“Nice Brunch”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: E. Doty Street
Transit: Downtown bus lines are one block away.
Description: Phone: 608-259-9799
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Nice Brunch”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We went with our son and daughter-in-law for Sunday Brunch. My wife and DiLhad bloody marys, which were ok and my son and I had a couple of Corpse Retreivers No. 2s, a really nice gin and other stuff drink. My wife and son had the two egg breakfast which looked very good, My DiL had a crepes and mushroom selection that she said was great. I had the biscuits and gravy which was aome of the best I have had, lots of sausage in a rich milk gravy with two delicious biscuits. The wait staff seemd to be very attentive and our server claimed to have made the coffee a little stronger, since it was Sunday morning and it was delicious. A very nice choice for a Sunday Brunch.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank bigtomhen

“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I went here many times for the bar with friends (almost always their recommendation) and I never left feeling I recieved good service. The bar tenders take forever when making their cool artisinal drinks/cocktails and I notice many people waiting for drinks as the bartenders seem to be more about flash than substance. So obviously, I'm not a fan of the bar scene or bar service here.

The food on the other hand is pretty decent even after I went to dinner as a skeptic. The cheesecurds and the burger was decent. So I was plesantly surprised by the food and dinner service.

• Visited September 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Drinks & scallops are cool, stay away from the burgers”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

ordered the Merchant burger tonight, asked for it to be cooked medium well. It came with a dark to bright pink inside. Asked for them to please make it so there was no pink; got a brand new burger, also pink on the inside. I'm sensitive to eating pink hamburger, it always makes me sick. The guest to my left had a burger and it was also quite a deep red in the middle, but he didn't mind. The other guests at our group enjoyed their scallops, and pork, so I guess I was just the unlucky one. Note to self: get the scallops next time. For what you get it is a bit pricey - btw this is a $13 burger, and they took it off the bill because they got it wrong twice. mushroom soup - pretty salty. bottom line: signature drinks, rocking. hamburgers and soup, not so much unless you like 'em rare and salty.

• Visited February 2014
WI
“Fantastic staff, interesting taste pairings, loud”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've been here a few times and the atmosphere is probably the main draw--it is a great location, just off the Capitol Square and across from the original Great Dane--and the interesting jars and bottles that line one wall, handwritten chalk signs add a lot of character. Unfortunately, it is all hard surfaces--no rugs or curtains to absorb the sound, and there is a lot of sound. We just went on a Tuesday for Restaurant Night--we didn't have a reservation and they didn't have an open table for 3 hours, but we were able to eat at the bar. (lucky we got there early--an hour later there wasn't any bar space either.) I have to say the bartender was incredibly attentive despite the hordes of people and definitely earned his tip. My companions asked him what was in every drink he made (they all looked very interesting!), asked for tastes of a number of wines, to identify the cheeses on the sample platter, and many other questions--he went out of his way to answer every question, give his opinion on all of the entrees, and even described their process for soaking the cherries that made their cherry chocolate custard so good. He never seemed annoyed that we peppered him with a million questions and even seemed to enjoy giving us the inside scoop. OK, the food... New York strip steak was excellent--more medium than medium rare, but very good. The carrot ginger soup was even better--one of companions said she would come back for this soup alone. Not too gingery, not overly pureed. The pork shank was enormous and delicious, but a bit cold in the center--staff apologized profusely and gave us a free cheese sampler. The star of the show was definitely the cherry chocolate custard--dark sweet infused cherries pureed into a delicious chocolate custard--wow.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank ChicaWi
Madison
“Good Food and Drinks”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Went in on a busy Friday night for late dinner but able to find two seats at the bar. The menu had some nice choices and the bartender was very attentive.

Visited December 2013