

We later learned that they don't have any stoves, just a pizza oven as the only way to cook. I think that probably makes it difficult to make good pasta dishes. Maybe they should think about eliminating pasta from the menu if they don't have the facilities to cook it. Pastas were a "C"

We wanted to give them a second chance, and we went back to carry out some pizza to eat at home. The pizza was just ok, the ingredients weren't fabulous, and the crust wasn't crispy like you might want from a thin-crust pizzeria pizza. They didn't have interesting toppings or combinations to try. The Pizza gets a "B-" in our book.

After emailing the owners to tell them about our experiences, they invited us back to try the lasagna that they were finally happy with. We did that, and the lasagna was ok. I'd give it a "B" but it was not the best lasagna I've ever had, and probably not worth the price.

As for service, we found it awkward to have to order at the counter and fight the crowd. And when we got takeout, I ended up waiting in a long line while my food sat up on the hot plate waiting for me.

I really wanted Luigi's to be good, and I really wanted to have it be a regular stop for us, but sadly, I don't think we'll give it any more chances.

• Visited January 2012