“Twice in 41 Hours Should Tell You Something!”

North and South Seafood & Smokehouse
Ranked #61 of 981 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We originally opened as Joey's Seafood and Grill in 2005. We added smokehouse items to the seafood favorites we already served. We are now North and South Seafood & Smokehouse. We want our guests to enjoy the cuisines that both my husband and I have enjoyed throughout our lives, living in various parts of the country. We hope guests will associate North and South with excellent seafood and smoked items, from Alaskan halibut to Texas style brisket. We have a full bar that serves craft cocktails designed by 3 Count Beverage, craft beer and a nice selection of wine. We have the earliest happy hour on the west side of Madison, 2:45-6:00 daily, with other daily drink and food specials. For lunch we can get you in and out quickly or would love to cater your business luncheon. Locally owned and operated by Keith and Erin Stoesz.
Watertown
“Twice in 41 Hours Should Tell You Something!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

A highlight of our 3-night visit to Madison was our two dining experiences at Joey's -- a Monday night dinner and Wednesday noon lunch. If we didn't live 890 miles away we would dine at Joey's at least once a week. Cod, sublime potato cakes, sautéed vegetables --- my perfect meal! Portions are just right. The two-for-one Wednesday special is an added bonus, especially since the prices are so reasonable to begin with! Acoustics and music are ideal allowing personal conversation without hearing other patrons. Bradin was our congenial and competent server both times, always ready with a water refill and a smile. Can't wait to return in the spring!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 1976Bride

“Moderate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We found our dinner to be of moderate quality and value. This neighborhood restaurant has a pleasant nautical ambience. Our dinner choices were Mussels w/frites and Perch. Mussels were large and prepared well. They were accompanied by a chopped tomato w/garlic. The frites were acceptable but not distinctive. Batter fried Perch were of good flavor. If you are seeking moderately priced seafood of good quality, Joey's will meet your expectations.

• Visited September 2013
Seoul, South Korea
“Not sure why everyone is raving about this place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I ordered the crag legs and shrimp. The crab legs were old, so they didn't taste fresh. The shrimp wasn't all that warm and basically tasted rubbery (I had them grilled with garlic butter). My sides were the seafood bisque (just so-so) and the broccoli, which was cold and not cooked completely. I thought the honey butter didn't blend well together, but the corn biscuits were decent. The service was very good. The prices were moderate. Overall, I definitely wouldn't return.

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“IF YOU REALLY LIKE SEAFOOD--WELL PREPARED AND REASONABLY PRICED--JOEYS!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Over a period of a few years (perhaps their 1st year), I've dined at Joey's many, many times for a very large family night, a couples night, business lunch and romantic meal (yes---it works!). I cannot recall the number of meals, there have been so many. Don't miss the "Fish and Chips", especially the Pollok. WOW! The "Hand battered Shrimp" is the best in Madison, by far! In fact, I've not had as good since the last time I was in FL---and that's saying a lot! I've gotten to know the Owner-Keith, his wife and their doll like daughter. Keith knows how to run a restaurant, knows how to work, over sees Everything and is a superb host! I consider him a friend--he's that good at his work and that fine a man. It's a casual Florida family seafood diner like atmosphere, so don't expect a so-called "fine dining" like area. However, if you love well prepared sea food, at an affordable price, well managed service and a great host, Joey's is your place in Madison. Way to go Keith!!

• Visited July 2012
Janesville, Wisconsin
“A local favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I are into seafood. (You will discover that in my other reviews.) Joey's has great seafood. It has been awarded a "Best of Madison" award for good reason. It is certainly a "best" in our opinion.
My personal favorite is fish and chips. However, Joey's doesn't just serve any old fish; they serve Halibut -- my favorite fish dish. Then I add a side of red beans and rice. You will also get fries or slaw. Wow!
My wife loves the potato pancakes, the shrimp, as well as the salmon.
The clam chowder is also excellent as are the corn muffins that come with every meal.
Frankly, we have yet to find something on the menu that isn't a cut above.
Pricey? Yes. However, have you priced Halibut lately? We are not talking Tilapia, friends. All in all, the price is equal to the quality of the food.
If price is a big deal, you can get one of the daily specials which will save you a few shekels.
The service is friendly and attentive.
The kitchen is open. (I like to be able to look into the kitchen.)
The place is clean.
What is there not to like at Joeys?
I think if you try it, it will become one of your favorites too.

• Visited June 2013