“Restroom Falling Apart”

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Monona, WI
“Restroom Falling Apart”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I will start back to February. My husband booked us a room the night of our wedding reception. The reception was off site, but he surprised me with a room at the Hilton for the night. He went to check in around 4pm and for some reason they would not let him check in at that time. So we were rewarded with a free breakfast. After the reception, we drove up to find all guests outside and the fire department driving in behind us. Never did find out what actually happened, but there was talk of a malfunctioned fire alarm…not once but TWICE. They let everyone back in the first time but would not let us check in. Then it happened again and after all was clear, we still were not able to check in. So we left. They refunded us or did not charge us for the room, but I think that was poor service to not offer us something for our trouble. I called the Monday after that and we were sent a free room voucher to be used within 10 months with a bunch of restrictions. We decided to take advantage of that room and stayed last night. The service @ the front desk was great. The two gals were nothing but professional and polite. The main room was fine. What I would expect for Hilton quality. But what was lacking was the bathroom. There was mold in the shower and the shower was falling apart in a few places and the ceiling fan looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in years. See pictures below. We were both surprised as this was a “Hilton” certainly this room did not live up to the name. Feel like we were placed in that room because we didn’t actually pay for it?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here using hilton points. I booked a corner king room with 2 windows during our visit to downtown to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

The room had amazing views of the capitol and the lake. It was very spacious and well maintained. Just like one would expect of a high qualtiy Hilton.

What I will say went overboard is the staff and service. They knew it was our anniversary from a comment we made, and they had champagne sent to the room while we were out -- put on ice, with a nice card wishing us well on our anniversary.

The valet service is a must, since parking is hit and miss in the underground ramp. For $13, plus $4 in and out charge each time, it is well worth it.

We tipped lots since everyone was very helpful. And they were nice -- and sincere about it. Not something you see everyday. But then again, this is Wisconsin, and this is the best hotel in town, bar none.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Go for the high floor rooms with 2 windows. These are corner rooms and have more space and and de...
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed November 14, 2013

One of the nicer hotels in Madison (and priced as such) with large rooms and super friendly staff. I visit Madison 4-6 times a year and have stayed at the Hilton before but not in the past 5 years. I must say I was suitably impressed by their staff from the valet to the front desk staff - all were efficient, and Mr. Rogers friendly and helpful which was much appreciated after the 5-hour drive from Minneapolis.

I had a great room on the 10th floor that looked out over the lake. Nice view.

Since we visited on Homecoming Weekend the place was hopping but that didn't deter their smiles and service attitude (although the parking was full when we arrived but the valet took care of us without a charge).

The location is great, just a couple of blocks off the capital square which makes it easy to visit our other Madison favorite, the Farmer's market that runs each Saturday from about May until October. Having a fridge in the room was nice so we could keep all the cheese we bought fresh for the drive home to Minneapolis.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just a little note that packs in BIG thanks to Hilton Madison Monona Terrace.

I recently contacted the hotel to surprise a friend with a pre-paid room reservation. The friend's family had been dealing with health issues, trips to the pediatric ICU and all the financial strain that goes with it. The family was able to take a break from the heavy issues to be in Madison to participate in a half marathon.

The hotel was very helpful in arrangements for me to pay for the family's sleeping room and a gift of milk and cookies to be delivered to the room.

Daniel Schroeckenthaler and Mike Weaver went above and beyond when they learned the reason for the arrangements. They asked if they could also send a token of their support. When the family checked into the room, they received a fruit basket and heartfelt, handwritten note wishing the family well.

It's the little things that matter. I wanted to help this family and the hotel made it easy and made it personal.

Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Denver Area
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stay in hotels about two dozen times per year throughout the country. This hotel was a top 5 based on cleanliness, location, staff, and comfort. The staff was very helpful. The location was within walking distance to the capital and nearby restaurants. I would not hesitate staying here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DES MOINES
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed two nights in October. Got in late and was fortunate to be upgraded to a room with a king bed and Amazing view. Locked myself out without shoes and someone was gracious enough to call down to the front desk and they came up with a new key. Thanks for the help; that Is Service.

It was a goldilocks stay.

Room service breakfast was just right. Crispy bacon and eggs done per my request. Homemade-looking toast. Good coffee. Familiar food done well made it less painful to be away from home.

Good comfortable bed. Not too firm. Not too soft. Didn't touch the temp, because, yes, it was just right. All the basics covered. Fridge. WiFi. Big TV. Sitting area. Desk.

Get a Rom with a view if you can. Beautiful sunrises though panoramic windows. New favorite Madison place to stay for business!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the lake was amazing.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WI
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Traveled to hotel in October due to a Saturday night work banquet. Due to our son wanting to visit NIU for baseball during the day on Saturday we decided to stay Friday night as well. The hotel was nicely decorated and the parking staff very nice and attentive. Upon arrival Friday night, being a Diamond Member I went to check in at the Honors Desk. Since no one was at the desk I moved over to the main check in line. They had two people checking in. One was on the phone when I approached and the other was working with someone else. I was next in line however the front desk person look around me at the lady behind me and asked her for help. We both stated that I was in line first. The front desk person seemed to have issues with my reservations at first but then just said he had a message for me from the hotel's management. I asked for the message 3 times and he said it wasn't important, finally on the 4th attempt he handed me the envelop which did contain information we liked to read and an incentive for their employees. At that point he really had a bad attitude and the lady checking in next to me mentioned his bad demeanor. He didn't provide us our parking ticket which we found out the next day when trying to leave the parking garage that backed us up ten minutes, he didn't provide our free breakfast vouchers due to being a Diamond Member and when asked where the elevators were he just pointed and went onto the next person. I was completely shocked by his attitude being this was a Category 7 hotel. Of course, there were several other employees that were super and that needs to be mentioned as well. Our room was on the 10th floor but not as large as I thought it would be being it was a room for Hilton Honors Members. I heard from several other people checking into this hotel that some of the staff was not very friendly as well. With that said, keep that in mind when you travel to this hotel. These hotels cost a great deal to stay at but they need to keep up with the service levels of less expensive hotels as well. Since we only had two bad experiences that weekend with the same staff member and the hotel was informed, I would stay at that hotel again. Just make sure you have your parking and breakfast voucher before you walk away or you will end up paying extra like we did.

Room Tip: The high floors rooms have excellent views. Make sure you request one at the time of your reservati...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business