“Great price and staff but poor amenities-not their fault ("corporate") decisions”

Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Just got back from staying there 3 nights. For $75/night I got a bed, kitchenette (great because I cook on the road), table, desk, comfy chair. But the quality of everything was pretty mediocre. Fridge door stuck, microwave door stuck, bare bones utensils, 1 person coffee pot, super loud furnace, bad lighting etc. Worst of all was the TV: ANALOG, believe it or not. NOT THE HOTEL'S FAULT: I guess, unbelievably, they're all like this as "corporate picks out the channels". 20 channels, mostly sports and news, grainy picture. Come on, ESA, it's not the 80's. Spend a few bucks for a digital signal. There's not much else to do in a hotel room by yourself at night except watch some TV and this was awful.
Don't expect any kind of decent breakfast experience either. Apples, coffee, and packaged muffins was about it. At the same time, the price and staff were so great it almost makes up for everything else. Also they WELCOME PETS which is another big plus if you travel with them.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and they did their best. It was very quiet outside but the noisy temp contr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am delighted to read your remarks about the outstanding service . However, I am very sorry that the amenities did not meet expectations . In response to your feedback, I am sharing your feedback with the Managers council.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at mdw@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I moved to the area thinking we had everything all lined up to move into an apartment right away. You know what they say about the best laid plans, so we ended up staying in a hotel for much longer than intended. I'm glad that we choose this one to spend our time in!
The rooms are a good size and having a kitchen was wonderful, I didn't have to constantly eat out or keep buying ice for a cooler. The bathroom has a tall shower head, which my husband loved. The beds are comfortable enough, but I wasn't really a fan of the comforter - it is made of a slippery material and we kept losing it during the night. I ended up digging out a blanket from my car to use. Also, there is either a clogging competition held on the second floor every night or someone up there really had heavy footsteps. Look out for sounds of other people in the hotel!
The staff is great! Tyler is friendly and was able to give good advice on apartment hunting in the area. The girls at the desk always say "Good morning" and have a smile on their faces. The grab-and-go breakfast is appreciated too.
The only thing I was surprised about was that housekeeping only comes by once a week. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but it was a new experience making my own bed in a hotel. All in all, it was a wonderful place to stay while we explored the area and found a new home!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on an upper floor. We were on the first and heard it every time someone wa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am so glad to know that you both have enjoyed our services and I hope the information regarding apartments was helpful. I am pleased to read that you found our guest room spacious and the fully equipped kitchen was an added convenience.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was the only hotel available in the area due to a Badger game and UW Madison Homecoming, and now I know why. Our kids are on traveling soccer teams, so we have experienced many hotel chains. We were very disappointed with the Extended Stay. The lobby and elevator were dirty and our first room smelled like cigarettes. We asked to be moved and the next room smelled like fried fish. I realize that since this is an extended stay hotel, people will be cooking, but there are ways to get rid of the odors. The bathroom sink wouldn't drain. The furniture had burn holes in the upholstery. There was dog hair on the phone. The hotel overall was outdated and smelled musty and old.
There are two buildings to this hotel, and I have seen in other reviews that one is much better than the other.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I have to start with- this was a last minute booking for a work trip and the selection of places was thin. The staff were very friendly and assisted with all of my requests. I probably won't stay at another extended stay (unless there is not her option) only because I prefer the amenities of the Hilton family. No grave concerns, just not for me!

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Robyn - Thank you for taking a moment to recognize the service you received while staying at our hotel. We do our best to ensure that you feel welcome with every visit. I understand that our Grab and Go Breakfast, free WiFi and recently refreshed rooms do not always stack up against a full service property like Hilton, but we are happy you gave us a try.

Should your travels bring you back to our area, we hope that you would give us another try.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Extended Stay (55 Junction) last weekend and was pleasantly surprised! I had never stayed in an extended stay hotel before, but this was the closest hotel with availability for the night of the Badgers game (8 miles from Camp Randall). Tyler went out of his way to make sure our room was ready early, in time for us to get to the game, and helped us figure out which bus to take. Our room was an ADA-compliant room, the second of this type I've stayed in in just a few months. I have no disabilities, but I found this room to be much more updated and accessible than the other one I've stayed in. The room was clean and spacious, with a full kitchen, free wifi, a comfortable bed and a flat screen TV. Other than the towels being a little small and scratchy, I had no complaints! Thank you for making my night in Madison a happy one!

Also - a Green Cab ride from State Street was only $16 for two people - more relaxing and much less than any other cabs in Madison! I'd highly recommend using them for transportation needs.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for providing such a detailed and pleasant review of our Madison property. I am so happy that you enjoyed your spacious room and all of the amenities our hotel had to offer. As well, I am glad that our staff was so responsive to your needs, especially Tyler. I will be sure to share your kind comments with him and the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to see you again for future Badger weekends.
cadillac, mi
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel should NOT be confused with the hotel of the exact same name that is right next door. I thought I was staying at the Extended Stay America hotel that has a nice living area and room to spread out (which is actually the hotel next door to this one) instead I stayed at the one that offered pretty basic small hotel room with fridge, stove top & small sink.

The morning breakfast is just a "grab n go" type breakfast with coffee and muffin. The hotel is just ok for a one night stay, but I paid way too much ($100).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Deborah - I would like to start off by apologizing for the confusion between our two properties. We have a unique opportunity to offer a former Deluxe hotel for travelers looking for a little more in the room they are reserving. This unique opportunity allows our travelers the option to choose between a few extra amenities or cost savings. We both offer a fantastic grab-and-go breakfast, well equipped kitchens and free WiFi. We also both have access to the outdoor pool and exercise facilities.

We are sorry for the mix-up again. Still, we hope to see you again on your next visit to Madison.
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was rated a 2* on priceline. This was one of those places that has a small kitchen but one bed only. If I did want to upgrade to two beds it would be $10. Pets were $25 per day up to $150 but it sounded like they were particular on types/sizes. I chose not to bring mine but asked before going.

We just did a weekend trip to Madison and had a bed to sleep in. There was not a pool which was a bummer. Overall, it worked for our needs. They did offer a grab and go breakfast in the morning which included some muffins, fruit, granola bars and oatmeal.

The location of this hotel was great with easy access to the interstate. There were some restaurants nearby and a large amount of them by a mall about 2 miles away. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Kim - Thank you for providing such a detailed and pleasant review of our Madison property. I am sorry you missed out on using our outdoor pool. We share this and the exercise facility with our sister site, located in the same parking lot. It is heated to about 85 degrees and is a great change from the typical hotel pool that forces you indoors all the time.

We hope the warm weather will continue for your next visit to Madison, so you and your family can take advantage of this great amenity.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Extended Stay America - Madison - Old Sauk Rd.
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton
Comfort Suites Madison West
Homewood Suites Madison West
Best Western West Towne Suites

Been to Extended Stay America - Madison - Junction Court? Share your experiences!