“The Coca-Cola was the best thing they game me….”
Review of Pasqual's Hilldale

Pasqual's Hilldale
Ranked #562 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Now, I don’t like spicy stuff – taco bell is just fine with me. However, the food I got had NO flavor and there was no free chips (I am accustomed to free chips and salsa at sit down Mexican restaurants)

I ordered a chip appetizer, and since I was paying for chips, I decided to get guacamole. I ordered the salsa mild. The chips were unsalted (not abnormal to what I am accustomed to) but the salsa didn’t taste like anything, not even tomatoes (and it looked like it was just diced tomatoes) and the guacamole was only a tiny bit better then the salsa.

I ordered chicken tacos. I prefer ground beef, but they only have shredded beef. The rice looked like something had gone terribly wrong and maybe it had been burnt or something. I tried it and it didn’t taste burnt, it just didn’t taste like anything. I LOVE rice of almost all kinds, but I hardly ate any of this. The tacos were not good either, the chicken was good if I had ordered rotisserie chicken, but I think they forgot to add the seasoning. Plain chicken, with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream on a soft shell didn’t taste right at all. I ate one and it was making me feel a bit sick (not like food poisoning, just like I was eating something that I didn’t like) so I just picked the chicken out of the second one. The picture is after I was done eating – I am a big fan munching and will eat most things that tastes ok if for no other reason than to be eating, but even I knew this food was not worth the calories.

I also ordered a Coke when I got my chips, I meant to say diet Coke but he left before I could correct myself. I ended up happy I got a regular Coke as it was the most flavorful thing I had the whole meal.

On the good side, it was really easy to get in, my food came out quickly and the portions were pretty big.

For the chips with salsa and guacamole, a Coke and soft shell tacos and my bill came to just under $19.

3  Thank howmanypeopleareon

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Over the course of the last many years, we have gone to Pasquals (Monroe St and more recently Hilldale) many times and as of last night we have now had food poisoning twice. Last night we visited and while the food was as expected, we ended up sick. It is not worth going anymore if my kids end up projectile vomiting and I have the s**ts......Based some of the other reviews about rancid food, its clear that Pasquals needs to work on cleaning up their kitchen, their employees, food handling, and/or their general hygienic practices.

2  Thank BobGraceSamAbby
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Seriously the worst food and worst service ever. We were a party of 8, which means that our tip was added to the bill--I guess the waitress felt she didn't need to try. The Anasazi Burrito was actually rancid! No one was happy with the food, except my son who ordered the hamburger. Enough said. The Triple Citrus margarita was pretty good but tasted like canned juice.

2  Thank Jill L
Reviewed November 21, 2011

At the Pasquales on Monroe Street, have had great food "every time", it remains consistently delicious. The Pasquales at Hilldale - less fortunate. One time it's really good, the next time a big disappointment. Love their enchiladas, however at the Hilldale one only for some reason they put some odd spice in in that tastes like cinnamon/chocolate. An off & awful combo in what would be - otherwise awesome enchiladas. Discreetly mentioned it to the staff & they became defensive versus offering a resolution. One bite was all I could stomache of that weird flavor combo. The chips & salsa are always good. Love their Chili-Cheese dip for chips too. Their taco's remain good. In the morning they make wonderful Blue Corn/Pine Nut Pancakes - Mmm - unexpectedly tasty. They're huge so one was a meal for me. Though closer to our residence & we would love to dine there more frequently; because of the inconsistency in the taste of food we stopped going there and only visit Pasquals on Monroe Street.

1  Thank Khariel
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Pasqual's is good basic TexMex. Nothing great, just good. Double taco is interesting and fun. Chips and salsa, etc., just ordinary.

The location, at the north end of Hilldale Mall, is good before Sundance, which is at the South end of the mall. Why? You can get a seat to eat before a 7 PM show....

Service tends to be good and food comes quickly.