“Delicious crab legs”

North and South Seafood & Smokehouse
Ranked #60 of 980 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We originally opened as Joey's Seafood and Grill in 2005. We added smokehouse items to the seafood favorites we already served. We are now North and South Seafood & Smokehouse. We want our guests to enjoy the cuisines that both my husband and I have enjoyed throughout our lives, living in various parts of the country. We hope guests will associate North and South with excellent seafood and smoked items, from Alaskan halibut to Texas style brisket. We have a full bar that serves craft cocktails designed by 3 Count Beverage, craft beer and a nice selection of wine. We have the earliest happy hour on the west side of Madison, 2:45-6:00 daily, with other daily drink and food specials. For lunch we can get you in and out quickly or would love to cater your business luncheon. Locally owned and operated by Keith and Erin Stoesz.
Madison, Wisconsin
“Delicious crab legs”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This restaurant has actually gotten better over the years since they first opened their doors. I went recently and really loved the crab legs they serve here. It's in a nice setting, not far from West Towne Mall in a strip mall. A nice crowd of friendly people seems to always gather here for dining. I've met new friends here while dining with my buddies. Delicious shrimp here as well.

Visited April 2012

Germantown, Tennessee
“Good food at a great price and value”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The food and service were very good. They have daily specials including all you can eat crab legs. The prices were very reasonable and the entire meal was a great value and delicious.

Visited September 2012
Champaign, Illinois
“Good Seafood for Midwest”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I enjoyed our experience @ Joey’s so much that we each wanted to give our own take:

Chris:

I’m from the Midwest and I can say that there just isn’t much of an opportunity to get good seafood. My attitude about eating seafood around here is generally “Why Bother?”… But we took note of Joey’s because they had a tent at the Taste of Madison and we tried their Fried Halibut….and oh my, it was just so simple and mouth watering. So that night, we went over to the restaurant for a full meal. We ordered the dinner for 2 which was a veritable smorgasbord. There were Crab legs, 2 kinds of shrimp, choice of fries/veggies, soup/salad, and dessert. Go for anything fried and the bisque. It was all really fresh and we got some of the shrimp fried and the breading was just as good. Our waitress was great and very candid…telling us the best the restaurant has to offer. Basically, that boiled down to going for any of the seafood, but avoiding the salad/vegetables and opting for soup instead and going for the carrot cake if you get desert. This is one of those meals where you almost don’t feel like you need to eat breakfast in the morning….but in a good way.

Andra:

The battered halibut at the Taste of Madison was possibly the best battered fish that I have ever had, and I have lived on the coast and eat seafood regularly - it was the perfect combination of crispy, flaky, and had great flavor - no tartar sauce, malt vinegar, lemon, salt, or anything needed at all. I was a little worried about eating at Joey's due to some of the low ratings on Yelp, but I just couldn't ignore that fish.

The combination came with soup/salad, crab. shrimp, and dessert - we opted out of the add on lobster tail, which was good because we would have had way too much food. The waitress gave us great recommendations on what to try, since there were so many options. We started out with seafood gumbo, which was wonderful - Joey's serves it with gourmet oyster crackers, which right away impressed me - nothing worse than those little tiny stale crackers for my soup. As for our entree(s) - the crab was cooked very nicely, and came with drawn butter, the shrimp had lots of different preparations, and we got the battered shrimp (same batter as the fish from the Taste - we couldn't resist, and we were not disappointed), and scampi, which was very nice as well. We got mashed potatoes, beans and rice, and corn muffins, and it was all fine, but I didn't really eat any of it - I was enjoying the seafood way too much to get distracted. The carrot cake was great as well, moist, and not too sweet.

The restaurant is good for families (it's not fancy at all, but very clean, comfortable, and modern), has great food, and we sure enjoyed it.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Chris S
Iowa
“Joey's is a Joy!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

As visitors to Madison, we just wanted a late afternoon light lunch and were lucky enough to stumble onto Joey's. It was upbeat, stylish and smartly casual all at the same time. We ordered seafood bisque and clam chowder. It was just heavenly and served with tiny sweet corn bread muffins and clover honey butter. Next came an order of crab cakes to split which were light as air and crusted with Panko crisp flakes. These came with a fabulous remaulade sauce which enhanced the flavor plus a little fresh pico de gallo on the side that was a perfect accompaniment. It's when a restaurant makes such extra effort to enhance their selections with great side dishes and wonderful service that makes us want to go back. Even for a light lunch, this was just a great place to eat. Our servers were super and gave us all kinds of tips as to what we should see while we were in town. Congratulations to all who have created a delightful dining experience for us!

• Visited September 2012
Freeport
“My Favorite Madison Restaurant so Far”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The food and drink selection is excellent. We also really like the atmosphere and decor. It's quiet and peaceful. We usually share the crab cakes appetizer and then share one of their great salads. I especially love the Honey Lemon Grilled Shrimp Salad.

Visited August 2012