“Could have spent all day here”
Review of Henry Vilas Zoo

Henry Vilas Zoo
Ranked #10 of 107 things to do in Madison
More attraction details
Owner description: Truly a wild place to hang out, this free zoo, located inside Vilas Park, features animals from around the world including African lions, South American alpacas and tortoises from the Galapagos Islands.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

In researching our trip to Madison I was excited to see they had a zoo. I was even more excited to see it was FREE. Then, when I got there I was even even more excited to see they had most of my favorite animals! Giraffes, Red Pandas, a Tiger, and the best one the River Otter! I took an awesome video of him swimming back and forth and climbin up his wall and flipping back into the water. So cool. The seals were quite active also. The zoo was great- nice big enclosures for the animals, clean, well kept. We made sure to purchase things in the gift shop to help support this wonderful place. The view of the lake behind the zoo was pretty and the carousel was neat.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)
All reviews
"reptile house"
in 17 reviews
"red panda"
in 15 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"lake wingra"
"street parking"
"whole family"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed April 21, 2014

You can make it through this zoo in a very minimum amount of time. I've been a a couple of field trips here with kids and that was a lot of fun for them. I haven't gone on my own with my son, but it might be more enjoyable that way.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a very small zoo but admission is free, which in itself makes it worth a visit. The day I visited it was cold and as a result, many animals were hiding indoors. For me, the best part was the aviary, which had many different kinds of birds (see attached photos). Unfortunately, there was nowhere to buy food or sit down for a coffee as the cafe wasn't open. I think summer is a better time to visit.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

If you looking for a few hours of simple fun hit this zoo. No dolphin show but they have most animals of a large zoo as well as food, a carousel, a picnic area,free parking and more. The location is in town near campus and on the bus line.

1  Thank rick s