“Good stopover but not much to rave about”

Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good stopover but not much to rave about”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just a stop over while passing through the area
Great location with easy access to the beltline and the capital - Friendly & helpful staff.
Many restaurant close by.
Hotel rooms are a little dated and in need of an upgrade. [Well the one I stayed in]
Room rate was ok - breakfast ok.

Happy hour was a nice plus!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hurley, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 17, 2013

[ Caveat: We were in Madison for medical care and asked for the medical rate. It was $89. I don't know if the room we were given was based upon that or not. ]

This Holiday Inn is located right off major highways in Madison and directly across from the Alliant Energy Center (expo center). I've stayed there many times in the past, but not since an unfortunate incident about 6-7 years ago. There is no view to speak of (railroad tracks, neighboring Sheraton Hotel, etc.), but the parking lot and entry area are sufficiently clean and orderly. There is a pool area on one side of the first floor and an exercise area on the other. We didn't use either, but they seemed clean and well maintained.

The room was sufficient for our needs, but does need some future maintenance - there was wallpaper curling off the wall near the bed and the bathroom door was really ragged, with much chipped wood, on the bottom.

One of the things I appreciated was the fact that there was a small table and two chairs (without arms), separate from the desk area. We ordered food and it was nice to have a comfortable place to dine. WiFi internet access is free. The beds were very comfortable.

The breakfast bar was extremely well maintained and had a variety of items: scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, cinnamon rolls, make-your-own pancakes, as well as cold cereal, fruit, yogurt, bread for toasting, etc. The coffee was delicious! The gentleman working in the breakfast area was great and kept his good disposition when he was berated by a guest unfairly.

The front desk staff was okay, but certainly could have been friendlier and more effusive. They offer cookies in the evening and (I think) wine in the evening during the week (we were there on Sunday).

I would have given it a 3.5, if that was available. I would probably stay here again, but only if the price was right.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want: there are rooms closer to the pool and those closer to doors, the exercise a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments.

We have made the minor repairs to the room that you listed. We're glad to see you enjoyed our new Serta pillow-top mattresses, our outstanding breakfast, and many of our other amenities.

We hope to serve you again in the future.
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice hotel, friendly staff, very good place to stay, clean.
Love all the amenities of the HIE brand. Hoping that they expand breakfast options in the future but that isn't reflective of this particular hotel.
Great stay for our little pop in and pop out!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our inn.

We recently added freshly prepared pancakes to go with our other everyday items; scrambled eggs or omelettes, bacon or sausage, sausage gravy with biscuits, four kinds of cold cereal, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, a variety of yogurt flavors, oatmeal, assorted breads, muffins, donuts, assorted milk and juice items, bananas and apples, coffee and of course our famous cinnamon rolls.

We would be happy to examine any suggestions to our menu.

It's our goal to exceed guest expectations and make your stay more than average.

We hope we have the opportunity to do so for you in the future should you return to the city of Madison.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Employees, very helpful and pleasant, rooms clean Fitness room good which is something I look for albeit a tad small. Breakfast average, bannanas were brown and hadn't been replaced the first day I was there but subsequently changed. Hotel worth staying for a night or two on the whole average

Room Tip: Next door there is a Sheraton Hotel very good restaurant, try the Walleye excellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our inn.

We apologize that the bananas available were not up to standard and will use your comments to improve in this area.

Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I will say that I am a big fan of IHG and usually prefer to stay at HI/HIE/CP properties when I can. My company only reimburses me the amount of their negotiated rate with another chain which I don't usually enjoy staying at and I pay the difference to stay with IHG.
This property is very nice for an HIE, the pool and hot tub are always perfect temp wise, never seem at all dirty, and I've never seen these amenities closed.
The breakfast is always very nice (LOVE the cinna rolls!) and the dairy products are as wonderful as you'd expect them to be in Wisconsin!
The rooms are always very nice (I've been upgraded to a corner room, which is larger and very thoughtful of the clerk, since I travel with training materials).
This is one of the cities I always have to rent a car in, and I've never had trouble parking.
I've never been told "no". Late checkout? No problem! Early checkin? No problem!
I've never met anyone there who didn't strike me absolutely loving what they do for a living. It's so refreshing!

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room. I liked the corner room I had a couple times, but that's because I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank slutcakes
BobLoskill, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Madison - Downtown, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at our inn.

Our goal is to exceed your expectations and we are glad to hear that we were able to accomplish this goal.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to Madison
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nice. Clean. We were able to get a very early check-in before an event at the Alliant Center. It was a great location for us. I usually use the fitness room at hotels, but this one was very small.....a long and skinny room. Kind of weird. (I skipped my workout.) The room did not have a microwave or refrigerator. The fan in the bathroom was quite loud. Breakfast was good, with many choices. I would stay at this hotel again, if I were going to the Alliant Center for an event. If location didn't matter, I probably wouldn't choose this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WisconsinArtie
Plainfield, Illinois
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Spent two nights here for the OSU vs WI game, good location, easy cab ride to Regent St. and downtown. Rooms were clean and bed was firm as usual, we like soft but what can you do. Right off the highway. Breakfast was good and the employees were all very friendly and helpful. I would return if in the area again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple