All reviews social hour mini kitchen free breakfast waffles attending an event biscuits and gravy convention center close to downtown cold cereal each evening room was large free shuttle would stay again hot tub short drive cookies easy access
Selected filters
Reviewed January 4, 2006

I loved this hotel. The room was large and immaculate, and I really appreciated the microwave and refrigerator. The staff was quite riendly and went out of their way to fill special requests. The amenities such as the pool and workout rooms were very nice and you can't beat the location. This will definitely be the place I stay the next time I return to Madison.

Date of stay: December 2005
1  Thank Traveler11272
Reviewed July 6, 2005

We stayed 1 night at the Clarion. The AAA rate was better than the internet rate. Check-in and check-out were effortless. We were able to check-in VERY early. The room was spacious and clean. The ample refrigerator held our 2 large leftover pizza boxes. The vanity, tub and toilet were in the sam room. A dressing table with large mirror was located outside of the bathroom. The free hot breakfast was adequate but the eating area was filled at 7am with hotel-staying conventioneers. By 8 am the eating area was empty. There is no restaurant on site. A decent business center is located just off of the lobby. We didn't use the pool. The central location is great with easy access to the main Madison roads. KEN & JEN

Date of stay: June 2005
5  Thank KPKOREN
Reviewed January 18, 2005

The Clarion Suites is very conveniently located adjacent to the Alliant Energy Center expo center. An enclosed corridor connects the two, making the Clarion a great lodging choice when attending or hosting events at the Alliant.

I stay at this property on an annual basis (most recent stay: Dec. '04) and have always been pleased. It seems to have the perfect balance between the feel of a more expensive business hotel while still providing many of the amenities that most budget chains offer for free:

Free business center with computer and printer
Free wireless internet in-room (and free cables from the front desk)
Free full breakfast buffet
Free weekday afternoon reception with wine, beer, and snacks
Free parking
Free hotel shuttle

There is an indoor pool and hot tub area, along with an exercise room. The hotel is also pet-friendly.

Rooms range from small, single queen-bed units to large two-room suites (albeit with only a single King bed, plus a sofa sleeper). The large suites have a kitchen, full size fridge, plus dishes. It's a nice place to entertain -- you could host an in-room cocktail party, business meeting, etc. I've personally hosted 20+ in a large suite for a party. The large suites can be combined with the small single-Queen units to form a two-bedroom suite (the two rooms -- keyed separately -- share a common unlocked foyer area).

The mid-size suites have a small kitchenette with microwave and small fridge, two queen beds or a King plus a sleeper sofa. The bathrooms are large and feature a separate dressing area. (A vanity sink outside the bathroom would be a plus however).

The beds are comfortable. Most suites are very spacious, offering lots of space for families or the business traveler who doesn't like to feel confined in the typical small spaces of a hotel room.

Date of stay: December 2004
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank xrae
Reviewed November 7, 2004

Like the previous submitters, my business associate and I reserved our room well in advance. When we checked in, we were not told that our room type had been changed. We called the desk when we arrived at our room, finding one bed instead of the two we had reserved. We were told that our room had been given to someone who wanted to stay an additional night, and since that person's organization had a contract with the hotel, their request was honored over our reservation. We were told that no more rooms with two beds were available, and that we could either use the sofa bed or have a rollaway. Interestingly, later that night, another colleague of ours checked into the hotel, and was given a room with two beds, even though she was travelling alone. We were also told that our room rate had been reduced due to the inconvenience, however, the reduced rate was the same rate as our original rate. From the reviews posted here, it appears that switching room types and falsely stating that room rates have been adjusted is par for the course here. I recommend staying at either the Sheraton or Holiday Inn Express which are across the street, rather than dealing with the Clarion, where customer service and satisfaction seems unimportant.

3  Thank diconsultant
Reviewed July 6, 2004

Our room was very nice with new furnishings and decor. Unlike the Embassy Suite Hotels, the weekday managers reception at 17:30 consisted of complimentary wine and beer only. The hotel provided snacks one day at the reception and the next day they didn’t. The complimentary breakfast was extensive enough that anyone should be able to find something to their liking. Facilities were generally in good shape.

We had to insist on getting the room type we had booked on line 4 months ahead of time. We found on arrival that we had been downgraded from our upper level one bedroom suite to a junior suite: the difference being a bedroom door and a separate living area. Strangely, the price did not go down. The hotel staff said that someone had refused to vacate our room. I am not sure how they determined that this was the room we reserved. My guess is that it was because we were not part of one of the many teen tumblers who were on convention that week. After two verbal standoffs with myself and my partner, we were placed on the non-smoking second floor with no view and allowed to smoke. So, yes the hotel did eventually come through with our request, but what a bad way to start a trip to Madison. Strangely this has happened to me before with another Choice hotel. It has made me think that it is more than just a fluke. I will think twice before booking with any Choice Hotel again.

I like the near west location, but next time I will choose Sheraton or the Holiday Inn Express since their location is just as close to downtown, and still less expensive and generally more available that the hotels in downtown Madison.

5  Thank Darren C