“Lovely”
Review of Hotel Ruby Marie

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Hotel Ruby Marie
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Madison
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Lovely”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The pictures and reviews do no say enough about this hotel! The historic decor was a turn-off to me upon booking, but seeing it in person, it is nothing short of lovely. It's old decor with a modern take and is truly gorgeous, not gaudy. I stayed in room 12 and don't have a bad thing to say about it. The bed was comfortable, I definitely used the jacuzzi tub, and it had large windows facing out toward the lake. I also enjoyed using the drink tickets at the Up North (I think?) Bar. The bartender was friendly and the atmosphere was great. We met new people and had a blast!
The breakfast is from the local bakery so it is all pastries. However, there was a wide variety as well as savory pastries and everything was excellent.
The only negative I have is that it lies right next to the train tracks, and there is a train that comes by early... like around 6. However, I did not find it to be too loud and really all the wonderful benefits of this hotel easily outweigh that small inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AshKicks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Abilene
Reviewed October 4, 2012

What a fun way to experience downtown Madison! The Ruby Marie made us feel like a part of the emerging West, but with convenient surroundings. It is also a different B and B experience, since we walked downstairs to the bakery and chose our own breakfast goodies. Our baker/manager/server there was a gem, and really the single individual we had most consistent contact with on this outing. Ruby Marie is nice walking distance from the Capitol, State Street restaurants, and just across from the bike rental shop. We loved riding around the city on its paths, as well as on one of the Rails to Trails. That was the purpose of our trip initially. Thank you Ruby Marie for enhancing our experience in Madison!

Room Tip: You might want to be aware of neighboring night-life and request a quieter room if that is your pref...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean023
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed in roon #23 which was a large suite with a hot tub. The room was a great location to celebrate Octoberfest as all the festivities were in our parking lot, Dylan and Joshua were awesone on recommendations and directions. The location puts you in the middle of Madison. The breakfast the next day was special. You could order anything you wanted off the breakfast menu including alcoholic drinks. We had a great time !!

Room Tip: top story rooms are the best
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Outstanding boutique inn located in a great location on the lake in Madison. The inn is very cute and clean and would stay there again. Also, you cannot beat the deal - two comp beers and breakfast too. You have to stay there!

newcastle on tyne UK
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Ruby Marie for the second time whilst on an American road trip. The Hotel has an excellent position for visiting Madison. The rooms were excellent decorated in an 'old fashioned ' theme. Staff were friendly and helpful. breakfasts were very good and the drink vouchers for the downstairs pub were helpful. Excellent value and one of the best hotels we stayed in on our trip

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We found the Hotel Ruby Marie on the internet and we were not disappointed. It is lovely boutique hotel that has been refurbished from it's original use as a railroad hotel and they have done a great job. The room was nicely appointed with a referagator, coffee machine, comfortable beds and nice bathroom. Guests are given a token each for a drink in the hotel's pub, which had good draft beer and two very good pinball machines. A stay there also entitles you to a complimentary breakfast in the deli on the first floor. There we found cereal, fresh fruit and just baked muffins, danish, scones and bread with cold cuts. Right next door is the Come Back Inn, a nice pub and next to that The Essen House a great German pub and restaurant. We loved The Essen House for it's atmosphere and great food. This hotel will definitely be our future stop in Madison.
The only downside was that the wireless connection faded in and out.

1 Thank Diane Lynn
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I wanted to like the Hotel Ruby Marie, but there were significant issues. I wrote to the manager, who responded that some of the issues might be addressed (in future!)

1. The first and crucial issue is security. Neither night that I was there was the front door locked, even though it would have been possible to do so. Especially for women guests, this is a huge concern.
2. To compound the problem, there is no staff on duty. I was given a cell phone number of the manager. This is just not adequate. I had no blanket and no hair dryer in my room during my stay, but there was no one to talk to, even during the hours of 7-7, when there was supposed to be someone on duty. The only staff that I ever saw was on the day that I checked out, when I had to call from the front desk and wait for ten minutes for the man who was also vacuuming a room to call me back.

There was no one to help when my room was not restocked the second day. No coffee for me.
I wanted to like the hotel, as the location is convenient and the rooms are lovely but those issues, plus the noise from the bar below, and the smokers outside my window, made me go back to my regular hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 13 that had a view of a busy intersection, the train tracks, and a peak of Lake Mon...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo