“What a charming Hotel!”
Review of Hotel Ruby Marie

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Hotel Ruby Marie
Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed May 21, 2008

The Hotel Ruby Marie is a lovely hotel. The rooms where clean, comfortable and charming with an old world charm. I must admitt after reading the reviews I was a bit nervous. Smoking is not allowed in the restaurants for almost 5 years. I was on the second floor above but heard very little noise and slept like a baby. There is a train on the other side of the hotel but I did not hear it. I live near a train in Illinois- Some rooms have a view of the water and there is a lovely walk and jogging area. Some of our group went to read out in the sun on the path acc. It is about 4 blocks to the capital and it was a nice walk-I am used to San Francisco and love the energy of a city. The breakfast was huge-anything off the menu and delicious. My husband had eggs and a huge trout one morning. We all had a great weekend and just loved this cute diamond in the rough.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank PattiLynnSouthHaven

Reviewed February 23, 2008

My husband and I recently took an overnight trip to madison and chose hotel ruby based on the closeness to the event we were to attend the following day. We arrived around 9 to find no parking at the hotel and intoxicated people gathering outside the entrance of the attached bar/restaurant. We had to pick up our key in the bar below the hotel(no one on duty in the hotel itself) Loud voices and music made its way into our room the rest of the night. After tossing and turning the entire night due to the noise we finally got to sleep. At 6 am a train right outside our window went by blowing its horn. After 5 minutes of that showers and footsteps (above I imagine) began. After that we heard women talking loudly walking by our room. I cant believe the doors and walls are so thin! Then around 9:30 we heard a woman talking loudly for the next hour and a half. Only to finally leave our horrible night behind us and find that the person speaking so loudly is the inn keeper! (We were down the hall. No one needs to speak that loud!)

We will never ever in a million years recommend this hotel. It was the worst night we have ever had in a hotel.

Shame on you hotel ruby for a promising get away that was never fulfilled.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank josieluv
Reviewed January 5, 2008

We stayed at the Ruby Marie the last weekend in December. We had a deluxe room, which was very spacious, extremely clean, and beautifully furnished. The room had a huge, comfortable bed, a hot tub, a fireplace, a small kitchen area with a microwave, small fridge and a sink. The owners did an outstanding job restoring this hotel, which had to be quite a project considering the size of the building. Yes, it is true that no one is at the front desk after 7:00 p.m., but guests are told about this in advance. Also, there is a phone number to call if an emergency were to arise. The staff we did meet were very friendly and helpful. Madison is a decent size city, and cell phones definitely work here. Breakfast was served at the Come Back In, which is located two doors down from the hotel. You are given a menu by the waitress and told that you may order any breakfast item. I believe that a continental breakfast is served in a different location during the week. Our breakfast was very large and delicious. If you are a light sleeper, the Ruby Marie may not be for you. The hotel is located on a busy intersection and there is some traffic noise, plus there are trains that go by a couple of times. We had a corner room just above the intersection, so its possible that if you stayed in another room the noise would not be as loud. We're used to city noises, so it wasn't a problem for us. As far as noises from other guests or patrons at the saloon downstairs, there was none. The Ruby Marie is conveniently located close to downtown Madison, and is within walking distance to restaurants, shops, State Street and the Capitol. I would recommend this hotel. Oh, and if you eat at the Essen Haus, be sure to try the German chocolate cake. The best I've ever had!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank toried
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I had to be in Madison to take medical boards. The reviews of the place were pretty positive. I have two kids at UW and am always looking for a better place to stay.
The room was very pretty and like a bedroom in a home. The courtyard below was charming. The place was clean.
After the bar closed a group sat in the courtyard all night drinking, smoking, yelling, and laughing. It was like they were in the room with me. All night.
There is no one on site after the bar closes. The "manager" gives a home number only to be used "in dire emergency".
No sleep, medical boards. hmmm.
I emailed the manager upon my return home and her response was that I should have called 911. ???.
Anyway, a beautiful place, totally mismanaged, and maybe dangerous (if there really was an emergency during the night).

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank KathrynMn
Reviewed January 26, 2007

I've stayed at the Ruby Marie one night in the past for a wedding. Decided to give it a try again as I was looking for something that wasn't a typical chain. I appreciated the historical value of the building, and the rooms have been updated to present day standards. Don't expect the staff to be at your beck and call - this isn't a typical Bed & Breakfast. Also, there are some issues with rooms facing the street. Plenty of traffic early in the morning, and also a train that blares it's whistle around 6am. But overall, it was comfortable and a little like staying at home. We stayed during a Badger home game - the place was completely booked - but didn't have issues with any of the guests.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank tveditor
Reviewed November 5, 2006

Nice building in a nice location, but... The staffing is VERY limited so you are pretty much on your own. Worst of all, when the bar on the ground floor closed for the night they must turn off the exhaust fan because the stench of cigarette smoke became so strong that it woke us up from a deep sleep. In the morning there was only the maid there to complain to. Too bad... this place could be a jem but sorry to say... it's a bust.

• Stayed: October 2003, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank B'nB_Lvr
A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, WI
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Although a lovely little hotel, you had better hope no one is trying to reach you during your stay. The front desk attendants are there sporadically and no one can contact you directly in your room, so they are at the mercy of the delinquent front desk to get through to you.

Stayed: May 2006