“Great hotel in Downtown Madison”

Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The rooms are comfortable, updated, clean, and spacious. The view of the sunrise over the lake is a fantastic way to start a morning.

Good location - walking distance to most stuff, including some good restaurants.

The wireless internet in the rooms did not work very well - I was at the end of a hall, which might explain why.

The service was okay, some of it I found a bit off-balance.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank want_this_deleted
Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed March 22, 2010

The staff at the Monona Terrace was excellent. They helped us with all our travel needs including shuttle services (to dinner and the airport), our FedEx shipment, and tips on local restaurants. The beautiful view of the Capital from our room was icing on our exceptional stay.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Renny83
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Very convenient to downtown Madison with great view of lake.
Chop House Restaurant was outstanding and hotel had all the expected amenities.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Erich M
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My husband and I live in Chicago and for the second year in a row came up to Madison for just one night for fun. We love the location, close to the square, in walking distance of State Street, plenty of bars and restaurants and particularly our favorite bar, the Great Dane. Service was efficient and pleasant and we were offered two bottles of water from the gift shop upon check-in. Our room was at the end of a hallway on the fifth floor and we heard no noise from other rooms. The room was spacious, sunny and clean with a very nice view of the lake. The bed was extremely comfortable. We parked across the street in a public garage. The rate was reasonable, though I'm sure there are much cheaper hotels in the Madison area. For the downtown location, however, we were happy with the price and our experience. We did not use the exercise room, but did go jogging around downtown, so again the location worked for us perfectly.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WisconsinFanChicago
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Stayed 3 nights on business. Super nice hotel, great restaurant. Was a bit disappointed that I wanted to upgrade to the concierge level and was told "Sorry that is reserved for Gold members only", most Hiltons I have paid for the upgrade, or they have just given me access to the lounge , as I am very close to Gold membership. There was a line at check in, so I did not want to fuss. Odd that my colleague checking in with another clerk was a silver member and was upgraded to concierge, I guess it depends on WHO checks you in.
The rooms are lovely and clean, I was not honored my King request, and given 2 full size beds. The bath rooms were DARK. Printer NOT working in the business center.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank daisy20071960
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed at this "luxury" hotel for a Valentine's treat. The room smelled when we entered, and the chairs were stained. This was tolerable, but then we couldn't sleep a wink, because the walls were so thin that we could hear every word being spoken by the couple in the next room, and they were up all night long. To top it off, there wasn't any hot water in the morning. As we checked out, no one asked us how the stay was, nor did they thank us for coming. I haven't had such a poor hotel experience since I was in college, paying a tenth of the price.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wisconsinteacher
Manager_Jason_Smith, Operations Manager Jason Smith at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2010

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace. Also, thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review this helps us to improve on a daily basis.
I am truly sorry for the issues you have recently experienced at our hotel, unfortunately we did meet your expectations. This is not the type of experience we intend for any of our guests to have. I understand how you feel about our property but can I ask you to reach out to me to help us better understand your resent stay. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Jason Smith
Operations Manager
Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
608.260.1114
jasonsmith@hiltonmadison.com

Reviewed February 9, 2010

My wife and I were very impressed with the Hilton on our overnight stay. The location is perfect- on Lake Monona and near the Capitol square and connected by a skywalk to the Monona Terrace Convention center. The hotel staff was very professional, helpful, efficient. Our room looked out over the lake and was spotless, comfortable. I was concerned about noise citied in some reviews, but we had a quiet stay. I would think that if noise ever became a problem, one could choose the option on the heating/AC system that keeps the fan going all the time, providing "white noise" to block sounds. Our room rate included breakfast for two, which was a pleasant surprise. The food choices were way beyond most hotel buffet breakfasts- this was more like a high end European hotel's buffet- and the food itself was fresh and tasty and service excellent. We look forward to our next stay at this excellent hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WIRobert
Manager_Jason_Smith, Operations Manager Jason Smith at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2010

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace. It has been our pleasure serving you. Also, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and staff this helps us to improve on a daily basis. As a team we thrive off of our guests and their feedback. Your kind words have already been shared with our team. If there is anything that we can do to better accommodate you on your next stay, please feel free to let myself know or anyone from our management team.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon,

Jason Smith