“Where is all the staff?”

Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed January 3, 2006

We stayed at the hotel for a Birthday celebration. We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon. We drove up to use their "valet" service. No bellman anywhere. I went up to the desk and asked if they had bellman, and they replied that we could just get our own cart if we didn't want to wait. SO, I did, irritated. Finally someone came and took our car to "valet" park it. While I checked us in, my husband had to wait outside for the valet guy to pick up our car.

During our stay, I had cut my knee. We went down to the front desk to ask for a band-aid. They had nothing. No first aid kit....nothing. I couldn't believe it.

The place looked great and we did get a lake view room upon request, but the service needs a little revamping.

I have decided to give them a second chance as I have won a Priceline bid for $45 for this Friday night.
I wouldn't pay more than that.

So we will have to see.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank AwaitingParadise

A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, WI
Reviewed September 4, 2005

My stay here was run-of-the-mill. I was only in town for a night, and I did not spend much time in the hotel. The restaurant/lounge was small, but the food was decent. My room was standard, with a nice view. The staff was nothing special, but not rude. The hotel is in a great location in the middle of downtown Madison. Overall, it was an average stay.

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2005

We came to town over Easter weekend last year and used Priceline to bid on a 3* hotel in downtown Madison and got the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace for $40/night.

We experienced no problems here whatsoever. The rooms were clean, staff was friendly, and we had a wonderful stay. Parking is a bit of a problem, but you're downtown in a large city that is situated between two lakes. Parking is a problem EVERYWHERE in Madison. We found that there were plenty of spots when we arrived (about 3 in the afternoon) and we essentially walked everywhere. The central location of this hotel makes it very useful for a first trip to Madison.

I am sorry that so many reviewers had problems with this hotel. We would gladly pay full price to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2004
9  Thank jpryde
Reviewed April 19, 2005

Here for company party, received discounted rate.

Complaints: front desk uncaring, unhelpful, bordering on rude. children running wild and unattended thru hallways, pizza containers lying for hours outside rooms. next door occupants loud until 5 am- walls seem thin. room very basic considering it is a new Hilton.

Positives: room window opens! nice city view. Breakfast very good, service there very good, polite. Excellent coffee in cafe. parking situation acceptable.

Overall, discounted rate was appropriate; would NOT pay regular rate.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank madison666
Reviewed June 20, 2004

The Madison Hilton is a nice looking place in a great location. It is not woth the money, however. As the most expensive hotel in Madison, I expected more professional service. While they are generally nice, the staff at the Hilton, from the desk attendants to the managers, were completely disorganized and apathetic.
In short, my money would have been better spent elsewhere, and your's should too.

9  Thank JojoDancer
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2004

The Madison Hilton is a nightmare. The lobby, location, and room decor are excellent, but the service and overall attitude is awful. I, together with my family and our wedding guests, strongly advise against staying here.

We blocked rooms here for our wedding on June 11 and 12, 2004. The front desk was entirely apathetic and unhelpful. Many of our guests did not receive the rooms they had reserved and verified. One guest was stranded post wedding reception until past 2AM, yet they still charged her the full rate. Several rooms were dirty well past the check in time and had to be cleaned, which took hours. Some rooms that were clean were missing towels and coffee.

The front desk failed to give me two absolutely crucial packages that arrived for me - even though we asked several times. Later, they mailed them to us at home, one without explanation.

My brother missed the rehearsal because the front desk swore he did not have a reservation under my Dad's name. Later, the front desk could not explain why someone told my brother that, confirming the resewrvation had been confirmed all along. After complaining, they gave us $300 off the entire room bill, to be apportioned as we pleased.

After coming to that compromise, my husband realized the Hilton had DRAINED his entire bank account via his debit card. To check in, even though his mother had reserved rooms with her credit card, the hotel forced him to show another card to get his room key upon check in. He said, "Do not charge this card under any circumstances." The front desk GUARANTEED that it would not - that it was merely procedure to get the key. Yesterday, our checks started bouncing. The Hilton, without authorization, charged his debit card for all of his family's rooms for two nights - even though his mother had confirmed to use HER card. They reversed the charges when we called to complain, yet today my sales representative directed me to the accounting manager instead of taking charge of this further mishap.

The problems we experienced were varied - the Hilton was negligent and incompetent in every respect; this was not just an isolated incident with one or two guests. Please, for your own sanity, avoid the Madison Hilton.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2003

Stayed at the Monona Terrace labor day weekend, 2003. Although the gardens are beautiful, the location is great, and the decor of the hotel has been very thoughtfully planned - there were major problems with our stay and our room. This is a hotel that upon first glance appears to be a 4 star facility. However, we found that it functioned at a 2 star level. The rates are at a 4 star level.

Upon check in - the King, non-smoking room that we had reserved months earler was not available. There were no parking attendents or bellmen visible anywhere, and the hotel parking lot was full. The front desk clerk told us to park in the lot a couple of blocks away, and they would charge us for parking on the hotel bill. They told us to just take a ticket as we went into the lot, and show them the voucher they gave us when we left. My wife took the keys and voucher and other papers up to the room with the luggage, while I parked the car.

Well, when I got to the parking lot, they wouldn't let me in without paying, unless I had the voucher. It appeared that they had changed their routine because of the Taste of Madison event going on that day.
However, getting back to the hotel was a problem since I was at the end of a one-way street going the wrong way to easily return. So, I paid again and parked.

Since they didn't have the room we reserved they "upgraded" us to a lakeside room on the "club" level with two full size beds. This included evening appetizers and drinks, and breakfast.

The room had a beautiful view, and lovely furniture. But, in spite of the beauty of the furniture, somehow the room just wasn't attractive or well laid out. The beds were uncomfortable, the A/C kept the room alternately too hot or too cold, and when it kicked in it sounded like there was a truck starting in the corner. But, in a way this was good because it drowned out the constant drone of the adjacent elevators and some other nearby air handling unit. And, it had obviously been a room that allowed smoking, and was now masquerading as a non-smoking room after a few squirts of febreze.

There were swarms of lady bugs doing laps up and down the corner between the ceiling and the wall over the beds, and nests and webs of spiders on the same spot on the opposite side. One wall of the room had a myriad of tears, holes and tape from abortive attempts to hang something there.

The lounge that was supposed to have something to eat in the evening had a few very delicious appetizers. But, we got the last couple, and it didn't seem that anyone came to replenish them.

The water in the shower was tepid, softened, and without pressure.

In the morning, breakfast was supposed to be available from 6:30 -10:00 am, but by 9:00 there was essentially nothing left but a loaf of rye bread and some boxes of cereal - and during the ensuing hour, the food was not replenished. So, we packed our bags and went somewher nice for breakfast.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. I've had better stays at much less expensive hotels. I have no idea if our experience was typical for this hotel, but I doubt if I'll give them another chance.

10  Thank TravelinJabbo