“Nice rooms but noisy”

Ranked #38 of 63 Hotels in Madison
chicago
“Nice rooms but noisy”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spacious rooms with lots of amenities. The initial contact with the desk clerk was very pleasant, however other employees (front desk, breakfast attendants)were cold, inattentive but not downright rude. My biggest complaint is the noise. Although the rooms are well arranged so you can't here the tv, shower etc from the surrounding rooms, you could here everything in the hallway as if you had no door. So talking, running little children, and the doors of all the rooms closing. The doors on each room had a spring loaded hinge (or some such mechanism) that forced the door to slam close. I wonder if there is a way to adjust it so the door closes automatically without the slamming. Also the room is located near something (couldn't figure out what) that had loud trucks coming and going during the night. I actually had to wear earplugs to sleep.
Additionally the front entrance is difficult to locate and not welcoming.

Room Tip: Take earplugs and expect inconsistency in the attitude of staff
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AllisonCrawford, Manager at Residence Inn Madison East, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and kind words about your stay.

I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel and I want to assure you that these issues have been addressed. We are looking into our door slamming and working on a way to alleviate the noise in our hall way.

Allison Crawford
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Oostburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the two bedroom suite and the room was huge with great amenities. My daughter and I were in town for the Midwest Horse Fair and we will definitely consider staying again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank smgblg
Thank you for your feedback and kind words about your stay. We love hearing you enjoyed your stay!

Allison Crawford
Assistant General Manager
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Let me first say, that the overall experience was good after a 2 day stay on business.

The hotel appeared to be newly renovated, and the staff was extremely helpful and outgoing. That went along way.

With any residence Inn, you have the managers social which how could you go wrong with free snacky food and adult beverages. The room itself was smaller than most other residences but was well set up for kick back and get some work done.

Some minor issues. As with most hotels is internet speed. I guess my expectations of high speed and theirs is completely different. While not the worst, still could be faster. As always, probably room location has alot to do with it.

Also, if you want any food other than a perkins, be prepared to walk across a busy state route. There is crosswalks, but easily 1/2 a mile away.

NOW the big thing. At least during my recent stay. They have a box elder problem. While, not too disgusting. Having to track down a couple of beetles everyday was annoying.

If they clear that up. I would stay again.

Room Tip: make sure the box elder issue is rectified. !!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sal c
Jennifer S, General Manager at Residence Inn Madison East, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and kind words about our staff. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel and I want to assure you that these issues have been addressed. We are working to get the box elder treatment in place, so that the issue with them will not happen again. We value all of our guests' feedback and use it to evaluate what can be done to improve our hotel as well as what we are doing right. We hope with our continued efforts to improve, you will keep the Residence Inn Madison East in mind next time you stay in the area.

Jennifer Schneider
Tomah, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was impressive in size and amenities. I will be staying here again when in Madison. The only drawback was the location was hard to find in the dark from I-94.

Horicon, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for only 1 night and my husband and I arrived separately. I had booked a one bed suite, but when I got there the clerk had checked my husband in and we had gotten an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite with a fireplace and 2 baths. I use a cane and have problems getting into a regular bathtub so she also had us in a room with a roll-in shower. The staff really bent over backwards to make our stay their very comfortable. When we mentioned that the fireplace wasn't working, the maintenance man was there in minutes to fix it. Overall, a great place to stay. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Wisconsin
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We (husband and I, and nephew and wife with three kids) visited Madison for the state boys basketball tournament. We have stayed at this location before, and like the property's location, and the comp breakfast. Each of us had a one bedroom suite, and have to say, the recent remodel is a fresh, more contemporary feel. All of the staff that we encountered, was pleasant and helpful, and the property was clean and well presented. The breakfast attendant did a great job of keeping the area clean, and the offerings available. The only down side, was that one of our rooms was located near the rain gutters, and because there happened to be a lot of rain one night in particular, it was very loud. No one's fault, just blamed it on the weather. And when the hotel is full, parking is very cramped.
This property is located near the interstate, the mall, and many restaurants, just a short five minute drive away. We definitely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that if you're thinking about staying here pay more attention to the most recent reviews first and discard those that are from 5+ years ago. I was on the fence about staying at this hotel for an extended period of time because of some of the bad reviews and because a couple of people I know had stayed here a few years ago and had a lot of complaints. A lot must have changed in the past few years, though.

There are nice aesthetic upgrades throughout. You can still tell it's an older building, the front desk area is small, the elevator is older, and the toilet/shower area is kind of dark and dingy. Still, I gave this place 5 stars to hopefully help even out the overall score that's been brought down by old reviews.

PROS:
- Friendly staff.
- Housekeeping did a good job. They didn't clean our room often because of our schedule, but they left notes every time we had our "do not disturb" sign up to let us know they were there.
- Location. Really close to downtown Madison, with easy access to the Interstate and major roadways.
- Upgrades! This place has a HUGE sofa, too.
- Automatic opening front doors. The first I've seen in a hotel and quite handy for when your arms are full of your luggage.

CONS:
- Parking. It seems to be hit-or-miss. Some nights the lot was almost empty, others you had to either wait for a spot or park at Perkins (boo! I personally expect there to be enough parking when I'm paying to stay at a nice hotel.)
- Small business area. There's only one computer, and if it's taken you have to wait.
- The food. They have 24/7 access to hot water and coffee, as well as some smaller items like juice and yogurt, but that's not enough to redeem them for the sub-par breakfast. Even though I could take my complaining self back to the room and cook some breakfast, the quality of the food left a lot to be desired. We ventured out and tried some of the eggs, breakfast sausages, watered down oatmeal and make-your-own waffles... but the safest bet was cereal or a bagel.

NIT-PICKS:
- Occasionally you can hear some highway noise and sirens, but if you're not a super light sleeper it shouldn't bother you.
- The toilet/shower area was dark and dingy, and seemed a little more crammed than what I'm used to at hotels. It looks like it was forgotten during the update. But, really, who needs a luxurious toilet area?

Overall, would definitely recommend. Cross your fingers for parking and bring some groceries and you'll have a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Request the top floor, it was nice and quiet.
2 Thank Daisy B