“Not sure why everyone is raving about this place”

North and South Seafood & Smokehouse
Ranked #93 of 1,020 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We originally opened as Joey's Seafood and Grill in 2005. We added smokehouse items to the seafood favorites we already served. We are now North and South Seafood & Smokehouse. We want our guests to enjoy the cuisines that both my husband and I have enjoyed throughout our lives, living in various parts of the country. We hope guests will associate North and South with excellent seafood and smoked items, from Alaskan halibut to Texas style brisket. We have a full bar that serves craft cocktails designed by 3 Count Beverage, craft beer and a nice selection of wine. We have the earliest happy hour on the west side of Madison, 2:45-6:00 daily, with other daily drink and food specials. For lunch we can get you in and out quickly or would love to cater your business luncheon. Locally owned and operated by Keith and Erin Stoesz.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I ordered the crag legs and shrimp. The crab legs were old, so they didn't taste fresh. The shrimp wasn't all that warm and basically tasted rubbery (I had them grilled with garlic butter). My sides were the seafood bisque (just so-so) and the broccoli, which was cold and not cooked completely. I thought the honey butter didn't blend well together, but the corn biscuits were decent. The service was very good. The prices were moderate. Overall, I definitely wouldn't return.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Over a period of a few years (perhaps their 1st year), I've dined at Joey's many, many times for a very large family night, a couples night, business lunch and romantic meal (yes---it works!). I cannot recall the number of meals, there have been so many. Don't miss the "Fish and Chips", especially the Pollok. WOW! The "Hand battered Shrimp" is the best in Madison, by far! In fact, I've not had as good since the last time I was in FL---and that's saying a lot! I've gotten to know the Owner-Keith, his wife and their doll like daughter. Keith knows how to run a restaurant, knows how to work, over sees Everything and is a superb host! I consider him a friend--he's that good at his work and that fine a man. It's a casual Florida family seafood diner like atmosphere, so don't expect a so-called "fine dining" like area. However, if you love well prepared sea food, at an affordable price, well managed service and a great host, Joey's is your place in Madison. Way to go Keith!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I are into seafood. (You will discover that in my other reviews.) Joey's has great seafood. It has been awarded a "Best of Madison" award for good reason. It is certainly a "best" in our opinion.
My personal favorite is fish and chips. However, Joey's doesn't just serve any old fish; they serve Halibut -- my favorite fish dish. Then I add a side of red beans and rice. You will also get fries or slaw. Wow!
My wife loves the potato pancakes, the shrimp, as well as the salmon.
The clam chowder is also excellent as are the corn muffins that come with every meal.
Frankly, we have yet to find something on the menu that isn't a cut above.
Pricey? Yes. However, have you priced Halibut lately? We are not talking Tilapia, friends. All in all, the price is equal to the quality of the food.
If price is a big deal, you can get one of the daily specials which will save you a few shekels.
The service is friendly and attentive.
The kitchen is open. (I like to be able to look into the kitchen.)
The place is clean.
What is there not to like at Joeys?
I think if you try it, it will become one of your favorites too.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went on a Saturday night, I do recommend call ahead seating. I had the crab legs and grilled shrimp, it was very good. The corn bread muffins are always delicious. It's not cheap, but I don't think it's overpriced for what you get. I have had consistantly good, fresh food here and great service. It's a nice atmosphere (perhaps a little loud, but that's just because it's usually busy). If you want a good meal you can count on, this is the place. Ten times better and more consistent than Red Lobster.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went for the crab legs until we found out the price. We could get two entrées for less than the crab leg special. That wasn't a deal breaker because they had a wealth of other options, plus half price bottles of wine. Then the food came and both dishes were overcooked. My cedar planked salmon was as dry and tough as a cedar plank without the cedar flavor. Then the bill came and our wine was not half price. Turns out the half price bottles were only house wines listed as "by the glass" on the menu.

So would I try again? Not sure. There are so many options in Madison and I'm here on business. The frustrating part was this was the only dinner where my wife accompanied me, so feel bad our special meal was not so good.