“Great place to stay in Madison”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great place to stay in Madison”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Was only able to stay one night here due to other commitments, wished I could have stayed longer. Location is great, close to campus and State St. action. (But not TOO close) Thought noise could be an issue but was not. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was good sized and very clean. Bathroom was exceptional. Everything has a very modern, sleek look and feel. Finally, Madison has a hotel as hip as it is.

Room Tip: Hotel has a variety of different room floor plans, check web site be fore deciding.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank john r
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you very much for the wonderful review. It sounds like you really enjoyed your time in Madison and at HotelRED. I will certainly pass on your kind words to our team.

If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, I’d love to help make your visit even better.
I hope you have a fantastic spring and thanks again.

Jason Ilstrup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Twin Cities
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have stayed in many of the Hotels near campus in Madison. Proximity to Camp Randall and the South Union is very good. At this end of Madison, this hotel is a must stay. Younger traveling companions say this is their favorite hotel and they loved the bathroom amenities and shower.

Great Badger spirit.

Room Tip: A balcony room facing Camp Randall Football Stadium s a very good view. On a game day, with a lot o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hibbing1
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I highly recommend joining us for a Badger Game Day. It’s a sea of red! If you’re ever in town for a game please let me know, I’d love to help make your experience even better.

Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful spring (if it ever comes!).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Madison is a rough place to visit in February, but this boutique hotel was clean, modern, and interesting. The staff was helpful. And the artisan chocolates they give to all visitors were tasty! Worth a visit

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jack H
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you very much for the nice review. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit (and the Maurie’s chocolates!).

Madison certainly is a rough place to visit in February, particularly this winter. I grew up in the Minnesota and can’t remember a winter as bad as this. Hopefully you’ll be able to visit again in the spring or summer; I promise there will be better weather!

Thank you again for staying with us. Please let me know if I can ever help with anything in the future.

Have a great week.

new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I went to visit my son, and chose the Hotelred because the pictures looked great and thought it would be the right fit. While the accommodations were beautiful, and the staff very accommodating , the distance from state at and the university was just too far.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank saltysdad
Milwaukee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

First of all, I loved the hotel room. I thought that the room was clean, and the bed was the best bed I've ever slept in. I thought that the rainfall shower was amazing too, but my boyfriend was not a fan. His first shower was scalding hot, and his 2nd shower was ice cold. This hotel is not that big, and it is new, so there should be no excuses for running out of hot water at 9 am. I also loved that checkout time was noon, and that pets are welcome, even though we did not bring ours on this particular trip.

I was not such a fan of the staff, however. Everybody was very nice, but we wanted to use the shuttle to get to the hockey game on Friday night. We signed up for the shuttle and asked if we were to meet here in the lobby. The girl at the desk told us yes, you can meet right here. Well it turns out we were supposed to go to the ground floor and meet the shuttle at the back entrance by the valet. Twice, the guy driving us pulled out right into oncoming traffic, nearly causing more than one accident. Secondly, he dropped us off like 2 blocks from the hockey game and opened the door. There were lots of people in the shuttle going to different places, and none of us knew who was supposed to get out at this spot. After he told us this was our destination, we had to ask him where we were supposed to walk to. When he picked us up again, he told us the name of some streets that we should meet him at. If we are staying in a hotel in Madison, we are obviously not from Madison, and therefore you should not expect us to know where we are going at any point.

The next day we called the shuttle to come pick us up again, and this time a girl was driving. We walked to the shuttle, around to the side entrance, and tried to open the door but it was locked. We knocked on the window for the girl to let us in, and then while I was holding onto the handle of the shuttle, she started driving off and a minute later we were getting a phone call from her trying to find us. "Um, I was standing at the shuttle knocking on the window.....????"

Then Sunday morning came around and we were finishing up our showers and getting ready to check out by noon. We had our do not disturb sign on our door. At 11:40 am I am standing in the bathroom (which is right by the main door) with the door open, only half dressed and curling my hair, when the maid unlocks the door and starts to come into the room. She sees me in the bathroom half dressed and closes the door again. When I went to check out I verified with the front desk that checkout is in fact at noon and told the girl that the maid barged in on me in the bathroom. There was no apology, just an excuse, "Well we were full last night, so the maids are pretty busy, and sometimes people forget to take the signs off the door when they leave, and she was just checking to see if the room was available or not." EXCUSE ME????? First of all, you need to have some sort of system in place that allows the maids to know if the room is empty or not. Second, if she isn't sure, then she should KNOCK first. Thirdly, if I am complaining to you that I was barged in on while in the bathroom, you freaking apologize to me, you don't make excuses!!! This should never happen under any circumstances!

My final gripe about this place is that they seem to be advertising the theme "going green." There is even a sign in the bathroom that encourages guests to save water and "shower together". Another sign about how to reuse towels, etc. BUT...this hotel room came with a dishwasher. We used two coffee cups on our first morning (none on the second morning because they never replaced our coffee supply), and instead of just washing them by hand, we found our two cups had been placed in the dishwasher and the dishwasher was started. If that isn't the biggest waste of water I have ever seen, I don't know what is.

I would probably stay here again, just because it was in a convenient location and the room itself was great, but the staff needs some serious retraining in my opinion if this place is going to make it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank okruhlik1
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us at HotelRED. I am sad to hear about the services issues you had during your stay. I am personally very sorry for our miscommunication, lack of understanding and compassion.

All of your issues should not have happened. We should certainly communicate better with you in our shuttle. The shuttle service is great but only if we effectively work with our guests. Next, our housekeeper never should have entered the room in the manner you stated. We need to ensure we fallow all of our room entry procedures every time. Lastly, our team must understand the situation you presented us; we must listen, apologize and react properly. We did none of the above.

With our comments I can use your example as a training guide to ensure this does not happen again.

I am very sorry these incidents happen to you. If there is any way I can help further please let me know.

I hope you have a wonderful end of winter.

Menomonie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Traveling to Madison once a month is made pleasurable with a stay at Hotel Red. Always I am greeted by friendly staff and clean, classy rooms. The bar staff is very professional and live music creates a great ambiance. Great location and original atmosphere!

Room Tip: A room facing Camp Randall with a balcony is your best bet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank bomarjk
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an event at Uni Wisconsin. Great hotel - clean, modern and very functional. Due to the weather we decided to eat here as well and the food was simply outstanding. We had a one bed suite and having a bath tub in the room was a little weird but room was fine if not a little awkwardly shaped. No fault of the hotel but the snow outside combined with concrete floors in the hotel room led to a bit of a messy floor in our room. Staff friendly and restaurant service very quick. Would stay here again and would look forward to doing so,

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family