“Clean and Spacious!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
Wisconsin Union Hotel
Plymouth, Wisconsin
“Clean and Spacious!!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This Union Hotel on the University of Madison Campus near Camp Randall Stadium (Home of the Fabulous Badgers) blew my socks off, literally, on the cleanliness and spaciousness of this hotel room. WOW! I had a King size bed, view of Camp Randall, plenty of restaurants, stores, and a coffee shop located onsite along with a multi-level recreational area right there. My stay was only one night but I can tell you that this place was well run, managed, and had a lot of stuff happening around it! My night stay was better than most hotel chains that I usually stayed at. I'm considering getting a Union Liftime membership so I can stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
wishotel, Front Office Manager at Wisconsin Union Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear 984RogerC,

Thank you so much for your rave review, and I thank you for mentioning all the Union has to offer. From the restaurants down in the Union to the beds up in the hotel, I am overjoyed that we exceeded your expectations in just one night. From the hotel management staff to the students, I know we all aim to provide not only a great stay at the Union, but a great stay at Wisconsin.

We hope to see you walk through our doors again soon, and if you do decide to invest in a Union membership, we do sell them here at the front-desk.

Thanks again!
Eric

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spent three nights here in March of 2013 during a semi-business trip and loved it. I'm a Wisconsin grad and enjoyed being surrounded by so much Badger gear (pillows and photos) and thought the rooms were great -- nicely laid out, comfortable beds, spacious bathrooms with all the necessary amenities.

It's unique in that it's obviously the student union, so you're not heading downstairs to a hotel cafe but instead to a few fast-ish food stops and bars. But that's also kind of fun -- how many hotels boast a bowling alley in the basement? And having a wine bar, coffee stand and ice cream shop on the first level definitely fulfilled all of our needs. Plus, one of the best breakfast spots in town, Mickies Dairy Bar, is an easy walk away.

If you're looking to stay right downtown, this is a bit of a hike -- you'd be better off staying in the State Street area. But if you don't mind walking around the beautiful city of Madison, this place (and the price) are right. I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank KateinNY295
Dear KateinNY295,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Wisconsin Union Hotel. I am also glad that you pointed out the uniqueness of our hotel. We are a hotel built atop one of Wisconsin’s famous Unions and have many facilities that a standard chain-hotel does not offer. Alumni and prospective students can stay right at one of the campus’ hotspots. With its Movie Theater, pool tables, patios, restaurants, etc., Union South is a place for all to hangout.

Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed in room 514 of the UW Madison Union hotel on the night of March 11, 2013. People were help ad friendly and the room was nice. The thermostat worked well and responded quickly, the TV was large and had a nice selection of channels, the web access was free and seemed decently fast (I did not try streaming movies) and the room has modern amenities such as using your key card to power on the room lights. The bathroom seems to have a motion sensor to prevent overly long showers (I didn't test it out to see how long it would take for the lights to go out) but was just fine in terms of providing soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. The walls were thin enough that when my neighbor's phone vibrated, I thought it was my phone ringing; and the refrigerator's compressor made loud noises at night, waking me up several times. I would recommend getting (or downloading) a white noise generator if you stay here since that seems to be a common complaint from the reviews! The room has all the standard amenities such as ironing board, coffee maker, (loud) fridge, etc. The towels were thick, but not particularly soft, but just fine. I did not recall seeing a room safe, but I was not looking for one. The taxi ride from the airport to the hotel works out to be about $21-$22. The hotel is adjacent to the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery (WID), the engineering quad surrounds the hotel and the physics building (Chamberlain) is just a short walk away (5 min?).

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 8, 2013

rooms/bathrooms really nice and clean;
bed and pillows were very comfortable;
nicely equipped with bathroom necessities;
really nice to have black tea as an option in the morning, not just coffee (would be great if they also had green tea);
staff is friendly and helpful (although one seemed to be a student in training and didn't know answers to some questions);
great workout room but basic (treadmill, seated biked, elliptical, free weights, ball), it could use a bench that converts to a seat, but if you know how to use free weights with a ball you can manage some exercises;
it is nice that it has really good and affordable food options in the Union (go to Harvest Grains for healthier options than The Sett);
internet super fast;
I could hear the neighbors talking at night, so sound isn't that insulated;
windows need total blackout curtains, but I've seen worse;
the phone in my room didn't work properly, but didn't really care that much

1 Thank Laura C
wishotel, Front Office Manager at Wisconsin Union Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Laura C,
Thank you for the feedback! We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I am very glad to hear that for the most part our rooms are not falling short of people’s expectations; I know maintenance and housekeeping works very hard to keep rooms in prime condition. I am also glad that the Union was able to compliment our hotel with its many dining options!

Regarding the front-desk staff, we do employ students and although they may not know as much as a full-time staff-member may, I do believe they bring something pertinent to the table. Our student employees carry the most knowledge of campus and the university itself for soon-to-be students and the parents of those students, a large majority of our clientele. I do hope you were able to find the answers you were looking for while staying with us at the Wisconsin Union Hotel.

We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Maryland
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was visiting the University of Wisconsin with my daughter and selected this hotel because it is attached to the school. And I would say as far as location goes it can't be beat. However I had a few bad incidents. My sleep was disturbed in the middle of the night by a very loud noise in my room. I called the front desk and they were not very sympathetic. They did not want to come to the room to see what was wrong. I had too beg saying this noise is not normal. I cannot sleep with it. Someone eventually came. It turned out the refrigerator was making the noise. The serviceman made some adjusent and the noise stopped. Next my daughter took sick and I asked of due to the circumstances if the hotel could extend check out for a few hours.An emphatic NO! She is sleeping in the lobby as I write this. Not much hospitality here

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank MarylandJan
Dear MarylandJan,
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Madison and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. Concerning your refrigerator, I know our front-desk representative came up to your room and personally dealt with the noise at 3am. Regarding check-out, I know your check-out had already been extended to noon, and being that we were sold-out that night, I unfortunately could not extend your check-out until 2 or 3pm. If the circumstances had been different, you may have been able to stay in your room until your flight.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the Union Hotel. I felt like an NYC exec as an alum. The service was great, people were friendly, and the room was beautifully decorated (Badger deco through and through but in a very classy way).

This hotel would be great for business, couples, family, anyone! Badger or not, you'll be treated like royalty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Eyleen C
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The room was cozy, not too flashy and had the required amenities. The location was ideal, especially getting to and from meetings at the University in -7 degrees F. The staff were excellent: helpful and courteous. Definitely the place to stay if you are at meetings, or even visiting for a short period.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ado376
Dear ado376,
Thank you for the review. The front desk and hotel in general definitely aim to make this the warm and welcoming place to be while on campus! I am glad that we could provide for you during your short stay.

I thank you once again for your feedback,