“Fantastic food, friendly staff”
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our stay at HotelRED was wonderful. The entire staff (front desk/bar and restuarant/shuttle driver) was friendly and accomodating. The bar staff was very pleasant to my 7 and 14 yr old children having a soda at 4:00 in the afternoon...this isnt always the case at a hotel bar. The shuttle driver was so friendly and gave us wonderful advice on places to go and what to see. It was a busy Saturday night and a smile never left his face, when he dropped us off and when he picked us up. We had the most delicious breakfast! Portions were perfect and the food was hot and amazing! I had the best french toast I have ever had! I highly recommend this hotel. It isnt easy to travel with a child and a teenager and we all had a great experience at HotRED.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We always love seeing families at the hotel.

I can’t thank you enough for the kind words about our shuttle driver Ben. He is a wonderful asset to the team and I will make sure to pass on your sentiments. It’s also great to hear you had a good breakfast.

If you ever in Madison again please let me know; we can help make your trip even better. Thanks again for the review. I hope you have a wonderful spring.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Quite possibly, the most beautiful room I've stayed in (which says a lot because I'm a boutique hotel junkie). The Executive King room was huge, had a full kitchen and the room decor was exquisite. I understand how some people might dislike the concrete floors and such, but I love this aesthetic, so I was thrilled.

The only disappointment was the spa shower. It was blistering hot and couldn't be adjusted. Having a spa shower that beautiful and not be able to enjoy it was torture. And the young woman at the front desk seemed somewhat apologetic, but pretty indifferent, when we told her about it on the way out. It'd have been nice of her to comp us lunch or offer something for the inconvenience of washing our hair in the sink. But, alas, no joy there.

Anyway, if the showers are sorted, you couldn't ask for a nicer place to stay. I'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very excited to hear you enjoyed our room. However, I am also very sorry to hear about your shower being too hot and the lack of response from our staff. I will certainly work with our staff to understand how to work with these issues. We should have made sure you left happy, and that we didn’t do. With the showers, we have found a long-term fix and have been able to adjust every room.

Again, I am very sorry about your experience. If you’re ever in Madison again please let me know, I’d love to help however I can. I hope you have a great spring.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at the HotelRED as a quick getaway to Madison.

The room is very clearly set up for people visiting the university or for partying before a game. Concrete floors, and mini-kitchens in the rooms. The balcony (overlooking Camp Randall Stadium) was nice. The beds were comfortable, but not a room we really wanted to hang out in.

We ate dinner (small plates) on the patio and the food was good. The drinks were GREAT! We had a black pepper infused strawberry margarita - yum!! And our waitress was wonderful. When we asked how the drink was made, she wrote out the recipe for us to make it at home!

It would be a great place to be if you were going to a UW football game....right across the street. Not a great place to have a romantic weekend getaway though. If we're ever back in the area, we'll definitely stop for drinks - we'll just stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This review is overwhelmingly positive only after acknowledging how someone like "ilanortho" could be disappointed at his first stay here. I would have written a similar review about my first stay at Aloft in downtown Milwaukee two years ago: concrete floors and ceilings, sparse, IKEA like furniture. But, truth be told, the look grows on you as something different. I wouldn't design my home this way, and maybe that's the point.
I ended up at HotelRed because it was one of the few affordable bookings for a last-minute business trip, and I enjoyed it very much. On a frosty, cold-to-the-bone night, the heater kept the concrete room very comfortable; the rugs and furniture and well-supplied kitchenette also warmed the surroundings. (The Keurig coffeemaker helped with an immediate hot cup of coffee.) The lounge is very cozy with its red and black design. Every employee was at the height of friendliness on a quiet midweek evening.
If you have business at the University of Wisconsin, this hotel is in a very good location right across the street from Camp Randall Stadium. If your business is at the capitol, it's just a smidge too far if you find comparable rates at closer hotels like Hyatt Place. I would not recommend this as a family destination, but it is a very good stay for business travel and I would recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have a great view of Camp Randall stadium, but they also overlook a busy intersect...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Red hoping to find a better place in Madison. Can't complain too much because I stayed on $100 vouchers purchased as a promotional on Travel Zoo; if I had payed full price I would be very upset. On checking in the desk was very nice and helpful; I asked for an upgrade and payed $30 per night for this. I wish I hadn't. The room was downright depressing (at night) with a cold concrete finish (floors, ceiling, walls) with a few area rugs to break up the sterile appearence. The clothes closet on entering the room was covered with a curtain rather than a door and at first I thought I was in an econolodge place. Not expected in a place where rooms go for $250plus a night. After killing the large spider on the bed my wife and I settled in for a depressing evening. She slept on the side of the bed two feet away from the dishwasher and cooking range, I slept facing the see-through window curtain that faces the street. For some reason there is a red light inside the room at the window (yah we know - HotelRed) that I finally had to unscrew by climbing on a chair so I could sleep. Maybe this works for a brothel, but serves no purpose in my room.
The bed was very comfortable, and the room extremely quiet, something I value above all in a hotel. I still couldn't help joking to my wife that the concrete bunker only needed the sound of Soviet artillery closing in to take me back to WWII Berlin.
The surround shower knobs were stuck as far as temp control concerned; scalding or cold; the desk said they were having problems with these units, and by the time I could get it working the water was tepid having run out of hot water; the desk says on weekends they hear this occurs. Unnacceptable. To their credit they promptly fixed it and the next day the shower worked fine.
At breakfast the food was excellent but the server only showed up twice; to take the order and deliver the food and check. Couldn't get what I needed to complete the meal (butter for the toast). Parking in the garage is at least free (all the other Hiltons and Hyatts charge in Madison), but is extremely tight.
Anyways, it was a bargain for me ( I don't mind spending $600/ night at the Trump Tower), but wasn't worth it to me either.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent stay at HotelRED. I am very sorry to hear that it did not meet our own standards. We pride ourselves on delivering a good stay and we clearly failed on a number of items. First, we should have ensured your room was in perfect order for your arrival. Second, we must be more attentive in the restaurant. I am working with our staff on all of these issues. Thanks to your comments, I have concrete items to move forward.

If you need anything in the future please let me know. Again I am sorry to hear about your stay.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I love this place - I haven't traveled much in my life - but this hotel seems to be everything a hotel should be! Really cool red/black/white decor, a "soaking tub" in the bedroom, and a very comfortable/soft bed! When you check in, you get some free chocolates and a cocktail! Bonus! And they offered a free shuttle service in the evening to take you where you wanted to go w/in a 3 mile radius. I will be back here, definitely!

Room Tip: The photos on their website are exactly what the rooms look like - which doesn't happen often wi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at HotelRed last weekend for a winter getaway and had a very positive experience. I will clarify that the University was not in session while we were there ... I'm guessing it would be a much different experience during school semesters. The location of the hotel is great and very accessible with covered parking (although you do have to walk outside a very short distance to get to the door for the elevator ... since it rained during our trip, it would be nicer if there were access from inside the garage). When we arrived in our room after a long day of traveling, the first plan was to take a bath in the soaking tub in our suite. Unfortunately, we determined our suite had no hot water. We called the front desk who immediately checked into the problem, and advised it could not be repaired that night, so they credited us for our full night's stay and moved us into another room (unfortunately the only one available was the accessible-room that had no tub). We loved the concrete floors and modern decor, but you'll want to bring slippers to keep your feet cushioned and warm (there was a note in the room that they had slippers at the front desk if you don't bring your own). We also enjoyed the larger walk-in shower with multiple water sprays. The beds and furniture were very comfortable and the wireless internet was free, strong and reliable. We truly appreciated the attentiveness and immediate response of the staff. We also loved the quick walk around the corner for amazing breakfasts at Mickie's Dairy Bar ... and just a few blocks down the street is Trader Joe's, Strictly Discs, Orange Tree Imports and several restaurant choices.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms would be very nice during better weather.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. Your comments are very helpful. I’m sorry to hear that we had an issue with hot water during your stay. However, it sounds like the staff did the best they could to make the situation right. I very much appreciate hearing about the staff’s effort.

I love hearing that you were able to enjoy many of our wonderful neighbors. If you ever in town again I’d love to tell you about even more cool local spots.

Thanks again for staying with us. I hope you have a great weekend.