“They concentrate harder on style than food.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Bub's Burger Joint
Cuisines: American
Madison, WI
“They concentrate harder on style than food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

I've been there twice. The main problem with this place is the affected style in which the food is ordered and served. You can tell they are trying to be something - a vintage style burger joint or something but it comes off as phony. I understand this is similar to the Five Guys chain. You go to the counter and you have to write your order on a little slip, which is then passed to the cook. They made me do this even though I was the only person there. You take a seat on the usual hard bench booths and a few minutes later your order is ready - and handed to you in a greasy paper bag. Even if you're eating in. On my first visit I had the steak sandwich, which was dry and a little tough. The fries are made there, they are large but they are greasy, a little burnt and very salty. But burgers are their specialty (that's why it's not Bub's Steak Sandwich Joint I guess) so I tried one during my next visit. OK, not great, not terrible, but for the price there are many better places in Madison to get a good burger.

• Visited September 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Friendly service, mediocre food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

The service at Bub's was very friendly and quick, but I have to admit that the food was not great. The burger was ok, but the fries were not. I know that these are the "fresh cut" fries rather than the standard variety, but they seemed more like they had just been overcooked at too low a temperature. They were greasy and burned, definately not worth the money.

• Visited January 2011