“Weekend In Madison”

Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Weekend In Madison”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I were in Madison for an awards event and we wanted a downtown hotel near the Capital. Doubletree and Hyatt were sold out, so our next best option was Hilton Monona Terrace. Unfortunately I couldn't find a cheap rate (but thanks for the heads up HayDavid and the Priceline bid) Well, thank goodness Doubletree and Hyatt were sold out - I didn't care for their locations at all, and the views would be mediocre. Check in at Hilton was fine and we were granted our request for a high level room with a Capital view: 12th floor with an amazing view of Madison and the Capital at night was awesome. They also gave us breakfast buffet on the 14th floor. The views from this buffett/dining room were fantastic - Monona Terrace and the lake on one side and the Capital on the other. (so obviously views are important in my hotel selections) King room size was ok, and bed was comfortable. Bathrooms are too small though and grout wasn't really that clean in the shower. Beware: $13 for parking as well. Overall enjoyed the hotel, views and location is great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DavidBuss, Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing those great pictures! That Capitol view is truly awesome, especially when it is lit up at night. We hope you will be able to join us again when your travels bring you back to Madison. Sincerely, David Buss, Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Greek first
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We got upgraded to a lake view, which is awesome. The rooms are nice. Clean. Quiet. The hotel is hilton priced. The breakfast is just what you'd expect. Complete and total buffet garbage. I'd bet most people don't eat breakfast in Hotels because the offerings are crap. The result is Hotel managers don't upgrade since no guest eat breakfast. I hate that hotels the Hilton treat this most important meal of the day like we are Motel 6 guests.

Room Tip: Lake view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike J
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Monona Terrace in Madison this past Saturday Feb 9th, 2013. In town for a badger basketball game. We were given a room over looking Lake Monona. Accomodations were nice, beds were comfortable. At check in we were able to catch a free shuttle to the game, driver was very nice. These were the positives... In the early morning hours like 2:30 we were awoken to a fire alarm and had to evacuate through the stairwell. Well thank god it wasnt a real fire beacuse 20 minutes later we were still in the stairwell. It was congested mess, every floor obviously was trying to get down the stairs and at the bottom poeple did not want to exit the building to go out in the cold. Hotel personnel should have been in the area to guide people away from the building, this was not the case. When we finally got back to our room and try to settle in, the little speaker where the fire alarm sounded kept making loud static noises and sounded like when a radio station has static. This went on for another hour, twice i called the front desk to ask them to turn it off and I could not get anyone to answer. Frustrated we went back to bed but I had to listen to that as it was located right above the bed I was sleeping in. We just get settled back down and the alarm goes off again, I coudn't believe what I was hearing. We jump up grab clothes and then it stopped again. Ths static continued though.
This was not a restful night at all, we were so tired the next day and had a 3 1/2 hr drive home in bad weather after that.
In the morning we went down and had breakfast in the hotel before we left. You would think they would have comped the breakfast for those of us that stayed there and endured the false fire alarm mess but they did not. When I checked out I told the girl, I think Krystal was her name about our experience and she was sympathetic. She did remove the $13 parking charge but I really dont think that this is fair compensation for what we put up with. I am disappointed with the hotel for how this was all handled and wished that they at least offered a free return for one night. I am a hilton honors member will continue to utulize their hotels but I wish this situation was handled better.

Room Tip: Lake or Capitol View
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jason_Havey, General Manager at Hilton Madison Monona Terrace, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for the review! I am sincerely sorry for the fire alarm that happened early Sunday morning. I can understand the frustration and inconvenience that it caused. The safety and security of our guests is our number one priority and we are reviewing this event in an effort to use it as a training tool to assist us in always improve our reaction to events like this.

I hope you can give us another opportunity to show you the true Hilton Madison experience in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly if you should ever come back!

Best wishes,

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Wake up call at 2:20am...the hotel fire alarm is going off...we evacuate. But first things first, I got a GREAT deal on this hotel by bidding on priceline.com. If you haven't tried it yet - it's well worth it. I got a room for the weekend at the Hilton for just $50/night....motel 6 price, Hilton luxury. Add to that the excellent service at check in - for both my partner, and later me. The room was clean and comfortable - there's a great pool, helpful staff, and all the other amenities you'd expect to find here. Not to mention really cool views of the lake, and the capital.

Our stay left an indelible mark on my memory though when the fire alarm went off at 2:20am. I groggily came to, got dressed grabbed my wallet and keys and then made my way down 3 flights of stairs into the parking garage and eventually out front with hundreds of other guests. A situation like this can be a true test of how well the hotel staff is trained and how well prepared they are...well this staff, this night - simply failed. We saw the night manager multiple times during the crisis simply running around seemingly looking for someone, anyone to take charge. He did not stop to provide direction to guests once, he was visibly lost, hopelessly incompetent, and unprepared for the situation he faced. As he continued running in circles, guests began making their way back into the hotel lobby to get out of the cold February Wisconsin Winter.

The manager didn't say "don't do that" or "you are welcome to stay inside where it is warm until the fire department arrives" because - he didn't say anything to us at all. Nor did he care about the one drunken guest who kept walking, in and out, in and out of the lobby swearing at other guests. About five minutes into our late-night ordeal a lone fire truck arrived, and three fire fighters grabbed their axes and headed into the hotel, marching past the guests packed like sardines in the flashing, buzzing, hotel lobby.

Fast forward another ten minutes...the firefighter leave, the truck departs, and the manager is nowhere to be found. Eventually the crowd looks up and realizes the alarm is now off, and begins making their way back inside. The climb up three flights of stairs to our room took about 20 minutes - 4 times longer than necessary for a normal pace. But this was no normal pace. No - we were helping the elderly, the overweight, the drunk, the sick, and the tired back to their rooms.

Once back in the room it took some time to decompress enough to fall back to sleep. Sleep that came just in time for....you guessed it - another fire alarm. This time just as we were getting our clothes back on - it was reset...just stopped buzzing and flashing. So again we laid down to get some sleep. About 30 minutes into my third sleep of the evening the alarm again came on for about 60 seconds before going back off.

Perhaps most frustrating of the whole ordeal was that fact that there was zero communication from the hotel management. No explanation of why the alarm went off the first time. No reassurances the second time, and no apologies the third time.

In fact even though the staff was still able to prepare our "early checkout" forms and have them conveniently delivered under the door in the early morning hours post-alarm, they did not have the foresight, or decency, to add a simple note explaining or apologizing.

In short - if you judge a hotel by it's face - the Hilton is great. If you judge in terms of competence...this place is anything but.

Room Tip: Lake view, or Capital view. Choose one - you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just got back from a stay at the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace. Service is wonderful but the location is perfect. Once you're there everything is walkable from state offices to the top, new restaurants. This time of year is bitterly cold so dress warm. The only annoyance is the extra charge for in-room wireless but it's free in the lounges - so that's sort of weird. The breakfast room is really nice and open with a fireplace and comfy furniture at one end. It's a great area to work and the breakfast food is far better than the standard hotel fare. Capital Grille off the lobby is handy for business meals but a tad overpriced at night. Rooms have everything you need for business travel. Don't bother with valet parking, just drive right into the courtyard, follow the sign to go through to the ramp and park B2-B4. The elevator takes you directly up to the lobby.

Room Tip: High floors get you unencumbered views to the Capitol on one side or Lake Monona on the other.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice review! It is a great location and it is a great location to work at as well! I can appreciate your comments about the internet charges. I am currently reviewing them as well the technology of our current internet infrastructure to see where we can make improvements! The goal is provide you with the best guest service experience and your feedback helps in that. I hope to have you back soon and would love to chat with you more next time you are here!

Best wishes,

Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very nice hotel. Just a 5 minute walk from the State Capitol and probably 10 minutes to State Street - the fun area of downtown Madison. The hotel room was clean and inviting. Two gripes - internet access fee (come on, really?) and the bathroom is small compared to the rest of the room. Fitness center is good - three treadmills, elipticals and weight equipment. Nice but small indoor pool. Parking is underground but ambient temperature. Parking is $13 a night. Staff was nice and friendly. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Facing the lake is the best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate the feedback! We are definitely reviewing our internet fees as I write this. Also, you will be glad to know we are currently specing brand new fitness equipment for the fitness center! It should be here early this summer.

Thanks for the review! See you on your next visit.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed two nights on business and was happily surprised by how good it was. The bar is great with super friendly staff who know their stuff about local micro-brews. The room was enormous and spotlessly with fast wifi. The jewel in the crown is however the restaurant. I cannot recommend the huge steaks highly enough, with an excellent (unsurprisingly, new world orientated) wine list. Service was brilliant. The staff could not have been nicer from check in to check out and had the good grace to be embarrassed about the $13 dollars a day parking fee. Great breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments on the Capitol Chophouse! We are very proud of our steaks, seafood and fantastic winelist. The staff has a true passion for what they are selling as well. We hope to have you back soon, make sure you say hi to myself or our Chophouse Manager Jen!

Take care,