“Great Vegetarian/Vegan Food Choices- even my non-vegetarian friends like it!”
Review of The Green Owl Cafe

The Green Owl Cafe
Ranked #77 of 983 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Vegetarian/Vegan Food Choices- even my non-vegetarian friends like it!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Cute little cafe on the east-side of Madison. Great vegan/vegetarian food options (if you're like me, you get sick of seeing the same 3 vegetarian-friendly options on restaurant menus). Personal favorites are their kale chips, lentil soup, chili.... it's just great to get delicious food, in a cozy atmosphere, for a decent price. Delightful for a date-night, or lunch/dinner with friends.

• Visited October 2013

Florence, Italy
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We've decided our favorite restaurant during our three night stay in Madison was Green Owl Cafe. The heart-felt warm welcome we received there was priceless. The eclectic menu is all vegetarian and offers a wide choice of entrées, sandwiches, appetizers and desserts. We chose the veggie Schnizel and their special plate of brown rice & steamed kale with lemon tahini dressing. Yum! Then for dessert we had their coconut cream pie which was one of the best ever! A very comfortable, casual place in an interesting neighborhood of Madison. Reasonable prices considering the high quality. Not to be missed!

• Visited October 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Casual Vegetarian”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

An excellent vegetarian restaurant spot in Madison. Kale chips are extraordinary. I had a quiche in a puff pastry crust with a quinoa salad. Loved it and will go back when I visit .

• Visited August 2013
Boulder, CO
“Just OK; vegan schnitzel and "un-fish fry" didn't have a homemade texture.”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I apologize in advance if I come off as a pretentious vegetarian, but if you've eaten at Watercourse Foods in Denver, or at a Native Foods Cafe, or at The Wayward Vegan in Seattle, or at Leaf in Boulder, then you won't be impressed by The Green Owl. It's really terrific to have a vegetarian restaurant in Madison, and if I visit again I'll give them another try, but the items we tried during our visit weren't all that great. The vegan schnitzel patty underneath the (very good) mushroom.gravy topping was dry and thin, and the veggie-fish fillets looked almost exactly like a product (I don't remember the brand name) that I've seen at the Adventist Book Store where I shop occasionally, and they didn't really taste like fish. The chocolate lava cake was excellent, though.

I'm not sure if it's typical but on the summer evening we visited, the restaurant was quite warm (only slightly cooler than outdoors) and I was perspiring moderately by the time we left. I don't think I'd visit during the summer again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank emilyg28
Round Rock, TX
“Wow! Wonderful Vegan”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had crabby cakes - amazing flavor with superb chipotle rémoulade sauce, enchilada chili, and lentil soup, and VEGAN SCHNITZEL - great flavor and texture. We liked our meal so much that we ordered soup and chili to go for our evening meal at the next stop in our travels. Atmosphere was pleasant, service really nice and helpful with suggestions, and charming décor. Wish it weren't 1200 miles from home. I'd love to return.

• Visited July 2013