“I Enjoyed My Stay”

HotelRED
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison
“I Enjoyed My Stay”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Before booking my room anywhere, I read the reviews so I was aware of many of the complaints against HotelRED. My wife and I went there for a one day visit to Madison and just wanted to hang out away from the kids.

HotelRED is a unique hotel and not for everybody. The use of concrete throughout the hotel (floors, ceilings) will put people off but I rather enjoyed the look. I can see why people would complain about the shower because it does look to be complicated but I figured it out pretty fast and really enjoyed it. Quite honestly, it was one of the top ten showers I've had in a hotel room. The rooms are spacious and bed was very comfortable. An unexpected plus was a 24 hour pass for use of the city's public bikes and complimentary paddle boat use at a nearby lake. We took full advantage of both.

I would have given the hotel 5 stars except for the following reasons:
1. Showers were mostly clean but there was dirt or mold at the bottom corners.
2. Because of the concrete and the semi open layout of the room, the room became humid whenever the shower was running. I turned on the AC to help with this but not sure how bearable that would be during the winter months.

It's the little things for me and the hotel nailed most of it. I wasn't planning on heading back to Madison but I am now and will stay again at HotelRED.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trackstar1977

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
mequon, wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Just got back from a 3 night stay at this hotel. We stayed with my daughter and family with a one year old who was crawling. The floor was dirty when we came in and even after 3 phone calls and one person to person contact the floor never got cleaned, it was FILTHY, not even swept.

Kitchenette very sparse, exactly 4 cups, bowls, etc. in the 2 bedroom suite with a pullout which sleeps six. No blender or toaster, even upon request. The AC in our bedroom was incredibly loud, shower control so tight it was barely movable (didn't bother talking to them about this since they didn't even clean the floor).

For the price I was definitely disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dorie71050
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay. I am very sorry you had several issues. With this information I can work with our team to improve on everything that happened.
If we say we’re going to clean the floor then we need to clean the floor. It should have been properly cleaned to begin with and then when you raised the issue we should have rectified it immediately. There is no excuse for this and we are all certainly sorry.

As for not having a blender and toaster, we will go out and buy both right away. It is a great idea to have both since guests clearly request them. Thank for the great idea.

Again, I am very sorry for the issues throughout your stay. If you ever need anything in Madison please let me know, I’d love to help.

I hope you have a great summer.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were in Mad-town for a 50th birthday party in Shorewood Hills.
Recommended by our dear friend. She was spot on!
Hip, cement, clean lines, and friendly.
Wonderful staff. Have a hotel shuttle. Ben took care of us and loves and knows Madison well. Thank you Ben!
Great mini bar stocked with WI high-end products.
Great out-door balcony
We'll be back.

Room Tip: Walls maybe a bit thin.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary W
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review of your stay. I’m really happy to hear you enjoyed yourself. I am also happy that you were able to use the shuttle. We are very lucky to have Ben.

Please let me know if you ever in Madison again, we’d love to make your next stay even better.

I hope you have a great rest of the summer and thanks again.

Saline, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

A very nice hotel. Very contemporary, so if you want typical "mid west" don't stay here. But we loved it. Large rooms, very comfortable bed, and absolutely fantastic shower. Service good but just lacking something - not sure what. But saying that, I will definitely stay here again if I return to Madison.

Stayed July 2014
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed at HotelRED for a personal getaway of a few days in Madison. This boutique hotel was everything I had hoped it would be, and even a bit more. I had a king executive room, which was extremely spacious, and had a well-equipped kitchenette and a fantastic bathroom. The multi-jet shower really is worth raving over. The bed was very comfortable, and the wifi worked with no problems. The little extras are what makes it worth coming to this hotel. The bathrobes were plush, and the hotel staff ran a pair of slippers up to my room to keep my feet warm on the cold floors. There is a hotel shuttle that will take you where you need to go within about a 3 mile radius (you do need to pre-book it), which was nice on an evening when I wanted to go downtown for a meal. The one drawback is that it is a bit of a hike to downtown - it is about a 30-40 minute walk to the Capitol building, and about 25 to the UW Madison Union or State street. But there are nice amenities nearby, including Indie Coffee and a Trader Joe's (good for stocking up the in-room fridge). Parking is included, and I never had trouble finding a spot. The chocolates they provided on arrival (from a chocolatier a couple of blocks away) were delicious!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
STILLWATER
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Don't be deceived by the exterior. This boutique contemporary hotel is delightfully warm. We were greeted by charming staff who treated all four of us to local gourmet chocolates. The rooms were quiet, and perfect location for us to explore the campus. I imagine during a football game the ambience is different as it sits next to the stadium.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at HotelRED. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the Maurie’s chocolates. We’re very lucky to have such a great local chocolatier so close. I also hope your exploration of UW was successful.

If I can ever help with anything in the future please let me know. Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Bloomington, IL
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We (two couples) came to Madison for the weekend and stayed here. What a great find. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful, including Ethan, one if the chefs, who helped us with our bags and gave us some yummy strawberry cake to sample. Free biking and boating. Comfortable rooms.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank jrmsw
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review of HotelRED. We are very thankful for both the review and your choice of hotels.

I was very excited to read the nice comments about Ethan. We are very luck y to have him as part of the team. He has been with us since opening and his joy has not quite since.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know. I’d love to try and make your stay even better.

Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful summer!