“Nice But...”

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Tampa, FL
“Nice But...”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I really liked the concept of this hotel and the room was very clean. Shower would be awesome if you could adjust the water temperature. I had no problem figuring out how to turn on the multiple shower heads and there are many, looks like a dream shower. The problem is the knob to regulate the water temperature would not grab the internal mechanism. I could turn the knob to any setting and the water remained scolding hot, therefore, I could not shower before leaving for a business meeting, there was no time to call and have someone come to the room to fix this. The cleaning staff should check the showers operation when cleaning the rooms and report issues to be repaired before assigning the rooms.

Keurig coffee pot was nice but they only supple mild coffee. I knew they had a Keurig before going so I brought my own k-cup so not a big deal.

Restaurant - excellent.

Room Tip: Would I stay here again, you bet. However, I would check the shower out way before I needed to use...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
WI
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is an awesome hotel! The restaurant has great food and a friendly staff. It has a modern/upbeat feel not found in the typical hotel, plus it is pet friendly! The location is great and walkable to everything downtown!

Room Tip: Try the food, it's fantastic!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I've attended several events and stayed at HotelRed since its opening last year. Each experience has improved on the last as the staff gains expertise and confidence and as they continue to expand their ever-growing list of amenities. Madison has been lacking a hip,upscale destination hotel for a long time. The folks at HotelRed have enthusiastically and effectively filled that void. The minimalist/modern style definitely may not suit everyone. But everyone--no matter your style preferences--can appreciate the delicious food and drinks; the attention to detail; the thorough cleanliness; and the accommodating, charming, and friendly staff. I've recommended HotelRed to several locals and out-of-owners and they've all become fans!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 21, 2012

One of the worst hotels I have ever seen. Here are the issues-
1. Shuttle- a big lie. They told it is subject to availability and most of the time it is not available.
2. Room - cheap but they charge huge.
3.shower- looks like a space shuttle control room. Who designed this shower? His IQ is not more than 17.5, I bet!
4. Restaurant - serves crapy food but charges huge.
5. Very noisy at night because it is close to a main street.
I wonder who wrote good review for this hotel- people appointed by the hotel?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for the review. I am personally very sorry to hear about your stay. Clearly there was not a lot that went right. I will work with our entire staff to ensure we solve these issues. I will work with our shuttle staff to ensure we communicate as best we can in order to offer the shuttle to the most people. I will also work with our restaurant to ensure everything served is of the highest quality. Lastly, we are working on the showers to simplify the process.

Thank you again for taking the time to send a review. I am very sorry for your disappointing stay. I hope you have a wonderful happy season.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is hardly better than a Motel 6.
The room was stylish and nice to look at but our stay was full of problems.
The Hotel Red does not have a gym, pool, 24/7 room service, valet parking or any other amenities that I associate with luxury accommodation; but the price is really high and screams luxury hotel.
We couldn't check into our room until 430pm, 90 minutes after the hotel check in time (and the staff was rude about us wanting to check in at 3pm).
We experienced nothing but trouble with the complicated showers, we literally either had only scalding hot water or freezing cold water, nothing in between, the staff was apologetic but couldn't offer a permanent solution. We were unable to enjoy this feature if the suite, which we were looking forward to.

We also couldn't watch television in the room. The signal kept going in and out. The TV displayed an error message more often than picture.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank SFamiky
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I am very sorry to hear about all the problems with your stay. Certainly we did not live up to our own expectations throughout the entire weekend. We strive to ensure every guest leaves happy and we fell very short.

Your review has provided an impetus to resolve all of the issue during your stay. We are currently repairing the problems with the TV’s and ensuring the showers have the full range of temperature. Above all else, no matter the issue, we never should have acted in a rude manner towards you. I take this very seriously and will be meeting with the staff to stop any such behavior from happening in the future. We have a wonderful team and I must make sure they have the platform to shine.

Thank you for taking the time to write this helpful review. I again am very sorry about your stay. If you ever stay in Madison again please let me know how I can help. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I along with our 15 month old had a great stay at HotelRED in Madison. The rooms were large and very comfortable. Parking was free, and the best part is there is an awesome little diner right next to the hotel that sells WONDERFUL breakfasts! It's an older mom n pop style diner (cash only). I would recommend this hotel to all travellers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for both staying with us and your wonderful review. We certainly appreciate the kind words. It sounds like you had a chance to stop by Mickies Dairy Bar next door. We are very lucky to have such a great neighbor.

If you ever need anything in a future stay please don’t hesitate to ask. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a nice alternative to the usual Hilton/Marriott stay for business travel. Most comfortable bed I've slept in years of work travel. Nice big workspace in my room with plenty of natural light and lamps. Internet is fast and there were quite a few easy to reach outlets. Big screen TV mounted on the wall with all the channels and no distracting outside noise. The New Glarus ales in the mini-bar were a nice touch. The food is interesting and has a great local flavor while the bar has an upscale feel and was perfect for entertaining. Great location around the corner from interesting restaurants and shops. I'm told they're building a fitness center- the lack thereof is the only downside. I usually stay where I can accumulate rewards points but I'm making an exception in Madison for HotelRED!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business