“Fantastic vegan food”

The Green Owl Cafe
Ranked #72 of 983 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Fantastic vegan food”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

As a native German I never thought somebody could sell me a Vegan dish as a Schnitzel, but sure enough... This is a great place to try even if you are not a die-hard Vegetarian/Vegan as you really do not miss the meat. They serve a nice variety of foods, and although the "crab cakes" did not taste that much like crab they were still very tasty. They do have a good selection of beers and cocktails, too.

Visited June 2013

Carbondale, Illinois
“Disappointingly overpriced vegan”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I went into this place with an open mind, and came out still hungry and annoyed. Everything tasted like beans, which, aside from the coffee, did not fit the description in the menu. Crowded, loud, and really vibrantly painted, this place made me uncomfortable immediately. I can see how it would be an excellent option for someone with strict dietary restrictions, but the portions were pitiful, and the flavor was monotone. I definitely won't be returning.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank carlyjane_25
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Not a vegetarian, but loved it anyway”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've heard lots of great things about this restaurant since I relocated to Madison last year, and finally gave it a try. I heard they have one night a month that is a raw food prix fixe menu. I decided to try it, and it was incredible. Who knew raw food could taste so...not raw!

They had lots of great options on their normal menu as well. I noticed a lot of regulars, which is always a good sign.

This place works for the vegetarian and non-vegetarian alike!

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Best meal in Madison”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I spent five days in Madison visiting out daughter. We ate out almost every meal in some of the most highly recommended restaurants. The dinner at Green Owl was hands down the best meal we had all week! And it was one of the best dinners we have eaten in a restaurant in a long time...and we come from foodie paradise (Portland OR)! The vegan jambalaya was as good or better than most in New Orleans. Don't usually like vegan cheesecake, but theirs is excellent. If you are vegan or vegetarian (or even if you're not) don't miss this place!

• Visited March 2013
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
“Wonderful food. No alergic reaction”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We always need to find places where our grandaughter can dine withour fear of ending up in the emergency room. This was that place. Dairy free meals for all of us assured here that relaxed time at a restaurant. Thanks to a caring staff and a wonderful chef. The food was delicious and i recommend the crab cakes.

• Visited March 2013