“Always Good Luck Here and........”
Review of The Coopers Tavern

The Coopers Tavern
Ranked #27 of 1,023 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We always enjoy dinning here. This was a very busy weekend in Madison with MMoCA, ART FAIR ON THE SQUARE. Friday night and the place was very busy but when we arrived there were still a few tables available. Shortly after we arrived the place was packed. Yep, others are correct, this place is loud but that has never been a problem for us. After all it is a Tavern! Lots of beer choices and the wait staff always seems to know the beers. Food is above average for this type of a bar/restaurant. Staff like I said, knows the beers and also the menu. I had the fish and chips tonight which was very good! We had been working several hours on the square setting up and checking the artists in for the weekend event. We were tired and just wanted to enjoy a beer and a slow paced dinner. We were able to do both. Standing room only, waiting list at the door, we told the waiter we had been working and just wanted to relax and he gave us time to talk and read the menu. We ordered apps and entrée and had time to enjoy the app without being rushed. Another beer and then dinner was served. Never, ever, pressured to leave and I appreciate that which is shown in the tip.

CLEAN, LOUD, FRIENDLY with good service, and cold beer. We will be back again!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Visited for lunch on break from a seminar in downtown Madison. Waited a while for a table outside, but that was our choosing, no fault of the restaurant. The place was PACKED inside and out. Noise level inside is just what a tavern is supposed to be like - lively conversations/laughter, dishes clanging.

I had the Coopers Burger - too big to pick up and bite, but I couldn't have it I had wanted to try anyway, as the bottom bun was soggy. However, the burger, real bacon, carmelized onions and Cheddar was fantastic. Cooked perfectly, full of flavor and the house chips were great.

The view of the Capital is a perfect backdrop to their outdoor dining area. Will go back for lunch and maybe try dinner sometime soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We've wanted to try this for quite a while. Loved the decor, service was great, menu had a lot of attractive options, but the food just did not deliver. Pretzels were fine but the cheese sauce was thick and just okay. The French onion soup was way too sweet. The grilled cheese sandwich was average, but the house made chips were inedible. They tasted like burnt toast and left a bad after taste. What a disappointment.

1  Thank Madkiss
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Great place to have beer outside on the square. Super beer selection. With that said, we went to test their burger. Found it to be below average. It arrived overlooked and the meat was crumbly, not moist and tasty. Probably will not return.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have eaten lunch here on several occasions and decided to try them for breakfast while attending the Saturday downtown market. Haley, our sever, did a nice job taking care of my group. I had the salmon and caper crepe which came with a teaspoon size piece of salmon and the crepe was a doughy mess I couldn’t eat. Good thing it also came with two perfectly cooked eggs and some nice pieces of fruit. Normally I would have sent the dish back to the kitchen, but the couple we were with was raving about the food so I went along. I would qualify this review by saying that my previous experiences here have been uneventful.