“Massive room and very enjoyable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of HotelRED

HotelRED
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Madison
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Massive room and very enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have stayed at HotelRed twice now both for 1 night stays and very much enjoyed it both times. The staff is very friendly and professional. The décor modern and fun but not cold, the rooms massive with lots of room to spread out. The kitchenette would be a lot of fun for longer stays but I have not had the chance to really partake. My two favorite features are the beds, amazingly comfortable and inviting. You will never want to leave. And the shower, a rain fall shower head with 6 horizontal shower-heads and wand. Basically it has every comfort you should want, weather you need to be woken up in the morning or massaged after a long hard day.
The location is great for Badger game days if you can get it, but I am sure you should be ready for the crowds and your right next to Mickey’s which should never be missed. Overall I enjoyed both my stays and plan on staying again the next time I am in Madison. As I said before the hotel is modern spacious and welcoming, and the only hard part is getting out of bed in the morning to enjoy all the fun that is Madison.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

In town on business, stayed one night. It was going to be three, but I spent the last two nights at another downtown hotel.
If all you need is a bed, theirs are incredible. That's about where the praise stops. The check in staff acted friendly enough, but it seemed artificial. The staff, and even the decor, gave off an air of pretention; the sort of pompous attitude that says "we don't REALLY care what you think, but we sure want to appear to." It's one thing to believe in the brand you're trying to establish. It is completely another to try too hard, which Hotel Red is guilty of. Almost everything there screams "Hey. I'm trendy. Look at me!" While there are some great elements to the decor, such as the voiceprints over the beds (voiceprintsart.com), the rest basically fails. Granted, the lot dimensions complicate construction, but it is really a blocky facade and a strange place. Red is the obvious color for the location, but the scheme is overdone, tired, played out. Even when the 80s are "back" enough for this scheme to work, their decor will physically be old and tired, which won't be appealing, either. And all that decor will be holding that acrid, wet concrete odor, which another reviewer mentioned. The same reviewer also mentioned noise from the traffic, and I echo that complaint, as well.
I ate one meal at the Wise, and I can only convey disappointment. Mickie's, which sits adjacent to the hotel, is remarkable. Eat there, or at any of Madison's other excellent restaurants.
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd stay here again, even if it were free. The hotel I spent my last two nights in had beds just as comfortable, and the people were more genuine.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank badgertraveler1
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at HotelRed for one night on a weekend vacation, and it really exceeded expectations. For about what we'd pay for a typical moderately-nice hotel, we got a really stylish room with all sorts of perks. The pleasant surprises started at check-in, with a complimentary beverage (and more free drink tickets for the bar) and continued throughout.There was the kitchenette, which wasn't that useful with only one night but was nevertheless convenient, as the room came with wine glasses. Our room also had a very nice couch and sitting area and a furnished balcony. Plus the design was nice, with concrete floors and ceilings and a wide-open, loft feel. The location was fine for us, and would be GREAT for football games as we can see the whole stadium across the street from our window. All in all, a surprisingly nice stay and great value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you for recently staying with us at HotelRED. I am very excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you made the most of the hotel. Hopefully you will get a chance to stay with us over a football weekend to see how great the atmosphere really is.

If you ever need anything for a future stay please let me know and I’d be happy to help. I hope you have a great beginning of summer.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Red was, by far, one of the best experiences we have had at a hotel. The entire staff, at every level, was very courteous, pleasant, friendly and efficient. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you very much for both staying with us at HotelRED and your kind words about our staff. I will certainly let everyone know what you said. They always love hearing what guests have to say. If you’re ever in Madison again please don’t hesitate to let me know if you need anything at all. I hope you have a great week.

South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

HotelRed, one night for business. Interesting hotel, much like the W hotel with bare concrete floors and ceilings, which gave off an acrid wet concrete smell which was somewhat annoying. The floor grew cold, with outside temperatures in the upper fifties. My location overlooking Monroe Street was noisy with the morning and evening rush hour traffic, trucks and buses.

The staff was overwhelmingly courteous and helpful. The item that really irritated me was the fact that all news channels, MSNBC CNN, CNNHLN, and Fox were listed, however on the 3 flat screen tv's in my room none of them would receive a signal for Fox, even though it was listed on the channel menu in the room. A technical glitch or deliberate attempt to censor the news in this great city?

I will leave that for future discussion. Overall an average hotel, but I think I would have rather had double points at the downtown Hilton!

Room Tip: Warm weather? I would choose a room (odd number) on the Monroe street side, despite some minor traf...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gwilliams901
Jason I, General Manager at HotelRED, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you very much for both your recent stay at HotelRED and your feedback. I want to personally apologize for not meeting your expectations. All of the issues during your stay were within our control and therefore we must do a better job of quickly solving the problems. In particular we were experience problems with two television channels, including FOX, throughout the week. We were able to resolve the issue by the end of the week (an issue with the floodgate) but it still interrupted your stay and for that I am sorry.

If you ever need anything in the future please let me know personally. I hope you have a wonderful summer and thank you again for staying with us.

Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I truly enjoy staying at boutique hotels and HotelRED is a winner! From the pleasant staff at the front desk...big shout outs to Jyothi and Jessie to the overall design, decor and esthetics of this establishment, HotelRED should be highly considered when planning a visit to Madison, WI.
Carefully tucked away in a residential neighborhood near Camp Randall StadiumHotelRED is located on popular Monroe Street, which offers a plethora of shopping, dining options and things to do and see.
My room was fantastic! I stayed in the King Executive, which was artfully decorated with modern furniture and clean lines coupled with the signature red, black and white color palette which made the room welcoming and warm. This room had a kitchenette-dishwasher, fridge, etc which blended seamlessly with the room's decor.
I found the hotel to be quiet (Mid April), the personnel from the housekeeping staff to the front desk to be professional and caring and the overall aura of the hotel peaceful and serene.
Without hesitation or reservation-no pun intended-I highly recommend HotelRED to be the 'it' hotel in Madison, WI.
Just to give full disclosure, I did luck up and find this hotel on Jettsetters, so my room rate was discounted however, because of my positive experience I would pay full price for my room if I was to return to Madison, WI.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Moorhead, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

We pulled into the parking lot during an extremely busy time, and had not checked in yet. The valet attendant told us that he already had our name and would provide free valet service. I don't usually find free parking at higher-end hotels like this. When we checked in, the front desk staff was very friendly, and offered us free candy (red gummy bears, etc.) and also a complimentary adult beverage (some red vodka drink). The room was incredible. The floors and ceilings are all concrete, and the decorations are extremely modern and unique. We had a King executive, but it had plenty of space for two of us. The shower is very large and had multiple jets for a full-body experience. The free shuttle service is first-class. The driver took us to State Street in a full-size black Suburban, and he was extremely friendly. When we came back, we checked out the Wise lounge for a couple drinks, and the service was top-notch there as well. Even the mini-bar in the room was not over-the-top expensive. I actually thought the prices were fairly reasonable compared to standard mini-bar prices. I booked this room online for $179 at a AAA rate, and it was probably one of the best hotel values I've ever received. We will definitely try to stay hear again whenever we come to Madison.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple