“Excellent ice cream, mediocre sandwiches”

Babcock Hall Dairy Store
Ranked #1 of 27 Dessert in Madison
Description: One of the biggest names in modern Dairy (Babcock) combined with Ice Cream (which I, ice cream expert, rank as a five). This needs adding.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We went to Babcock Hall for lunch and ice cream. Teh sandwiches my wife and I had were pretty mediocre. I'd recommend coming here only for the ice cream. It was excellent, the portions were generous and the prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Not as many flavors as we had hoped. I had chocolate peanut butter & banana peanut butter in a dish, it was good.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I always make a side trip to Babock's when in Madison. They feature special flavors like the "Berry Alvarez", to honor the legendary football coach (now AD), and have others as well. I go with some berry flavor and my wife gets the peanut butter chocolate. There is cozy outdoor patio and we feed the chipmunks a bit of the cone! The UW Ag Students actually make the ice cream, which is superb, so you're supporting the university and eating a special treat, all near the 2 lakes, in a gorgeous campus setting. Can you think of a better first date impression?

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had grilled cheese sandwich, soup, and a Wisconsin-style quesadilla and also picked up some cheese curds to go. Definitely more variety and better than what I expected when we stumbled upon the dairy store.
You can also go upstairs to the observation deck. They were filling ice cream tubs when we were there. Yum!!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

You can't beat Babcock Hall for the BEST ice cream, frozen yogurt and sherbet!
Very generous scoops are served--a single scoop is like a double at most other places!
Excellent cold and grilled sandwiches and taco salads are served, as well (until 3 PM, I believe.)