“YUM!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red

Red
Reserve with OpenTable
Red is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 975 Restaurants in Madison
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“YUM!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We went early on a Saturday night. Being small, the tables had all been reserved so we needed to sit at the counter. As they filled up I began to feel crowded and would have preferred more privacy but the food made up for it! The wait staff is very knowledgeable and helpful but we felt rushed d/t being so busy. I am new to the "sushi world" and not real keen on raw fish. I was impressed with the vegan and brown rice options and our Vegan Roll was tasty with pickled radish and marinated squash. The specialty roll, "Super Volcano", however, was amazing! Topped with fresh seafood and aioli, the flavor was absolutely incredible! I can't wait to go back but will probably try early evening on a weeknight.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
Pascagoula, MS
“Very good sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I ate here on a recent trip. There was a nice upbeat atmosphere and the servers were very nice. I had some sushi rolls and uni. Everything tasted very good. I would go back again since it was good and right in the middle of the downtown area.

• Visited April 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
“The BEST Sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Wow. This place is delicious. The atmosphere was very comfortable and the service was absolutely wonderful. Everybody was very friendly and the waitress was prompt. We had excellent cocktails (I recommend the Emily martini!) and had a variety of different rolls, my favorite being the Mermaid roll.
If you like sushi, go to Red in Madison!

• Visited February 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Yummy vegan & vegetarian sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Not a big sushi fan, but love the vegan and vegetarian sushi options, and I'm neither a vegetarian or vegan! The shiitake roll is amazing. A lot of my sushi loving friends think this is the place to go.

Madison, WI
“Unimpressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was looking forward to trying the latest addition to Madison's selection of sushi restaurants, so I did come in with high hopes. Unfortunately, I was disappointed, and probably won't go back, in favor of Muramoto or Wasabi which are much better. We started with Tuna Tataki, one of my favorite sushi appetizers. Alas, the tuna was overcooked (!) and stringy and tough, and the large amounts of cilantro were too non-traditional and lended the dish a schizophrenic Mexican flavor. Not good. The amberjack sushi was truly delicious -- it was the only dish I was pleasantly surprised by. We then shared three rolls - Dragon California, Badger and Vegetarian Tempura roll. The tempura roll was very tasty, and the dragon roll was good, but the tuna draping the Badger roll was stringy and tough. Overall, they try too hard on their rolls. I like simplicity in my sushi, allowing the flavors of the ingredients to speak for themselves. Red put too many ingredients in their rolls, and the pieces were cut unevenly and too big to eat in one bite. The service was mediocre at best...we were there late in the evening, and the inexperienced waitress was entirely too unattentative with little attention to detail. Water glasses not filled promptly, no soy sauce on the table, etc. Granted, it was a Monday night, so maybe they put their new or inexperienced staff on for the night -- perhaps a return trip on the weekend would yield better results.

• Visited October 2012