“Comfortable hotel near the Capitol”

Hyatt Place Madison
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Madison
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

This is a very comfortable hotel just a few blocks from the capitol building and walking distance to the university. Friendly staff. On Saturdays during the summer, the farmers' market on the square is a fun visit. Good free breakfast. Only drawback is the awkward closet.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have been at the Hyatt place for 4 nights. The rooms are very comfortable in terms of bed, bathroom, and living space. The closet is very small and in an awkward place. The free breakfast is ok. The egg sandwiches are very good, but the fruit could be better. They mostly have canned fruit and melon which are ok. The coffee is good. The breakfast area sometimes is not very clean, but today it was. The cheese plate we ordered In the evening came in a plastic plate, I rather not eat out of plastic. They do not bring the food to the room. You have to pick it up, but for this level of hotel I guess it is ok. The beds are very comfortable and the towels are large and fluffy. The rooms are clean, except the first day my room was not cleaned and I had to request that they do so because I had used up all my coffee condiments and the garbage was full. The pool is small for laps but it is nice and warm. The work out room is small with just a few machines. I prefer to run outside this time of year around the lakes, which is a great option.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The Hyatt Place in Madison provides a modern hotel with comfortable rooms in a convenient location in Downtown Madison. It is in walking distance to several restaurants and sights, while remaining quiet. The rooms are comfortable and consistent with Hyatt Place standards. The parking situation can be confusing when entering from the front of the hotel, but is easy after you figure it out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I came to Madison, WI the day before doing a 100-mile bike ride, the Trek 100 on June 7 from nearby Waterloo, and chose the Hyatt Place because of its downtown location. All I wanted was a quiet room for a good night’s sleep.

When I made my reservation in early May I requested a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevator and ice machine, and requested earlier-than-normal access to some kind of breakfast carbs, like toast or a bagel, because I had to leave the hotel early the following morning before their complementary breakfast was available. Reservations told me they could accommodate my requests. I called the hotel the day before my arrival, and they confirmed my requests would be accommodated. When I arrived at the hotel, at check-in I repeated my requests and was told they were taken care of. My assigned room was on the 9th floor (of a 10 story building), but opposite the ice machine. This was unacceptable, especially after confirming my room preference request THREE separate times. The only other available room was on the second floor, with the prospect of street noise on a Friday night. Nothing else was available, so I had to wait. An hour to hour and a half later a room on the 7th floor that was away from the elevator and ice machine finally became available. This was the kind of room they should have assigned to me in the first place. In addition, waiting around for this new room eliminated a lot of my spare time and the advantage of getting to Madison early.

My other upset with the Hyatt’s lack of service was about getting something to eat early Saturday morning. I had spoken to three separate Hyatt people about this, yet NO ONE spoke to or relayed the message to the person handling setting up breakfast that Saturday morning. That guy was great, and tried to help me and another bike rider who soon appeared. But he said it was really too bad NO ONE had told him especially since he had seen the night before all three of the people I spoke to. There is a serious staff communication and management problem at this hotel.

The Hyatt’s service was awful. I didn’t ask for much and they under delivered on that!!! I will not stay there again, and recommend everyone stay elsewhere, and there are many other hotel choices available. The Hyatt is supposedly one of a handful of top-ranked 4 and 3 star hotels in Madison. But what I experienced deserves a bottom-ranking instead.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Brandon-Chitown
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our room with 2 queens was the perfect size for my 2 teenagers and I. It was clean, the beds were very comfortable and the breakfast had a great selection. We love the basket of free green apples in the entrance and the staff at the front desk was very friendly. Although it seemed awkward to me that they can not seat (especially some of them were pretty tall and had to hunch to get to the computer), it made them look more available and ready to help. Overall, it was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2014

On the plus side, the rooms are quite large. The showers are huge and the beds are quite comfortable. There are lots of outlets. The staff is fine. There's a free breakfast - it's not all that good, but it has some hot items and good coffee. It's near the capitol and all the good restaurants and bars in Madison. The biggest negative was that my room wasn't very clean. There are huge couches and mine had lots of what looked like dust (but was probably lint) that was never cleaned. The furniture was chipped and worn, there was some sort of big mark on the wall (like something stuck and was pulled off), and the carpet in the common areas was really dirty. The other big problem is that they claim to have a free shuttle that can pick people up at the airport; when we called from the airport we were told that the driver was "unavailable" and that it would be 45 minutes, so we took a cab. Overall, I was not impressed and would try to avoid another in the chain. I'm surprised that Hyatt is downgrading its brand with this chain.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed 1 night for a business trip. Very nice accomodations, nice staff, nice lobby, nice breakfast, nice everything. Honestly just stay here it's nice. It's also right downtown with easy walks to the capitol, the lake and everything else.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business