“Wonderful Hotel -- Priced Right!”

Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Madison
“Wonderful Hotel -- Priced Right!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I can't say enough about this wonderful hotel. The rooms were clean and large and included microwave and refrigerator, the beds comfortable, showers wonderful. There was a nice pool and whirlpool. And the property had a lot of grassy area with picnic tables where the kids could run and play. Staff was friendly and helpful.

In addition, they offered a complete breakfast included...waffles, scrambled eggs, the whole bit.

I was a little hesitant to book this hotel because it wasn't a name I had heard and the price was in the $60 range. I was so happy I did! Don't hesitate, book a room with this wonderful hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Although listed as "Grand Hotel Madison" in Trip Advisor, this hotel is actually named Magnuson Grand Hotel Madison.

While looking for a place to stay near the Ho Chunk casino in Madison, I located this place as there is not much around this area (where Route 12 meets I-90/I-39). After reading the reviews, I started my booking, finding that I could get a even better rate by joining the Magnuson Star Club that provided me a promo code to use for future bookings.

I went to the casino before checking in, but was told when checking in, they could have called the casino to shuttle me over there. I was greated by Aaron (the general manager) who was working at the front desk that Saturday afternoon (he was also there when I left Sunday morning). He informed me of when the breakfast was and that they can cook you a pizza (for $10) at the front desk. He also had a menu on display from a local pizzeria that would deliver pizzas and other food. I opted to call and have the local pizzaria deliver.

The room was quite large and in some hotels might actually call a "junior suite" as it had the bed area and then a separate sitting area with sofa(bed) and coffee table. The room had a TV (surprisingly not flat-screen) and a small fridge. The bathroom was clean and had nicer than usual shampoo & soap. They must have towels being taking by guests, as there was also a price list of these if you wanted to buy them from housekeeping.

The included continental breakfast was in a large area off the lobby and included hot items including eggs and biscuits and gravy. Besides the usual breads and cereals, there was also a waffle station and some fruits including a bowl of raspberries & blueberries that were still cold (from being frozen) but a pleasant surprise.

The stay overall was excellent, and I would definitely consider staying there again if I am up in the Madison area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cubfan63
St. Louis
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights at this hotel when in Madison on business. This is my second time staying here, and I will return again. I selected this hotel originally due to it's proximity to the company I was visiting on business, and secondly, because of the great rate it offered on an upscale suite.

I stayed in one of the Jacuzzi suites. These have a King bed, separate sofa and chair, small fridge and microwave, and a two person oversized jacuzzi tub in a second room of the main. There is also a standard bathroom with shower and vanity as well.

PLUS:
Very large room, with the huge jacuzzi tub to relax in at the end of the day, or to play in if traveling with another.
Fridge and microwave to allow you to have snacks or drinks, or to store perishable medicines if you are a diabetic.
Very comfortable bed with lots of pillows.
Good location just off the interstate.
Low rates for a suite - paid only $16 more per day for a jacuzzi suite, than nearby hotels or motels were asking for a standard room.

NEGATIVES:
Internet Access was free and wireless, but the signal strength was poor in my room, making connections slow.
A/C was rather noisy when running, but room temp was comfortable even with outside temps at zero.
Poor lighting in room - could use higher wattage bulbs in one or two of the desk lamps.

Room Tip: Look for the Jacuzzi room specials if staying more than two nights. Or even specials on single nigh...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank s1mcgoo1
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2011

staff were all friendly, hotel was super clean, breakfast was good, met all my expectations.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel was magnificent. Staff was super nice during every shift I encountered, always willing to please the guests. Rooms were very clean and the jacuzzi is big and very inviting. Special thanks to Aaron the hotel manager for making out stay a memorable one. Will definitely come back any day!

The one thing we didn't like was the breakfast. Could improve on that department.

• Stayed July 2011
AaronMag, Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thank you so much for the feedback! I am so happy that your stay was positive overall. I would be grateful for some further feedback on the breakfast. We are always looking to change up our breakfast items to meet guest preference. I hope to you have stay with us again soon. Let me know what we can do to improve, we always appreciate all feedback!
-Aaron Pruefert
Eau Claire
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Our room smelled disgusting, very musty and stale, perhaps it was previously a smoking room. The pool was ok, nothing fancy, but the hot tub smelled moldy and dirty. There was hair (from the previous guests) in the tub and on the bathroom floor. We didn't sleep well as the matresses were uncomfortable and the pillows flat. The popcorn in the lobby was nice. The hot breakfast was good, but like another reviewer mentioned, I was suprised that there wasn't some sausage or bacon to go with the eggs!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CleanMom19
AaronMag, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
If you feel previous guest smoked in room, please contact us so that we can move you immediately! Unfortunately this does happen from time to time. For your safety, public hot tubs have chemicals in them but these chemicals do sometimes emit an odor. Guests sometimes complain that our pillows are too fluffy, I have never heard that they are too flat but we will gladly bring additional pillows anytime a guest requests it. Our breakfast offers eggs, either biscuits and gravy or corn beef hash, various yogurt, cereals, oatmeal, donuts, Belgium waffles, bagels, muffins, English muffins, toast, fresh fruit, juices, teas and coffee; all included with stay. Please give us a chance to address issues during stay when they arise and we will do everything we can do resolve them! Thank you for your feedback!

Travelers are raving about these Madison hotels

Iowa
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My mother and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days. It was a very hot week (heat advisories), and I was really looking forward to air conditioning, but the room we were given didn't have an a/c unit that worked properly (it blew out cool air, but not cold air, which was needed in the 90+ temperatures with humidity). Since my mother is 70 and disabled, I helped her to the room and lugged all of our stuff in before discovering that the a/c wasn't working (all a/c is off in the rooms when they're not occupied, so it was initially quite hot in the room). I went to the front desk and was given another room. The second room had fine a/c, but the room safe was not working (the panel had been torn off and there was tape on it to keep it in place). I'd borrowed my husbands netbook for the trip because I knew the rooms had safes and although normally I might hide the computer in my car without a safe, it was far too hot to be able to do that. The desk clerk, after a long wait, came up and tried the safe, but couldn't get it to work either, and she said that there was no one there to fix it. I ended up checking two other rooms and one had a safe that didn't work and the other didn't even have a safe. The desk clerk was pleasant, and said she'd try to look for another, but it took so long for her to help the first time, and it was getting late and we hadn't eaten dinner yet, so finally I told her that we'd stay in the room for the night and would change to one with a/c and a working safe the next day, and I asked her to take off the room safe fee for the night. I then had to carry the netbook with me when we went out, which although it's not heavy, was not fun in the heat and while helping my mother. We also didn't totally unpack since we knew we'd have to move, so that wasn't ideal. The next day a different desk clerk gave me a room to try, but again, no working safe. She then tried to find one that did, but couldn't. She was going to have me go back downstairs with her to give me other keys, but I told her that I'd wait in the room for her to find one (I'd left my mother alone all of this time). After quite a wait she called me and said that she and the manager had checked all of the available rooms (and there must have been quite a few since not that many people staying there during the week we were there), but none of them had a safe that worked. None of them!? So we stayed in the room, and they let me keep the netbook in the hotel safe (which meant I had to wait at the desk every time I wanted to leave it or pick it up). On the second day as we were going out in the early afternoon the manager asked if we wanted someone to come and fix the safe in the room, but since my mother didn't want anyone to go in while we were out that wasn't feasible, and I asked why we weren't told that someone could have fixed the safe earlier in the day since we'd been there quite awhile. The manager, whose first name is Aaron I believe, was rather rude and said that I should have known someone could come and fix it since I'd been told the day before that the person to fix it wasn't there that day. Am I supposed to know their maintenance schedule? Since I had many interactions with the clerks and with the manager, they could have easily said to me when they could send someone to fix it, but they didn't say anything at all.
Now while this is not earth-shaking stuff, what is interesting to me is that they charge $1 per night per room for room safes that don't work. Most people aren't going to make a fuss about such a small charge, but when you add it all up across all rooms, they're making quite a bit for something that they don't actually have.
There weren't too many other issues with the hotel, although the tub didn't drain.
On the good side, the breakfast was nice, and the guy who was there all three mornings was very friendly and helpful. But for me that isn't enough, so I'd have to say that I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Check your room and make sure it has everything it's supposed to before unpacking.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We took care of A/C problem by promptly moving guest to room that blew colder air during heat wave. Almost every hotel in the world offers a safe due to potential liability of lost items. Guest happened to have problems with their safe when maintenance was off duty. When we offered maintenance at any time over an 8 hour period when maintenance was on duty, guest said they would be gone during those 8 hours and didn't trust maintenance in their room while they were gone. We cannot resolve issue if guest will not allow us into room. We accommodated guest by locking up laptop in hotel safe at the desk. Our guests leave their laptops out in their room everyday and none have ever gone missing. I understand desire to keep the laptop safe and we did that by keeping it locked in the hotel safe. $1.00 safe fee refunded anytime upon request and fee is much lower than most hotels. We care about our guests experience and do everything in our power to accommodate.